Trump seeks to move ahead with big speech despite Pelosi shutdown concerns

webfact

Trump seeks to move ahead with big speech despite Pelosi shutdown concerns

By Richard Cowan and Jeff Mason

2019-01-22T163625Z_1_LYNXNPEF0L1M4_RTROPTP_4_USA-SHUTDOWN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on border security and the partial shutdown of the U.S. government from the Diplomatic Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., January 19, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday attempted to move ahead with planning for a State of the Union speech to the U.S. Congress on Jan. 29 despite pressure from Democrats to delay it due to the government shutdown, as his immigration proposal suffered a blow from the U.S. Supreme Court.

No clear way to end the shutdown, which began Dec. 22, was evident, increasing the anxiety level of 800,000 federal workers who are furloughed with some struggling to make ends meet.

Trump's proposal on Saturday to relax his immigration policies for young immigrants known as "Dreamers" in exchange for funding for a southern border wall did not appear to be making much headway among Democrats who control the House of Representatives.

Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell said the Senate will vote on Trump's plan this week but there were doubts it would pass there. Leaders of the House of Representatives have already rejected it.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the top U.S. Democrat, had recommended Trump delay his State of the Union speech, traditionally delivered in the House chamber. She had cited concerns about security for the event with some personnel furloughed during a monthlong shutdown.

But, an administration official said the White House sent a request to move forward with speech planning and requested approval of the House sergeant-at-arms for security officials to do a walkthrough of the venue.

The request seemed likely to set up another clash between Trump and Pelosi, days after Trump abruptly refused to let her use a U.S. military plane to go on an overseas trip hours before she was to depart.

A House Democratic aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the White House had not responded to Pelosi’s letter requesting a delay in the speech.

On Saturday, Trump proposed ending the government shutdown by fully funding the one-quarter of U.S. agencies that are affected. In return, he would get $5.7 billion toward building a southwestern border wall that Democrats oppose. Trump also is offering to restore temporary protections for the "Dreamer" immigrants who were brought illegally into the United States as minors.

In 2017, Trump moved to end the Dreamers' protections, triggering a court battle.

Democrats promptly rejected Trump's plan as insufficient, saying they would not trade a temporary restoration of the immigrants' protections in return for a permanent border wall that they view as ineffective.

DREAMER BARGAINING CHIP

Trump may have lost the Dreamer issue as his main negotiating point on Tuesday when the Supreme Court refused, at least during this term, to consider an administration appeal of lower court rulings allowing continued temporary protections for the immigrant youths.

Instead, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program established by then-President Barack Obama in 2012 lives on with or without approval by Congress.

Before the Supreme Court's announcement, U.S. lawmakers were poised this week to take up competing remedies for ending the partial government shutdown, which has interrupted scores of vital federal services.

House Democrats also had legislation that would end the partial shutdown of agencies including the departments of Justice, Homeland Security, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor and Interior.

While their legislation would contain new border security money, there would be nothing for a wall.

Once the government reopens, Democrats said, they would negotiate with Trump on further border security ideas.

"We were optimistic that he might be open up government so we could have this discussion,” Pelosi told reporters in comments carried by CNN. "But then we heard what the particulars were in it and it was a non-starter, unfortunately.”

Representative Jim Clyburn, the No. 3 House Democrat, welcomed any effort by the Republican-led Senate to debate and vote on legislation to reopen the government following that chamber's monthlong abstention.

"This gets us started," Clyburn told MSNBC in an interview.

There were no guarantees that votes by Congress this week actually would break the impasse, as Trumpheld firm on his $5.7 billion demand and Democrats said they would not talk about that until the government reopens.

Many federal employees and contractors were turning to unemployment assistance, food banks and other support as the shutdown entered its second month. Others began seeking new jobs.

U.S. airport security officer absences rose to a record high over the weekend with some airports experiencing longer wait times and a least one major East Coast airport closing one security checkpoint.

(Additional reporting by Susan Cornwell; Writing by Richard Cowan and Steve Holland; Editing by Bill Trott)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-23

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

The "Big Speech" is only just the State of the Union speech and for Pelosi to deny Trump the venue all Presidents use, her TDS is overriding common sense.

What else is on the tube that night? Any other good comedians?

The "Big Speech" will contain nothing more than mistruths, misrepresentations and tooo much brag.

Trump is being played for the politically inept  ignoramus that he is. He has being maneuvered in a lose lose situation. He don't give the speech he looks like he lost to Pelosi, he gives the speech he looks like the uncaring idiot he really is. Masterfull maneuver by Pelosi. 

Many presidents have disagreed with legislators. Amazing that building and funding the wall was not an emergency for the 2 years the GOP held complete control, but only became an urgent emergency when they lost control of the House.
this simple graphic says it well ...
45sCon.jpg.7e6b3a24264f5cddb8bedea3100d0bf1.jpg

... only missing the point of it all being a great distraction from the corruption probe well underway. Bonus points, the justice system and courts are also going without pay, so this even succeeds in slowing the investigations.
Tug says it well - a laughingstock.

I never, well almost never, listen to his speeches.   It's a total waste of time, it's garbage in, garbage out.   I do listen to the commentary afterwards.   I prefer reasoned analysis of it than listening to it.   

I've listened to every President's State of the Union speech since I was a teenager, but not anymore.

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

The "Big Speech" is only just the State of the Union speech and for Pelosi to deny Trump the venue all Presidents use, her TDS is overriding common sense.

Yes yes... but of course the inclusion in the statement of  “all presidents use”, is false..... damn fact checkers!

57 minutes ago, Credo said:

I never, well almost never, listen to his speeches.

I pretty much can only take a couple minutes of POTUS sniffing up the snot from his nose when he makes speeches. I am not against Trump, just don't like thinking he is doing too much cocaine up his nose and his constant sniffing bothers me.

However I think this speech may well be news worthy for a terribly nasty reason; like Michael was being set up at the Italian Restaurant; I'm afraid the excuses for why POTUS wasn't protected sufficiently is already in play.  If I was Mike Pence I'd be in a safe house during that speech.

I think that Trump truly hopes that Pelosi blocks his use of the house of representatives to due the state of the union speech.  He'll have something else to blame her for and he would e3njoy his alternative, a rally in Alabama!

The thing I find frightening is that, if he does get his way, at the end of this year we could go through the whole charade of closedown again.

Also, if he can persuade them to change the sections of the wall from concrete to steel we can expect his speech to be all about how he has kept his promise and created thousands of jobs for the steel injustry.

21 minutes ago, huainnews said:

The thing I find frightening is that, if he does get his way, at the end of this year we could go through the whole charade of closedown again.

Also, if he can persuade them to change the sections of the wall from concrete to steel we can expect his speech to be all about how he has kept his promise and created thousands of jobs for the steel injustry.

Only 7 months away as the US government fiscal year ends in September.

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Ah bless, Boon Mee... you are just so adorable! An obedient puppy craving attention comes to mind everyone I read a post of yours. 

Doesnt it strike you as totally fair that  one of the leaders of the independent and equal branches does what whatever she see fits with the house of reps? 

I could be wrong, but I can’t remember your frustration with legislative branch obstruction when the senate refused to consider Obama’s Supreme Court nominee...

21 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Rock bottom is a better description!

If he does the speech it will turn out the same way as his speech about the Americans just  killed in Syria, 3.5 minutes on eulogizing the 4 Americans lkilled and 13.5 minutes promoting his wall.

4 hours ago, Credo said:

I never, well almost never, listen to his speeches.   It's a total waste of time, it's garbage in, garbage out.   I do listen to the commentary afterwards.   I prefer reasoned analysis of it than listening to it.   

I've listened to every President's State of the Union speech since I was a teenager, but not anymore.

My car radio is permanently set Blumberg financial news, Financial news have only one agenda, the bottom line. All the rest such as fox and to a lesser degree CNN are information entertainment outlets, their agenda is to cater to their market.

Regardless of the political orientation of the president , state of the union addresses are simply a political show containing nothing useful and a waste of time.   

6 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Yes the inconvenience to 800000 workers is nothing as compared to the inconvenience to Trump caused by the lack of access to that venue.

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Yes the inconvenience to 800000 workers is nothing as compared to the inconvenience to Trump caused by the lack of access to that venue.

It's a whole hell of a lot more than 800000 if you factor in the contractors and small businesses that are being affected.  Trump doesn't give a crap as he really thinks that they are all expendables for him to complete his agenda and can be replaced on a moments notice!  If he had to choose between the wall and Don Jr., Don Jr. should be packing his bags!

7 hours ago, RPCVguy said:

this simple graphic says

"Offering something temporary for something permanent isn't a proposal"

More so as temporary protection for Dreamers was already provided by the Supreme Court with no deadline that is only defined by congressional legislative law yet to be passed.

Trump gave up nothing in exchange for his wall.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

"Offering something temporary for something permanent isn't a proposal"

More so as temporary protection for Dreamers was already provided by the Supreme Court with no deadline that is only defined by congressional legislative law yet to be passed.

Trump gave up nothing in exchange for his wall.

He also got nothing in return.

The speech is to inform the citizens about the state of our union, by all means this is the perfect time for President Trump to lay out the state of the union. What a perfect opportunity to present how congress has childishly changed their stance on several issues simply because they do not like him. Perfect opportunity to spank them! 

Seal the borders before we become the mess that is France, United Kingdom, Germany, etc.

18 minutes ago, rgraham said:

The speech is to inform the citizens about the state of our union, by all means this is the perfect time for President Trump to lay out the state of the union. What a perfect opportunity to present how congress has childishly changed their stance on several issues simply because they do not like him. Perfect opportunity to spank them! 

Seal the borders before we become the mess that is France, United Kingdom, Germany, etc.

Memory loss much? The Republicans ran their midterm campaign on the illegal immigration issue. How did that work out for them? Even Rasmussen, Trump's favorite pollster, has him sharply down since the stoppage began.

Holding the government hostage to get what you want especially when the majority opposes what you want is the action of a dictator.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

37 minutes ago, rgraham said:

To be fair he should outline how withholding the pay packets of nearly a million people is going force Mexico to pay for the wall, which was his commitment. 

13 minutes ago, samran said:

To be fair he should outline how withholding the pay packets of nearly a million people is going force Mexico to pay for the wall, which was his commitment. 

Mexico have been called every filthy name in the book (the DJT playbook). They had a gun held to their head in order to agree to a modified NAFTA.

Mexico are probably having a great laugh at the expense of the clown.

Trump just dared Pelosi to keep him from doing his state of the union speech in the House Chamber on the 29th and she called his bluff and told him that he was not welcome until the shutdown ended and it doesn't look like it will end soon. 

The Coast Guard families are standing in food lines to feed there families and TSA has asked for volunteers to relocate to high capacity airports to help reduce the crowding.  How do they expect them to do that when they are not being paid so that they can support their families? 

The only wall that Trump is building is one around himself.  He should climb to the top and reenact an English nursery rime, Humpty Dumpty!

Archived