Ive been diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy

ubonr1971

Ive been experiencing weird heart palpitations and decided to go for an echo heart test. I often wake up in the early hours sweating with strong heart palpitations. 

After an echo test they said that the pumping function of my heart is around 48%. Normal range is > 60. He said it could be 1. cardiomyopathy or 2. issue with heart valve. ie the blood cannot supply the heart efficiently. 

He recommended a CT coronary where they inject hte contrast. He showed a pic where the patient lies down on the back and enters the round shaped xray. Is this quick and painless? Its not the same as the MRI with weird sounds going on. They said they have a new machine being installed in march and that this new tech will have less radiation. Im wondering if I should wait for this or go to my local public hospital as Im part of the social security system there or maybe just resort to this if I need surgery?

I also did an ultrasound on my abdomen bc whenever eating fatty foods I get severe upper body pains a few hours later and have to sit up in bed for 30 min waiting for it to go. I assumed it was heartburn. But the ultrasound came back clear and they said no issues on gall bladder etc. 

Any opinions on this are appreciated.

Which is your social security hospital? Whete do yoy live/work? How old ate you?

And what hospital and doctor have you seen thus far?

You are likely headed for some very expensive treatment and if possible it would be good to get under the care of a good cardiologist under SS.

For that matter the CT will be very costly.

I am surprised they don't already know the condition of your heart valves, echo should show this.

A left ejection fraction of 48% indicates a serious problem.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The scan itself is quick and painless; but when they inject the contrast you will feel a hot feeling in your head which then extends down your body. Not painful, but surprising, even though you are warned about it! The machine may make a noise, but it is not for long and easy to tolerate.

21 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

After an echo test

Do you know what type of echo test/equipment?  Normally if using ultrasound doppler or color it provides detailed picture of valves and operation of heart.  Perhaps if older equipment might not be as good but as said CT will be larger expense and radiation involved (as well as slight chance of reaction to contrast material).

A CT scan produces much clearer immages than MRI. The radioactivity is really low and as long as you dont go for CT scan every month, I think there is no problem. I had to go for CT scan every year during 5y. (Follow-up bypass)
As “FracturedRabbit” already mentioned , CT technology is quick (actual scan is around 1 minute) and around 15’ preparation time. Don’t pannic about the big volume of contrast fluid, the “hot feeling” lasts for only a few minutes and after the scan you are good to go.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, radiation exposure with CT is significant. So should be done only when necessary. I also do not understand how they could be unsure if he had a valve problem or not if he already had an echo done. Echo should show this.

But he has not given the full echo report findings. Possibly it showed valve problem and also some enlargement of the heart muscle (common in valvular disease,) and what they meant was that they are unsure if there is also cardiomyopathy or if the enlargement is wholly secondary to vavular disease. That would make more sense.

In any case it sounds like he does not plan on being treated by the doctor who recommended the CT. In which case priority is to see a cardiologust who he will be treated by and let that doctor determine what tests to do. Getting tests on your own at this stsge will delay matters and possibly waste money.

OP see my PM.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived