Luxury liner visits to Thailand good news for Chonburi tourism, TAT rep

webfact

Luxury liner visits to Thailand good news for Chonburi tourism, TAT rep

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Pattaya Update News

A tourism rep told Pattaya Update News that visits of luxury cruise liners to Laem Chabang deep sea port would add to the area's tourism potential. 

The Thai media reported that since the start of the year ships and lines like Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess, TUI and Holland America Line MS Westerdam had put into Laem Chabang.

Attaphon Thaweesunthorn of the Pattaya Tourism Authority of Thailand said that shops, restaurants and nearby businesses would all benefit. 

He said that some people on the ships would come ashore on trips organised as part of packages offered by the shipping lines and this was more good news for the tourism industry. 

Each ship has in excess of 5,000 passengers and crew said the media in its report. They also quoted an unnamed guide saying upbeat things about the ships' visits since the start of the year. 

However, Thaivisa notes that, conspicuous by its absence, was any mention that those on the ships would go so far as to visit Pattaya while ashore. 

Source: Pattaya Update News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-23

2 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Thaivisa notes that, conspicuous by its absence, was any mention that those on the ships would go so far as to visit Pattaya while ashore. 

Not much to see at Laem Chabang unless it is a gas turbine or Harbor Mall!

This could be bad for tourism. 

A friend of mine was on a cruise and the ship stopped there briefly. His takeaway “that place is filthy”. 

So all Thailand gets out of it is a short visit that kills the potential of a longer stay visit because of what was experienced on a quickie. 

And then it gets even worse when one considers how many others back home were told about the Thailand visit. 

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

How are mini-buses organised for the trips to wherever, by the ship ( local agent ) or is it a free for all, first come first served??

And 5000 passengers will need at least 200 minibuses crammed in Thai style.

Another thing not mentioned is the prices demanded by the taxi drivers who loiter at the dock.

I picked up friends from there once for the day. The port is one of the ugliest anywhere, and it takes an hour to get anywhere worth going to from there. Anyone who is accustomed to docking in places like the Caribbean would be very surprised indeed.

Caribbean:

ochorios_1111149c.jpg

Laem Chabang:

laem-chabang-chonburi-in-thailand-tug-gu

Also Laem Chabang:

hqdefault.jpg

Ooops.

Oh boy, Laem Chabang Industrial/Cargo Port!  Woo Hoo!   :blink:

The suicide ride in a mini-van along the Laem Chabang stretch of motorway (to Pattaya and back) will finish off the heartiest of the shore party. 

If this is going to be a thing, really ought to sort out Bali Hai pier or a closer-in, deep draft anchorage.  Even better, remove that ridiculous aircraft carrier they have around the corner in Sattahip, and share the space like they do some of the Thai civil/military airport facilities.

11 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Hopefully our traumatized Brits aren't on this ship.  The "dream cruise" of their life up to Thailand, and they wind up in Laem Chabang. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1079946-british-couple-shocked-to-find-crew-members-having-sex-in-their-cabin-during-£4800-trip-to-thailand/

British couple shocked to find a couple making love next to them in the bar sort of thing.

Watched, from Wong Amat, a cruise ship sail in and dock this morning at Laem Chabang. I think it's the same one that comes fairly regularly.  Will probably leave tomorrow evening around sunset so likely some of the passengers took a few day trips.  Pity there's not a more suitable dock for cruise ships.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Each ship has in excess of 5,000 passengers and crew said the media in its report.

This sounds very TATish. While some cruise ships can carry 5,000 passengers, even a few hundred more, most are in the 3,000 range.

Luxury liner with people who have cash to spend.  They will see that port and never return.  Instead, Pattaya will continue receiving many tourists with little to no money to spend.  Saw one of the typical no money Pattaya tourists the other day try to negotiate a 200 baht massage for 40 baht.

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How about a picture!

Not sure my camera phone is up to it. I have left the beach now. Next time I will give it a try. I had to scoot off today. Anyone else on the beach who can oblige - North end?

Archived