The disaster that is Chiang Mai traffic

boonrawdcnx

Driving into the city used to be pleasant.....Parking always seemed to work out.....

It's horrid now, we no longer bother unless it's a must do errand....

I'm sure we're missing out on some dining experiences, but it's just not worth the aggravation....

So why was the road closed? Maybe you have not been here to know much about how things are done in Thailand. Right now a certain princess is in town and it is usual for sections of road to be closed when a member of the royal family is here. The princess in question is a near neighbour and is known to create very little disruption when she is here. So just get used to things like this, like the rest of us and you will have much less stress.

It's much easier to get around Chiang Mai with a scooter than with a car. The ring roads are usually OK for cars.

I usually use my motorbike but today had to take my car.

I know about graduation around Niman and CMU and try to avoid it - But without a warning they closed off every road from the 118 intersection leaving the super highway towards Faham and every road to the left all the way to Chotana causing absolute chaos and mayhem during peak traffic hours! Directing all traffic towards Niman and Huai Khaeo Road which was already totally congested because of graduation - What a bunch of morons!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Waited 34 minutes at the light (traffic was backed up about 1km) at Canal Road/Suthep Road yesterday (construction had closed one U-turn and the CMU stuff was going on) from 3:45PM yesterday (and the line was twice as bad when I finally made it through).  It must have been insane at 5:30PM.

The horrific traffic situation in Chiang Mai is NOT unusual. It's the norm now., and has been for quite some time. If you insist on bringing your car into town, you know you're going to be sitting in traffic, getting no where fast, so why complain about it? Don't even bother with a car. It's no longer a viable option in Chiang Mai. Use a motor bike or bicycle. We gave up our cars 6 years ago, and don't regret a minute of it. For the 3-4 times a year when a car is the ONLY option, we rent one. The rest of the year we use motorbikes and bicycles. No stress, and a heck of a lot less headache and expense.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's much easier to get around Chiang Mai with a scooter than with a car. The ring roads are usually OK for cars.

Ya but how do you breathe?

I quit open-air transit in CM, it is so darn unhealthy to ride around choking on a cloud of road fumes.

For me it's now either Grab or the blue bus, and trying to avoid walking anywhere near the main roads at all, which is extremely limiting.

The air quality seems to get exponentially worse everyday in CM.

And has the burning even started yet? ????

12 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I was sitting in traffic yesterday......I got run over

don't quit your day job.

take my wife, please.

I have nothing but troubles with my car. Every Sunday I take my family out for a push.

A girl phoned me the other day and said, 'Come on over, there's nobody home.' I went over. Nobody was home.

9 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I usually use my motorbike but today had to take my car.

I know about graduation around Niman and CMU and try to avoid it - But without a warning they closed off every road from the 118 intersection leaving the super highway towards Faham and every road to the left all the way to Chotana causing absolute chaos and mayhem during peak traffic hours! Directing all traffic towards Niman and Huai Khaeo Road which was already totally congested because of graduation - What a bunch of morons!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is typical when the family is in town. Get used to it and plan in advance. Not such a big deal at all.

48 minutes ago, elephant45 said:

yah, when i came here so many years ago i don't even remember traffic. I wish Japan would stop selling and making cars for a  few years,,,,give us a break. Konichiwa

Used to be fun & easy....Now the roads are log jammed + available parking places have vanished.....

Regardless whether it's the King himself or one of the other Royals that are in town the traffic in Chiang Mai is getting out of control. That buy a car, get a tax rebate put at least 3 more million cars unto the roads throughout Thailand especially here in Chiang Mai. With this "Face" thing a Thai person feels the need to have a car even if it means not being able to afford one. We had better get used to the fact that traffic isn't going to to improve and if the plans for building a light rail system in Chiang Mai go ahead it will be a nightmare much worse than at the moment. Your options are??? Deal with it, get a scooter or get outta here.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

The horrific traffic situation in Chiang Mai is NOT unusual. It's the norm now., and has been for quite some time. If you insist on bringing your car into town, you know you're going to be sitting in traffic, getting no where fast, so why complain about it? Don't even bother with a car. It's no longer a viable option in Chiang Mai. Use a motor bike or bicycle. We gave up our cars 6 years ago, and don't regret a minute of it. For the 3-4 times a year when a car is the ONLY option, we rent one. The rest of the year we use motorbikes and bicycles. No stress, and a heck of a lot less headache and expense.

Thats fine if you are still at age when you feel comfortable, and safe, riding a motor bike but for some of us "oldies" its not an option. As for riding a bicycle we do around our tree lined village with virtually no traffic but when you are 10 kms out of town that's not an option to go to the city either.

Our visits to the city have declined,a few years back it wasn't too bad,now its only for essential vists to RAM,Worrawot Market or Bookshops.

There is no solution in sight or possible.Narrow sois and existing roads can't be widened and the proposal of a fly over onto Hang Dong Rd from the Airport is just that a proposal. That Airport Central intersection will only get worse with air traffic inceasing

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Thats fine if you are still at age when you feel comfortable, and safe, riding a motor bike but for some of us "oldies" its not an option

It is really not about age. There are 30 year olds that are scared sheetlets of riding a motorcycle in Thailand and 80 year olds zipping around on big bikes.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:28 PM, Dante99 said:

It is really not about age. There are 30 year olds that are scared sheetlets of riding a motorcycle in Thailand and 80 year olds zipping around on big bikes.

If you rode motor bikes in your earlier years true but dont know any that started riding in their 60's or older.

I'm, at 76, very happy to rent a bike at our favourite, quiet beach location down south but the behaviour, ineptitude and sheer numbers in CM I would never even contemplate it plus I would have to buy a bike.

Perhaps some of the 80 yr olds mentioned might come forward and share their experiences

I'm 71 - have had & ridden & owned everything from small bikes - up to Harleys, Ducati, Goldwings.....

After watching the riders & seeing the carnage, I won't ride here....

I don't bounce like I used to + roads where I would like to ride/challenge have too many hidden elements & critical emergency medical response times (and care) are poor....

I've considered getting another bike a few times....Every time I do within a day or 2 there's another fatal ghastly bike crash to caution me....

I'll keep my armor....I like breathing & walking without a gimp or aid.....

When I see guys my age carelessly tooling around with 20 something gals nervously clinging on the rear seat I feel bad for both of them.....Regardless of how many years riding experience....

I'm 72. I ride a motorbike every day. Sure, there are some close calls. Frankly, there are some when walking, too. I won't stress myself trying to drive a car here in town, not when a motorbike avoids all the problems. I do tend to laugh at those who drive big SUVs and Pick-up trucks, then complain that they can't move because of the traffic... Hell, they ARE the traffic!

Archived