Health insurance premium increased by 60% in 2 years!

simon43

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I had Cigna for a while. Got annoyed by their inefficient customer service (nothing sinister, just genuinely -- and very -- inept) plus April was cheaper so I changed.  With Cigna you (or the hospital) have to call the UK for everything. April has a local office that will handle pre-authorizations even if you are on the internationally issued  office issues  plan. Whioch is a real plus for communications with thai hospitals.

That said, Cigna is a solid company and many TV members have had very good experience with them, including multi million baht claims. And my general impression having been through application process with both was that Cigna is more reasonable regarding pre-existing conditions that are very stable. They will nto, for example, exclude hyppertension if your BP is completely normal on medication and you have not experienced any complications related to it and have no other cardiovascular issues.

I have Cigna now with the company I work for...big group plan that pays 100% overseas (workin the Middle East) around $36 a month lol. Got quoted around $230 month for after retirement on the website

Just an update to my OP.  I queried HCI about the large increase in the premium and they countered with a lower premium of about $980 a year for 15.5 million baht annual cover. 

As Sheryl mentioned, this premium is still lower than what my premium probably should be at my age, which means that it will increase at a higher rate than the norm over the next few years and as I enter the next age bracket.

However, so long as I moan to them each year and threaten to 'jump ship', they may reduce that increase to keep me 'on-board' ????

I did get a quote from Cigna Close Care, which was considerably higher than HCI's premium, but with a lower maximum annual cover.  Cigna offered monthly premium payments, which I prefer.

But Cigna wanted to exclude cover for my minor prostate BPH, while HCI fully covers that because it hasn't caused me any issues for 2 years and I don't need to consult a doctor or take medication (the slight enlargement of my prostate only came to light during an annual health check-up).

So I went back to HCI and asked if they could 'match' Cigna's offer of monthly premium payments....

The final result?  I will renew with HCI for full cover, no exclusions, and monthly payments (for a small additional premium).  The monthly premium for the next year works  out at about $88 USD per month, under 3,000 baht, which I think is pretty good as I hit 60 years old.

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

The final result?  I will renew with HCI for full cover, no exclusions, and monthly payments (for a small additional premium).  The monthly premium for the next year works  out at about $88 USD per month, under 3,000 baht, which I think is pretty good as I hit 60 years old.

That seems very, very competitive - under $1100 pa. In fact it seems dirt cheap. Any excess?

I looked at HCI a few years ago but did not factor them in when I shortlisted last year. Can't remember why I ignored them.

@topt, the HCI Emergency+ policy has a fixed excess of $2,000.  I have no copay.  I've had this policy for a couple of years when I was working in Burma.  Never had to claim.  As with all insurance companies, there are good and bad reviews.  For me, this policy is really for major accidents or illnesses, plus emergency evacuation when I'm in Burma.

As to the premium - it was under $900 a year when I took it out at aged 58, with no pre-existing conditions.  It is cheaper than other policies, but does seem to cover the important in-patient needs.

Archived