BANGKOK
darren1971

British embassy - No affirmation appointments

I checked this morning, couldn't find anything on calendar so rang Embassy. Very helpful woman checked, taking about 5 minutes, and told me that this section was very busy at the moment and may not have many slots left. She suggested that I try again and look at April 12 but if I still had problems to call her back. Checked, and there were 3 slots available all before 09:00. As this was a Friday and coming from Khon Kaen I decided that i would try again next week as I don't want to have to spend a whole weekend in Bangkok getting paperwork sorted.

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Looks like they may be releasing dates 60 days in advance on a daily basis so will check tomorrow to see if they release April 15!

Looks like they may be releasing dates 60 days in advance on a daily basis so will check tomorrow to see if they release April 15!

Glad I didn't book 12th April as Thai Government have just announced it as yet another public holiday! Also, 15th & 16th are out as Songkran holiday! Looks like my plans are scuppered for now :-(

Posted (edited)

I have been looking for the last couple of weeks and there are zero dates available for affirmations of residence for 2019. Since the embassy make about B2000 for each affirmation this should be a profit making opportunity for them. Why would they ration time slots like this? I wonder if they really are so incompetent, or don't care about British citizens in Thailand or are reacting against the increase in bureaucracy and surveillance of foreigners by the Thai authorities by forcing Thai government to do more work themselves. Whatever the reason, it's a pain in the butt. Could be time to try to get a yellow house book.

Edited by Ketyo

Posted (edited)
On 1/23/2019 at 8:50 PM, darren1971 said:

Tried to book an affirmation at the British embassy in Bangkok,

Tell her, sorry your and my government are making it too difficult to marry you.

Marry a Viet, 5 year VISA for $40 or marry a Filipino free VISA for a year.

Plenty of women to choose from, marry a Thai and get nothing but trouble from Immigration.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look on it as a heaven sent opportunity not to do something one will later regret.

I wish I'd had such an opportunity when I got married.