Owner of our condo we rent to refuses to give up a copy of the property registration and ID card

Hi,

I meet the requirements to obtain a marriage visa and have gathered all the documents that I need apart from the owner documents. However, my wife and I rent a condo which we have been renting for 2 years. We have asked the owner to give us a copy of the property registration and her ID card. We told her we need it for a visa at immigration. Now, she doesn't respond to our phone calls and messages to her our unanswered. 

We went to the juristic office and spoke to the manager, The manager said she can't give us that information without the owner's permission. Which is understandable. However, when we asked the manager to call her she refused to call the owner on our behalf. 

After spending time to gather all the documents we cannot provide further because of this. The only alternative is to use my wife's brothers house who are ok to give us a copy of their documents. However, as we don't live there I don't want to put that address down. 

We have always paid our rent on time and have never had any issues with her. I guess she is worried about giving us a copy of those documents as they are personal.

Any advice on how I can proceed with a case like this?

Edited by karl2007

I just had this problem. They are more concerned with the address and landlord's info than my wife's and my marrage. 

If I don't count all the copies of my passport then. 

Almost 3/4 of all our paperwork was pertaining to address and landlord. Even my last embassy letter I can ever use has my address on it. 

Pretty soon they will just micro chip us or put ankel tracking bracelet. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

she's not worried about the copy of the documents, she's worried about being fined for lacking to report you to the IMO and the fines could be quite a lot for the 2 years you mentioned

Surely they should have copies of both anyway when they did the change of address at immigration?!?!

3 hours ago, George36 said:

Would the quickest and less costly way be for him to pay an agent to get it done?  Maybe, 20,000 Baht more or less?  Much cheaper than moving and the visa issue would be solved.  Just my humble opinion.  Thanks.

You work for an agent maybe ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If immigration insist on getting these documents from your landlord, and the landlord refuses to give them to you, then your only option is to move. This same situation occurred for me several years ago. The reason the landlord doesn't want to hand the documents over is usually to do with the unpaid TAX they should have been paying on the rental income, which they presumably have not declared. You can't use an alternative address as a home visit could well be required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithet said:

I just had this problem. They are more concerned with the address and landlord's info than my wife's and my marrage. 

If I don't count all the copies of my passport then. 

Almost 3/4 of all our paperwork was pertaining to address and landlord. Even my last embassy letter I can ever use has my address on it. 

Pretty soon they will just micro chip us or put ankel tracking bracelet. 

Pretty soon they will just micro chip us or put ankel tracking bracelet 

what a great idea ,,, just the chip will do ,,, Go to immigration they scan you and on you're way. :thumbsup:

You can try giving a copy of your lease and explaining (if asked) that the condo owner lives far away and you can't get their papers. Some IOs will accept this, some won't. There may be a form to be completed by landlords,if so see if the condo office can complete it.

If this fails your options are:

1. Use an agent

2. Move

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Easier said than done, once you have moved into a place, settled in, and even like living there.
I had the same issue. Problem is they will try to steal the security deposit if you just move out.

Juristic office wrote a letter for me instewd and it got accepted, wasn't for a visa tho but other government agency.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, karl2007 said:

We have asked the owner to give us a copy of the property registration and her ID card. We told her we need it for a visa at immigration. Now, she doesn't respond to our phone calls and messages to her our unanswered. 

Hi. You don't say where in Thailand you are, but I heard of a few similar cases in Pattaya Immigration and the Officer asked tenants to bring/give them the phone number of the owner.

It seems that a direct call of an Immigration Officer to the owner makes strong effect, as for cases I know tenants get the owner's document in just a few days... :smile:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Don't pay the rent and the owner will answer your call.......it's that simple!

that's good advise,  because when it comes to their money they will want it but they also can go to the police and kick you out..... double edge knife

Landlords in other Asian  countries do this too.  I had to move to get household registration.  My landlords were of course government workers as well and did not want to pay taxes.   You can fight with them or move.   Found moving a better option.  Its annoying to say the least.

43 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Landlords in other Asian  countries do this too.  I had to move to get household registration.  My landlords were of course government workers as well and did not want to pay taxes.   You can fight with them or move.   Found moving a better option.  Its annoying to say the least.

What if you move and have the same problem again? Becoming a bit of a nightmare this scenario, I'd rather let a agent do it. 

9 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

What if you move and have the same problem again? Becoming a bit of a nightmare this scenario, I'd rather let a agent do it. 

I suppose before you sign a lease/ rental agreement you have to ensure TM30 responsibility is defined, perhaps even written in. Some condos the rental office takes care of all that. 

Edited by jacko45k