Brit who dealt drugs in Thailand complains about ‘torture’ of prison sentence

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Drug crimes are victimless crimes

Huh? What a load of bulls hit! Too many crimes are committed so that "they" can access drugs! People get robbed, mugged, shot etc in order for someone to be able to finance themselves to buy or sell drugs!

"VICTIMLESS CRIMES" What planet are you from? ????

Alcohol is 'legal' and look at the troubles that alcohol causes. Get real!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Alcohol is 'legal' and look at the troubles that alcohol causes. Get real!

That was part of my point, which you didn't notice.

Glad you're going to militate to have alcohol banned in Thailand though. It shows you are consistent and have your heart in the right place.

55 minutes ago, JackGats said:

That was part of my point, which you didn't notice.

Glad you're going to militate to have alcohol banned in Thailand though. It shows you are consistent and have your heart in the right place.

Are you one of those progressive thinkers, that believe Marijuana should be legal because it's 'only a plant'?

:crazy:

50 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Watch the movie "Bangkok Hilton" starring Nicole Kidman.

Pretty realistic!

Ridiculous crap 100000 miles from reality. Only people who know nothing believe that it can be true.

1 minute ago, NaDu said:

Ridiculous crap 100000 miles from reality. Only people who know nothing believe that it can be true.

but would have been gratifying to find out if he experienced a 'Midnight Express' moment

Sympathy located in dictionary between <deleted> and SILLYFUSS. Should still be in Thai prison. Had a bar on Pat Pong eons ago. Nice ladies, good booze, fair prices, no stuffed cups, definitely no drugs. Clientele mostly Oil Field hands, American GI retirees, American & British Saudi workers, DEA, CIA good gang all. Lost my lease to greedy Thai lease holders plus I needed to get out of the booze business to save my liver.

21 minutes ago, faraday said:

Are you one of those progressive thinkers, that believe Marijuana should be legal because it's 'only a plant'?

Strangely i do, Deadly Night Shades a Poison, nature put it there, take that if your daft enough. Up to You,  You not your Brothers Keeper.

3 hours ago, somtumwrong said:

Thai prisons are horrible. I feel happy for the drug dealers sent to prison for ruining lives of other people by distributing the disease. Prisons deter little but keep the trash off the street. Drug use does not punish the dealer but his clients. Decriminalization should be tried in an isolated zone before making uneducated decisions.

Nobody ruins the life of the drug addicts, they just are idiots who would toilet duck cleaner if it was making them high. THEY ruin THEIR life THEMSELVES, nobody force them.

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

Drug crimes are victimless crimes. No one is forced to takes drugs. Anything people decide to do to themselves should never be a crime.

The cowards and hypocrites who applaud the death penalty here are easily pictured: ruddy-faced, orange peel skin, ethanol-pickled.

The guy was a dealer not a user. Yaba (‘ba’ is thai for ‘mad’ which should give you a clue) is bad news. I don’t have much sympathy, although I’m not a member of the “hang ‘em and flog ‘em” brigade.

Anyway, he got lucky. I hope he’s genuinely grateful and gets the chance to pay his brother back the life savings of £80,000 (2 million baht) that were used to get him home.

This is how the Daily Mail reports the story:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6616949/Banged-Abroad-Former-postman-Jimmy-Kelly-jailed-selling-crystal-meth-Thailand.html

Although it prides itself on being a ‘family newspaper’ it doesn’t pull any punches. He was renting out girls from his ‘lady bar’ on Koh Samui and then started selling a large amount of yaba which naturally didn’t please the local Thai owned bars. He was living on borrowed time from that point on; he was never going to have a happy ending.

Here’s a link to an article about Professor David Nutt of Imperial College London. He was educated at Cambridge and was once the chairman of a government drugs advisory panel. He got into trouble for saying that horse riding (‘equasy’ as he called it), and which caused 300 deaths a year, was more dangerous than ecstacy, which caused 100.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/av48qa/drug-by-drug-guide-rational-drug-policy-david-nutt-522

His view on crystal meths: 

“Crystal meth would be banned completely. ‘Smoked methamphetamine is like crack, and  smoking stimulants makes you very addicted, very fast.,’ says Nutt. ‘Methamphetamine is longer lasting than amphetamine, and certainly longer lasting than cocaine. Certainly injecting or smoking methamphetamine is a bad thing.’”

49 minutes ago, faraday said:

Are you one of those regressive thinkers that believes that it's okay to sell and use tobacco and alcohol, both plant (based) products?

He bought 200 grams – a ‘ridiculous amount’ and sold it for £26,000 which was enough to buy the bar.

I might be a little bit out of touch and by no means any experience of this but is 1g of meth really over 5000 baht? That surprises me that anyone can really afford to do that might be wrong 

16 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Thai prisons are horrible. This is not news to anyone who pays attention, I feel for anyone banged up in these places. There are much worse things than drugs done here and most go unpunished. Thailand and most other countries have followed America's drug hysteria into a morass of cruelty to their own people. Prisons deter nothing and solve nothing. Drug use is usually its own punishment. Decriminalization is the only sane solution.

I'f you can't do the time .....................

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am in two minds here. I visit lots of people stupid enough to get involved with drugs here and try to help their life be a little easier, but Thai jails are seriously nasty. His brother obviously paid his fine so he could be sent home under the prisoner transfer treaty, a thing I personally hate because I know a few lads serving stupid sentences who cant do the same, as their families don't have the money. If you don't pay the fine, sometimes millions of baht, you are effectively held to ransom without transfer to serve it all.

He knew the consequences and still did it, so he has very little sympathy from me.

I have a lot for some of the lads I visit, who were not doing anything wrong, simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. One doing 39 years for something another person openly admits was his, not the guy I visit. His family don't have 1,300,000 baht, so he is screwed.

Murderers and rapists serve far less time than people caught with small amounts of drugs. The Supreme Court has admitted the war on drugs has failed and a new approach is needed, but still every day people get 30, 40, 50 years. It is crazy, especially since the jails are overflowing already and most are not getting out for half a lifetime or more.

It it torture? Yes it is. Is that right? No it isn't. Welcome to Thailand.

"It it torture? Yes it is. Is that right? No it isn't. Welcome to Thailand".

It may be 'torture', figuratively, but prison in Thailand certainly is not torture any more than it is in many other countries.  Nothing to do with "welcome to Thailand", DSG.  Ask me how I know.

"He knew the consequences and still did it, so he has very little sympathy from me".

I agree, this convict not only knew the consequences but he actively went out of his way to procure drugs and re-sell the drugs purely to finance the purchase of an additional bar.

38 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Are you one of those regressive thinkers that believes that it's okay to sell and use tobacco and alcohol, both plant (based) products?

I posted that in attempt to elicit another ill thought out comment from him. ????

He didn't take the 'bait' sadly. ????

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

crystal meth is poison. should have been executed.

but he was worth £80,000.

‘Now, I’d taken a bar over and I’d become a pimp. I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into.’

you rarely hear bar owners admit to this.

"you rarely hear bar owners admit to this".

Could be because drug-addicted, drug-dealing, pimp bar owners rarely get paid for their embellished, dramatised "stories" by National Geographic.

I think most, if not everybody, know that one you stay away from drugs in Southeast Asia; the risk of being a prisoner out there, is not worth any benefits from drugs, being a dealer or a user, or both. If one still get into to drug business, one chose one's own fate. A story like this should be a warning to anyone that falls for drug temptations.

Archived