Royal Decree Paves Way For 2019 Election

webfact

56 minutes ago, cmsally said:

OK, so if a royal decree is necessary to announce an actual election date, then how did they announce the previous date that just got cancelled (Feb 24)  ??

It was the preferred date of the "government" up till recently, you may remember they even changed some important exams to accommodate that date. The "official" decision has to made by the EC following the royal decree, the"government" is not supposed to tell the EC what to do. Unfortunately the "government" were using the wrong astrologers and the preferred date became complicated when HRH announced the date of the coronation. Face has been saved by the royal decree taking longer than normal to appear (I guess the courier from Munich took a wrong turn).

Let us see if the EC comes up with a date that works.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Royal decree good, but Prayut and his cronies will keep thinking up any excuse possible to delay, delay, delay the election.

They will delay until they no longer can, then put a puppet government into power.

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"The election date  must  be  no  earlier  than  45 days  but  no  later  than 60 days  from  the  date  such  royal  decree  comes  into  force."

I agree with your comment Colin, but would PCO dare to go against such a decree?   The decree has been issued by H.M., but does it go into effect immediately i.e. 23 Jan 2019?

Quiet simply No , The unelected Prime Minister wouldn't dare go against a royal decree or any other instruction issued from the palace.

15 minutes ago, tifino said:

a genre-less version...  ???? 

besides... no one wears a hat these days 

To coin an old phrase: If you want to get ahead, get a hat.

It might be more appropriate for the present government : If you want to get a hat, get a head (contents not included).

42 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Quiet simply No , The unelected Prime Minister wouldn't dare go against a royal decree or any other instruction issued from the palace.

Also the organic election law was totally endorsed on 4 Dec which was legal binding to have the election completed within 150 days which will mean by end May. Prayut wouldn’t dare go against 2 royal decrees. 

The election law also laid out 60 days for election results to be made official. Working backwards from May,  March is most probable election month and results announced after the coronation. Prayut will have his day in the sun. He shouldn’t be too unhappy. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Good that there finally is a royal decree, will be real hard NOT to hold an election.

Interesting times ahead I wonder who will win and put their snouts in the feeding trough. 

If any of the anti junta parties, i wonder if they will try to remove the tough computer laws or keep them to suppress their enemies.  Just wondering if anything will change or not. Besides different faces in the feeding trough.

Doubt it. In another couple of years the elected party will be pocketing the police and AG in their back pocket and have their thugs terrorizing the judiciary and anti corruption groups, and ripping the country off. Never ending cycle and nothing will be different this time.

Two fairly highly-placed scholars whom I know - one (at Chula) a supporter of the junta, the other an opponent - are both CONFIDENT (have virtually no doubt) that Prayut will still be in power after the 'election'.

I agree with them.

Very few countries have " democracy" any more anyway, certainly not the US or UK.

I am not a lover of the present PM here but Thailand seems to do well under the Junta.

After the election (whenever it actually happens ) prepare for more unrest.

Having witnessed this 3 times there will inevitably be a 4th 

6 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Two fairly highly-placed scholars whom I know - one (at Chula) a supporter of the junta, the other an opponent - are both CONFIDENT (have virtually no doubt) that Prayut will still be in power after the 'election'.

I agree with them.

image.png.88ca04d2cbca543c0f6c5a16ebaf0b4f.png

7 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I agree with them.

Depends a bit how many votes the pro junta parties get. They need far less then the anti junta parties because of the senators. Still I wonder how it will work governing if you don't have a true majority. 

27 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I agree with them.

bingo we all just have to see the recent fake polls on how they're going to 'rig' the election. 40-50% combined for the junta gangs and 30-40% for pro democracy parties with 10% going to the snake charmers in the middle. No doubt they will let pheu thai get the the largest share at around 30% to make it look a genuine election. But with the senators in the bag then they will hold power. If it was a free and fair election the pro democracy parties will gain at least 70% combined and win handsomely

the next financial crisis is near, then passive giving up mode, will change into pure anger mode and escalate from there.

viva the revolution

42 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I agree with them.

Unfortunately I think you and your friends might be right.

4 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

A Royal decree, does that overwrite Article-number-NOT-TO-BE-NAMED ???

I think in Thailand basically ANYTHING GOES. There is no law - no REAL law at all. There is only pretend law - which is invoked when it suits the Powers That Be. It is all mirage, pretence, smoke and mirrors, empty verbiage. If it suits the Powers That Be - absolutely ANY law can be overturned at the drop of a hat (as are entire Constitutions - the HIGHEST 'law' of the land). That is all one needs to know.

However, with what looks like a slowing down of the influx of Chinese money, we will have to see what happens to the economy. A need to have the engines in motion so people are earning money in direct opposition to the fear of the majority getting any considerable control of the economy. If things collapse at the top it would mean big trouble.

On the whole people / families seem a lot less self sufficient than years back and that is a worry.

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I think in Thailand basically ANYTHING GOES. There is no law - no REAL law at all. There is only pretend law - which is invoked when it suits the Powers That Be. It is all mirage, pretence, smoke and mirrors, empty verbiage. If it suits the Powers That Be - absolutely ANY law can be overturned at the drop of a hat (as are entire Constitutions - the HIGHEST 'law' of the land). That is all one needs to know.

Good answer :WPFflags:

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

With the advantages on Prayut’s side and heavy odds stacked against his opponents, he better win or no hole deep enough to hide his face if he lose. 

Don't worry, Eric: he will make SURE he 'wins' (actually, he has 'won' already: that was decided a long time ago)!

4 hours ago, Ossy said:

Yawn - yawn.

Wake me up when (and if) it's all over,

My pooch knows more and he's called Rover.

When the royal decree's  enacted,

(The EC have 5 days in which to fix the date of the country's hastily arranged - i.e. within 5-yrs - election … an extra line, there, knowing the EC's pedantic need for detail)

We'll all go home subtracted, i.e. none the wiser.

Maybe you, the people who read the whole article will know it is between 45 and 60 days from now.

Archived