Truck crash on Patong Hill causes three hour traffic delays

webfact

Truck crash on Patong Hill causes three hour traffic delays – VIDEO

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

372530.jpg

PHOTOS: Kusoldharm Foundation

The driver of a truck, blaming failed brakes, has collided with another truck along with cars, pickups and motorbikes on Patong Hill late yesterday afternoon. The incident caused about three hours of traffic mayhem, particularly for traffic heading out of Patong. The delay also caused bank ups right through Kalim as Kamala traffic was trying to get through Patong.

“Stuck on the Kamala-Patong road, can’t even get into Kalim. Haven’t moved for 30 minutes.” Message from listener ‘Richard’ to Phuket’s 102.75 FM The Thaiger, at 7.15pm.

Patong Police were notified of the accident near Suwankeereewong Temple (Wat Patong) on Phra Baramee Road, the bottom of Patong Hill, just after 5pm yesterday afternoon.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/truck-crash-on-patong-hill-causes-three-hour-traffic-delays-video

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-23

Two buses collided at the top of that bend this morning.  Appears one swung too wide in its lane and clipped the other one. Blocking the two uphill lanes.

Damaged truck was still parked by the 'Blast Wall' at 0730 this morning.

Somebodies expensive BMW had brake failure near Kajonkiet School today, so did the minivan behind him, guess their were a few more cars involved, but they were gone by the time I passed. Traffic was backed up all the way to the Tesco Lights. Expensive morning for some people

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

When is the BIB going to do something about these fake brake failure claims and throw the book at these drivers for dangerous driving .

The problem is, the breaks probably did fail, but only after the driver turned them red-hot riding them down the hill instead of gearing down. The proper use and care of breaks needs to be thoroughly covered in the license testing phase when the drivers are applying for their license. 

5 hours ago, lom said:

brake failure = failure to brake

when i renewed my licence at Buriram i had to do a test sitting in a chair with a brake peddle and accelerator to test reaction time,about 8 out of 10 Thais failed it but still walked out with their licences,they just have no idea.

3 hours ago, Rawairat said:

Expensive morning for some people

And that's not the end of it, because I arrived home in Patong at 5 PM today having been stuck in traffic over the hill for at least an hour and the cause of it was (or seemed to be) a bus which had collided with the back end of a truck at the bottom of the hill, just outside of the Wat, again.

Perhaps they should knock that Wat down because it seems to be bringing a lot of bad spirits to drivers on that bend!!!!!!!????

Because of this the traffic was at a standstill for long periods of time and even into Soi Baanmon traffic was not moving because it seemed like a lot of folks, many of them minibuses, were trying to use that as a shortcut, thereby causing traffic backups.

Luckily enough I was able to reach the turn off to Hasip-pee road and cut across the top road back to the other end of Nanai.

Seems like three crashes in under two days now?? Horrible thought I know, but if a load of Chinese had been killed (again) and the Chinese delegation arrived here to try and sort this out, then the corrupt powers that be, might have to do something about that road......... but then again TIT so nothing will be done.

Well its been a couple of months since the last incident of 'brake failure' at the same exact spot, get xmas/new year out of the way and lets start all over again... deja vu, same place, same reason, same same...

The last Governor said he would sort it out (now hang on where did he go...?) Powers that be said Busses and trucks can only now use Patong hill at certain times - this will fix all these brake failures... (obviously Cement Trucks have free reign and can go hell for leather especially when empty, and are exempt form most traffic rules along with mini buses)

If people were not getting killed, maimed and injured it would be funny how often these incidents happen and the reasons given in reports? Instead it is sad, so very sad that a country allows its own people and visitors to be endangered by the lack of common sense and safety here on the roads and nothing this side of a long time is gonna change.

Archived