Re-applying for a Non-OA retirement visa within Thailand

After many errors by 3 separate immigration offices on our Non-OA visa, and because ultimately our visa expired due to these errors; immigration office told us to leave the country and apply for a 60 days tourist visa then apply at our local office for a Non-O. This we’ve done and we’ll transfer the funds necessary to apply for a Non OA. The problem is that as Canadian citizens we’ve lived here for a year and a half. (I should explain that due to those errors we could not apply for an extension)

For Non OA Immigration we need to produce a criminal background check from our local police in Canada. Is there any other way to produce a criminal check without returning to Canada? We plan to apply for a Non OA in Vietnam. 

i apologize if this question has been answered before

You cannot a apply for a OA visa at a immigration office. You apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration that does not require a background check or medical certificate.

Unless you are a legal resident of Vietnam you cannot apply for a OA visa there. You can only apply for a OA visa at an embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

• Like 2

I am new too and have no clue about the Non O visa. To start off I recommend that you provide the panel with enough details for ex you say there were 3 errors at 3 separate immigration offices. Be specific like what errors which offices. I read here that if I live in Chiang Mai then I can only apply in CM. What caused you to deal with 3 immigration offices, did you move 3 times, Etc.  I would leave Thailand on a plane and return to Thailand on plane, get a 30 day visa on arrival, turn around spend 1900 Bhat and get a visa extension of 30 more days. Now you have 60 days to work on Non O in Thailand. Get your paper work in order and apply.  A member by name Sandmonster posted a list of docs needed to get a Non-O. You need to show the financial requirements of 800K Etc. depending on your specifics. The money part is the most hard thing to get it right. 

Edited by Ravi98008
incomplete post
  • Like 1

To make a very long story short, The errors were compound errors in stamps and dates stamped on our passports. Also wrong information was provided by the various immigration offices. When it came time to renew our NON-OA visa then it became an issue and immigration offices tried to fix those mistakes by backdating the stamps and handwriting in our passports. Fortunately we had a Thai friend who helped us and we had to bump this up the chain. Immigration recognized there were mistakes made but by then our visa expired. Since we had proof these were not our mistakes we were 'allowed' to stay in Thailand but start the Non-OA process all over again.

Our local immigration office told us we could apply for a NON-OA out of Vietnam if we get a Non-O first. But by now we've learned our lesson not to trust everything we are told....

Edited by Such a Hairy Guy
typos. additional info

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot a apply for a OA visa at a immigration office. You apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration that does not require a background check or medical certificate.

Unless you are a legal resident of Vietnam you cannot apply for a OA visa there. You can only apply for a OA visa at an embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

So there is no way whatsoever to get a NON-OA outside of Canada???

How about if I were to mail all the required paperwork to the Thai Consulate in Canada. Would that work?

2 minutes ago, buick said:

i don't think you need a Non-OA.  as you said above, you get a tourist visa, enter thailand, then go to immigration and do a 'change visa' sometimes referred to as a 'conversion' to a Non-O.  in order to do the conversion, you need to show the financial proof (money in thai bank account).  the Non-O will be good for 90 days.  during the last 30 days of the Non-O 90 days, you apply for a one year extension of stay.  then you buy a multi re-entry permit, which allows you to leave and reenter thailand as you please during your one year extension of stay. 

Thanks Buick for the prompt reply. After the one year Non-O extension, what is the process to extend that, or must we start from scratch every year?

Thanks Buick for the prompt reply. After the one year Non-O extension, what is the process to extend that, or must we start from scratch every year?
Each year you apply for a new annual extension for as long as you wish to stay in Thailand. Starting new means applying for a new visa. So no on that. You can stay indefinitely on continuous annual extensions. Cheers.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

You can get a further one year extension on that same Non-Imm -O 

32 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

So there is no way whatsoever to get a NON-OA outside of Canada???

Not unless you got permanent residency in another country.

32 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

How about if I were to mail all the required paperwork to the Thai Consulate in Canada. Would that work?

You cannot apply for a visa while here in the country. It would be done illegally if you did it.

Also not sure how you would be able to get all the required documents while here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Final question: what is the benefit of a Non-O vs a Non-OA. They both seem to have the same requirement/benefits?

There is a multitude of differences.

A Non-OA can give you up to 2 years stay ( a year each entry) whereas a NON-Imm O you only get a permission to stay of 90 days. 

5 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

So then with the Non-OA you dont need to do visa runs but with the Non-O you do?

I used to live here on a Non Imm O multiple and I had to leave the country every 90 days. Sometimes I did a border hop, sometimes I had a little break in a nearby country. Returning I got a 90 day permit to stay. Potential total of 15 months. 

With a non-Imm OA (which is already a multiple), this is not necessary, first entry, a year permit, then just a trip out and back prior to the visas expiration to get another years permit to stay. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

So if I get this right on a Non-O visa multiple entry

1.  Need to do border run every 90 days
  2. before I leave get the form to notify them I'm leaving the kingdom (TM?) (at least that's what they told me at immigration.
  3. If I stayed more than one night outside of country need to report within 24 hours with TM30 at local immigration
  4. Either keep 800K Bahts in bank account or show 65K coming in from retirement income per month (Canada Embassy still provide letter of income & I understand Thai Immigration will accept this till the end of 2019? They did accept it for our Non-O application).
  5. 30 days before expiration, will need to renew our Non-O at the local immigration office.

Am I missing anything?

3 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

No need for a multiple entry non-o if you can qualify for a one year extension of stay.

You can get single entry non-o visa and then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it at your local immigration office.

6 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Either keep 800K Bahts in bank account or show 65K coming in from retirement income per month (Canada Embassy still provide letter of income & I understand Thai Immigration will accept this till the end of 2019? They did accept it for our Non-O application).

Immigration will accept the income proof from an embassy for along as they will still do one. Being able to use one does not end at end of 2019. No need to show the 65k baht coming in if you have the income letter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

1.  Need to do border run every 90 days
  2. before I leave get the form to notify them I'm leaving the kingdom (TM?) (at least that's what they told me at immigration.
  3. If I stayed more than one night outside of country need to report within 24 hours with TM30 at local immigration
  4. Either keep 800K Bahts in bank account or show 65K coming in from retirement income per month (Canada Embassy still provide letter of income & I understand Thai Immigration will accept this till the end of 2019? They did accept it for our Non-O application).
  5. 30 days before expiration, will need to renew our Non-O at the local immigration office.

Am I missing anything?

You may be mixing a few things up or am I? What I have highlighted in Item 4) suggests you have obtained a conversion of Entry to a NON-Imm O (from a tourist visa or visa waiver entry), obtained in Thailand at Immigration. Is that the case? 

Or do you have a Non-IM O Multiple Visa obtained in Canada?

If it is the former, UJ's second sentence applies to you.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it at your local immigration office.

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You may be mixing a few things up! What I have highlighted in Item 4) suggests you have obtained a conversion of Entry to a NON-Imm O (from a tourist visa or visa waiver entry), obtained in Thailand at Immigration. Is that the case? 

Or do you have a Non-IM O Multiple Visa obtained in Canada?

If it is the former, UJ's second sentence applies to you.

First point is correct. We applied for a visa conversion to a NON-O at Ratchaburi Immigration office. We have not received the response yet

First point is correct. We applied for a visa conversion to a NON-O at Ratchaburi Immigration office. We have not received the response yet
If accepted then apply for your first retirement extension about 30 days before the 90 days is finished on the 90 day visa.

If not look into applying for a 90 day O visa in a neighboring country.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Providing that is successful, you should be given a Permit to stay 90 days. In the last month proceed obtaining the one year Extension based on retirement. If you use 800k for financial, ensure it has been in the bank for 2 months prior. 

No border runs required.

No TM30 when you leave Thailand, but yes required within 24 hours of return, unless your hotel or residence owner takes care of it.

I think most of your other points have been addressed, sorry if I confuse.

Edited by jacko45k

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jacko45k for the post. I need to get an extension of a Non O 90 day Visa to a one year retirement. I understand that I have to do that 21 to 30 days before my 90 day Visa expires. I was told at the CM immigration office by a fellow American applicant that the documents needed for this one year extension is just repeat the whole 90 day Visa process all over and resubmit the same documents all over again. But from what I read in the forum, I get a felling that what I need this time for documentation is the 800K financial proof documents and nothing else.  Could you please be kind enough to list out the necessary documents needed for this one year extension, thanks very much. Do I need to provide them passport pages (all stamped) apartment office TM 30 notifications for my past 2 exits and entries. Lease agreements past a current showing an extension for another 6 months. A new TM 30 from the 3rd floor immigration office CM because these official documents have only a 30 days validity. All the Bank transfers documentation from US Bank. Cover letter requesting long term stay in the kingdom. Google maps image of the physical address. Etc. Thanks again

1548512776439.jpg

Edited by Ravi98008
Uploads

1 hour ago, Ravi98008 said:

But from what I read in the forum, I get a felling that what I need this time for documentation is the 800K financial proof documents and nothing else.

Your mileage may vary. I only do renewals these days but I will share my list with you. amended to fit your scenario..

Dress reasonably smart, get your paperwork in order not forgetting a pen.

Take a Valium then set off to bank. 

Withdraw some money from ATM to get a record for the day.

(For heavens sake don't go under 800,000 though????)  This is a savings account but I suggest do not for a FD account.

Update passbook.

Get bank letter from bank, ask the nice lady if she will make a copy of last pages of bank book showing today's entry. Sign it and add to pack.

Steel yourself and head for immigration.

Items needed.

Bank letter

Filled in TM 7 form.

Passport Copies, duly signed.

1) Main Picture Page.

2) Your Non-Imm O stamp.

3) TM6 Entry card and the entry stamp in passport.

Copies of Bank passbook pages covering previous 3 no now  2 months.

Also copy of Passbook main page which shows name account number etc

Double check you have signed all copes.

One photo.

Proof of address, for me this is my phone bill. Rental agreement or other may be requested, you need to determine this, it can be a sticking point.

1900 baht

TM30. Where I submit not usually requested but may be for you. I always take a filled in TM30 anyhow. You may need to show a TM30 slip from the owner of the property you are renting from.

Edited by jacko45k

Regarding your address...as mentioned above a lease etc.

Added note some offices require a map of your residence. Can be hand drawn. I used condo flyer that had map on back. Note to members using CW. They (some) io,s asking for map

• 1 month later...

Hello Forum members,

I need to get my one year extension before my 90 day non O expires and I understand that I have to do it 21 days before the 90 day Visa expires. If my Visa expires on April 16th then what will be the adjusted 21 day to apply before April 16th be ?  I am asking the Forum this question because I am not sure how to factor in the new year holidays April 12 to April 16 that fall before my April 16th Non O 90 day Visa expiration date.  Thank you all again for helping me with my retirement Visa. 

1548512776439.thumb.jpg.9ced9759ab878da04e0b9413cbf1033e.jpg

Edited by Ravi98008
Edit previous post

44 minutes ago, Ravi98008 said:

I need to get my one year extension before my 90 day non O expires and I understand that I have to do it 21 days before the 90 day Visa expires. If my Visa expires on April 16th then what will be the adjusted 21 day to apply before April 16th be ?  I am asking the Forum this question because I am not sure how to factor in the new year holidays April 12 to April 16 that fall before my April 16th Non O 90 day Visa expiration date.  Thank you all again for helping me with my retirement Visa. 

There is no requirement to apply for the one year extension 21 days before your current permit to stay ends. Thai is only needed when applying for the visa you got.

You can apply at any time now and your extension will start from April 16th.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello members,

I now have a visa good for one year. If you notice, you will see that I got the one year stamp even before the 90 days of the 3 month visa ended (April 16, 2019).   Here is my question, it is march 30th today and I already am at 795,000 Bhat  in my account. I have no plans to bring in  65K every month . My plan was to keep 800K seasoned all the time.  I went below 800K (NOW) since from some strange memory,  I was under the impression that the 800K seasoned has to be shown 3 months before the one year extension request  is made, in my case that would be JANUARY 16, 2020.  My Intention was to never touch the 800K Till April 2020, and draw money from my American bank account monthly as I need. I regret going low to 795K even before the 12 months . First thing after I get a response from the members, I plan on withdrawing enough money to make my bank balance be way more than 800K and never let it go down .  However the question is, did I already break the rule ? ( Seasoned 800K RULE ). Is it too late for me to fix my mistake of going below 800K now ?  Follow up question/explanation.  12 months before April 20 2020 will be April 19 2019 to  April 20 2020. Therefore if I show 800K seasoned between April 19 2019 to April 20 2020 will the immigration accept that as a check mark for proof of income to get a one year extension ?  If that scenario is possible then I still have time to get my bank balance topped up to 800K by April 20 2019. I do understand that I have to do a 90 day check in every 90 days for which I am hoping that I don't have to do an income verification process, expect for the tail end of my last 90 day stay before the one year extension expires,  correct me please if I am wrong here in my assumptions. Thanks again for all your help and assistance.IMG20190320130748.thumb.jpg.49c90b87aea3ac10302e6f50ec8dc43a.jpg

2 hours ago, Ravi98008 said:

Hello members,

I now have a visa good for one year. If you notice, you will see that I got the one year stamp even before the 90 days of the 3 month visa ended (April 16, 2019).   Here is my question, it is march 30th today and I already am at 795,000 Bhat  in my account. I have no plans to bring in  65K every month . My plan was to keep 800K seasoned all the time.  I went below 800K (NOW) since from some strange memory,  I was under the impression that the 800K seasoned has to be shown 3 months before the one year extension request  is made, in my case that would be JANUARY 16, 2020.  My Intention was to never touch the 800K Till April 2020, and draw money from my American bank account monthly as I need. I regret going low to 795K even before the 12 months . First thing after I get a response from the members, I plan on withdrawing enough money to make my bank balance be way more than 800K and never let it go down .  However the question is, did I already break the rule ? ( Seasoned 800K RULE ). Is it too late for me to fix my mistake of going below 800K now ?  Follow up question/explanation.  12 months before April 20 2020 will be April 19 2019 to  April 20 2020. Therefore if I show 800K seasoned between April 19 2019 to April 20 2020 will the immigration accept that as a check mark for proof of income to get a one year extension ?  If that scenario is possible then I still have time to get my bank balance topped up to 800K by April 20 2019. I do understand that I have to do a 90 day check in every 90 days for which I am hoping that I don't have to do an income verification process, expect for the tail end of my last 90 day stay before the one year extension expires,  correct me please if I am wrong here in my assumptions. Thanks again for all your help and assistance.IMG20190320130748.thumb.jpg.49c90b87aea3ac10302e6f50ec8dc43a.jpg

You are currently in Thailand on a one-year extension of your permission to stay. You do not have a multiple entry visa that gives a fresh permission to stay when you lave and re-enter Thailand. Indeed, to ensure your extended permission to stay is not cancelled, you need a re-entry permit when you leave and re-enter Thailand.

• Like 1