Thailand to hold first general election since coup on March 24

Jonathan Fairfield

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

But in the west we can criticize and have freedom of speech and the wealthy go to jail, and normally the army don't point guns and tanks at you. Military courts are for the military not the general public, to be held behind closed doors the list goes on....⚖️

Yes-it is a curious type of deflection that suits right wingers and Junta supporters very well because it employs fallacious 'what aboutism' which Thai apologists use at every opportunity..

One can only conclude that-if they are being honest-they have been here for so long that they have turned feral..(I met plenty of ferals) or their personal ideologies fit in very well with autocratic modes of power or that they are Thai and do not know any other real form of governance.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is much better than the end of February for reasons of tourism.

I may have to adjust my thoughts as to when the mass riots and potential civil war begins.

Id  suggest  a high  floor  for the best views

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

One can only conclude that-if they are being honest-they have been here for so long that they have turned feral..(I met plenty of ferals) or their personal ideologies fit in very well with autocratic modes of power or that they are Thai and do not know any other real form of governance.

There are quite a few submissive masochists in the world too in addition to the brainwashed. They'll be sure to cheer for the junta, more lashes to them, all the merrier.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So new agenda is :

24 March Election

24 May announce results 

24 July form new government

24 August new coup

24 August 2024 new election

Yes, it's a merry-go-round - or rather, a not-so-merry go-round - with ever-tightening circles of constriction and oppression each time.

By the way, I am sure quite a number (but not millions) of Thais will demonstrate in the streets if they really do have to wait nearly two months for the 'election' result, which is a total insult to the Thai people and utterly absurd.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

There are quite a few submissive masochists in the world too in addition to the brainwashed. They'll be sure to cheer for the junta, more lashes to them, all the merrier.

Very true, DrTuner. It is called 'Stockholm Syndrome' - where you grow to love and adore your captor and abuser! My Goodness - haven't the Thais been taught to do that!!

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is much better than the end of February for reasons of tourism.

I may have to adjust my thoughts as to when the mass riots and potential civil war begins.

When do the new Chinese tanks arrive?

2 hours ago, kannot said:

Wow  its almost as if  you are n the 21st century, just think if  they hadnt  had the new  tanks  Subs, Mercedes you  might even have gotten so  much  more..................meanwhile  back in the real Thailand our  Head  of  village (EX  ARMY OFFICER) has  just been sacked for misappropriating 300k  baht along with his "team"

That is a good thing isn't it? That he has been sacked? 

Like I said, I really couldn't care less who wins, they are all as immoral as each other to me. However, this rubbish that nothing can get achieved under a junta government is just that, rubbish. Our last few Mayors, under previous governments spent their time with their cows so the area never developed. It is all how hard Tessaban work to get budgets (so finding budgets to begin with and justifying their need during the application process). If anything, the junta have brought in a lot of extra budgets - for local development at least in my province, that my Tessaban has clearly taken advantage of. If others Tessabans don't, then wouldn't have mattered if red, yellow, or rainbow were running the place, the result would have stayed the same.

I think people misunderstand that the Mayor and staff have to look high and low for budgets and justify them, rather than having them handed to them. So if an area elects an individual who doesn't want to work hard, has lower than a already low Thai education (our Mayor at least has a Masters degree - albeit Thai), cant do effective research/presentation to get project approval, then Thais get what they choose.

The party that supports the current regime; The Palang Pracharath Party; was first out of the blocks to campaign for one of their candidates, in Kalasin province. It's almost as if someone had given them advance notice of the EC's announcement. Perish the thought.

57 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Elected. I know of no Mayors in my province that are appointed. 

Credit to your villages for electing the right mayor who worked and be accountable to the electorate. To those mayors who failed to fulfill their responsibilities, vote them out. The beauty of election aka freedom to choice their leaders. 

A post commenting on HM the King has been removed as per the following forum rule:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

1 hour ago, champers said:

The party that supports the current regime; The Palang Pracharath Party; was first out of the blocks to campaign for one of their candidates, in Kalasin province. It's almost as if someone had given them advance notice of the EC's announcement. Perish the thought.

I do not which party but they have been campaigning (and boring people) at funerals here.

The normal way to express myself would be "cannot believe" that the whingers are still at it even though the the election date has been set. But after reading some posts on here for years about the need for an election, in reality it is very easy to believe, and they will probably continue to whinge after the election.

23 hours ago, hansnl said:

Of course another Shin led government would be so much better and of course that government would abhor power, glory and money while never threatening redshirt opponents or using firearms and grenades and burning buildings.

Hey, Thailand was a lot more fun under Shin...... these lot are killing the place....

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I am anticipating someone whether activists, academicians or politicians to challenge that highly controversial law. Officially the junta is now a caretaker government and the NLA seized legislating laws. All decisions by the government will be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb by the public and may result in law suits if deemed as malfeasance. The purchase of the Chinese tanks may be on hold. That will be good. 

The EC have announced there date for the next election. But have the government actually dissolved parliament? If not, then they aren't in caretaker mode.

We might expect that to automatically happen/be presumed. But this being as it is, nothing is certain, obvious or logical.

11 hours ago, Eligius said:

But the numbers will likely not be massive or spectacular (nothing like the huge numbers of Red Shirts who descended on Bangkok in 2010). Things will get a bit hairy for the junta-backed leader(s) - but the Powers That Be will cope with it all right. Have no fear. The mass of the Thais will continue to get what they have allowed.

Have Gun - Will Travel

Wire Prawit

Bangkok, Thailand

"I don't get it???"
Yeah, you sort of need to have watched TV back when they were still black and white. :whistling:

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

And I've just had 4 days without town water. again !

town  water??? we  have a  local lake often its  mud  coloured, often contains shells is  unfiltered, pump breaks regularly............i do have two of my own deep wells  though

So they have moved the election to just about the last possible date allowed by the constitution. That will not allow them much wiggle room if something "unexpected" develops but leaves them maximum time to figure out how to avoid holding the election. Say civil unrest perhaps?

Archived