Fabricated steel staircase

taninthai

40 minutes ago, tifino said:

this example, splits'n'all might not go so well, outside!

Exactly ,wood is a night mare termites termites termites,have actually been given a price of 35,000 ,not sure of what design the guy has for that price ,just sent him the same two pictures that I have posted here and that’s the price he came back with.

3 hours ago, tifino said:

this example, splits'n'all might not go so well, outside!

OK but that is not the case.

Funny have a wooded farmhouse with some split here and there that's been outside for over a 100 years.

A lot of wood has been refixed over time because the steel nails rusted away.

If OP wants to spend 35,000 fine up to him. 

3 hours ago, taninthai said:

Exactly ,wood is a night mare termites termites termites,have actually been given a price of 35,000 ,not sure of what design the guy has for that price ,just sent him the same two pictures that I have posted here and that’s the price he came back with.

My henshed roof rafters are wood, use hardwood, termites don't eat it, can't even get nails or screws in without a pilot hole. Stairs made of the same stuff will last as long as steel.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

OK but that is not the case.

Funny have a wooded farmhouse with some split here and there that's been outside for over a 100 years.

A lot of wood has been refixed over time because the steel nails rusted away.

If OP wants to spend 35,000 fine up to him. 

Totally agree, you mention wood here and most folk go into termite panic mode.

Use the right wood and it lasts a century, use the wrong wood and.....well it will still last 5yrs 

However, did you ever walk up a staircase like that with the single central fir carriage?...

I did and almose shit myself, no handrails or safety net it really doesnt look very robust floating like that.

I wouldnt try if i was 100kg up one side

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

Totally agree, you mention wood here and most folk go into termite panic mode.

Use the right wood and it lasts a century, use the wrong wood and.....well it will still last 5yrs 

However, did you ever walk up a staircase like that with the single central fir carriage?...

I did and almose shit myself, no handrails or safety net it really doesnt look very robust floating like that.

I wouldnt try if i was 100kg up one side

It was just one of many wood staircase designs suitable for inside or outside but as usual taken in the wrong way.

A wood staircase is cheaper than a steel one at least where I live and something that would be my choice for a home IMO.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

You don't indicate your location.  

This company is in Phuket.

http://www.phuket-stainless-service.com/steel-work.php

Thanks yes I come across that company on the internet last night ,I’m about 200km from phuket,they have a made to order spiral staircase 3 meter max height advertised at 39,000.

might drop them email.

Build like this but in steel.

048dd4928ceeb531fe7b73223517fa07.jpg.8a4

Two 4 " channel sections welded back to back for the centre beam. Treads made from a rectangle of 1" angle with some box section bits for the actual step. The one I say in a hotel on the weekend had treadplate for the steps but that will be hard to get squre for somchai the welder so hence the box section for the treads.

d4ea33c5_z.jpg

Treads are supported by a simple piece of 1" flatbar at the front centre of the tread.

Any local welding guy can do this stood on his head if you buy the material.

Then use handrail of your choice.

If you want to be slick you can add some triangulation to the edges of the tread.

steel-stairs-design.jpg

• 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:33 PM, QCE14 said:

Is there anyone or place in Bangkok that can make a very small/minor repair on steel by welding? Should not take more than 5-10 minutes

Go for a walk...you will find someone. What exactly is the job? 5 or 10 minutes to you might be a much bigger job in practice. Can you take the job to the welder? Or does the welder come to you? all cost factors.

^

i would think it’s sorted now that was 6 months ago..????

since I started this thread and you have dug it out I will update it.

got my stairs done now went with original quote ,a good guy ,local and good standard off work can call him back any time needed,decided not worth looking around for cheap cheap price and then just be complaining about standard off job or not even being able to get in contact with the guy again.

8FD30E4E-C298-4285-BE37-86494AEABA2D.jpeg

Archived