BANGKOK
TyGrr

How important is the O net test?

How important is the O net test and why does it matter?

Grandparents are visiting and we have a long planned trip to Singapore however the school just told us yesterday we have to cancel the trip because he needs to take the O net test. They gave us about a weeks notice and we gave them 3 for the trip. They are saying they can't change the date and we must take the child to a different school for the test.

What happens to my child if they miss the test?

What happens to the school if they miss the test?

They are in international school and have been accepted to a different school for next year.

Is this really a big deal for my child or is it just a big deal for the school?

Thanks.

TyGrr, surely the most important thing is your childs education.

So in your book a trip with granny is more important, good lord, i think you got your priorities mixed up.

• Confused 2

How is missing a government test going to hurt my childs education when he is not in government school? The test is in Thai and he cant read Thai.

I'm not even sure why he is taking this test and I'm not sure if I will get the results. I am just asking question so I know what is going on.

So yeah, Im trying to sort out what is going on before we take the holiday.

Edited by TyGrr

It won't hurt the school but it can hurt your kid:

The Ordinary National Educational Test (O-NET) is administered annually by the National Institute of Educational Testing Service to grade 6 (P6), grade 9 (M3) and grade 12 (M6) students in public and private schools. The O-NET is a high-stake and mandatory examination.

https://sites.google.com/site/pcthailandwiki2/teaching-english/test-prep

• Like 2

I'm told the O Net is a big deal, but I dont understand how or why. Does anyone know if missing the test will hurt them later?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, TyGrr said:

I'm told the O Net is a big deal, but I dont understand how or why. Does anyone know if missing the test will hurt them later?

Thanks

You want to know the answer? Go ask the school director, now he easy is that?

4 minutes ago, TyGrr said:

Thanks

Read the link:

The final score which determines promotion to the next grade is based on the O-NET score and the score obtained on school-based assessments held during the academic year; the O-NET contributes 20% and school-based assessments contribute 80% of the final score. In the near future, the O-NET will contribute 50% of the final score.

He could have to double a year in school.

36 minutes ago, TyGrr said:

The test is in Thai and he cant read Thai.

This is a great opportunity to travel to Singapore ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

O-Net is a big deal if your kids ever intend to work in Thailand.

Foreign educational qualifications below a degree from an accredited foreign university are not recognized by the Thai Ministry of education.

My daughter missed the normally scheduled O-Net exams last year. Thank fully, for those who could not attend for 'Force-Majeure' medical reasons (and who had a doctor’s certificate) an alternative destination in the middle of the Changwat and hours’ drive away was found for her to do them. It was quite a palaver arranging it all.

To summarize, one's child does not simply miss the O-Net exams in Thailand.

There is no acceptable reason for your child to not attend the exams.

Edited by SteveB2
Spelling(again)

I wonder what would be better, a missed test or a score that is so low because the person taking the test can't read Thai.

"Foreign educational qualifications below a degree from an accredited foreign university are not recognized by the Thai Ministry of education."

I'm not really sure how this is an issue for us. He will be going to a school in Thailand, a school that does not recognize the O net test.

I'm also not sure how missing this test will mean he can never work in Thailand. He will odds are be going to Standford in the USA where I went to school.

His university degree is not going to be valid when he has a missing O net test for work in Thailand despite him being Thai?

I doubt he will want to work in Thailand but I don't really see why this is so important, I must be missing something. Google searching is not helping and the international school also seems to think it is meaningless so Im really at a loss here. Can you give me a bit more information or some sources?

Thanks

Edited by TyGrr

I have had many, many, teachers tell me, don't let school stand in the way of your child's education. Not sure where the test falls in relation to educating your child but more like government hoops to jump through. 

The M3 exam is important although if attempting to upgrade schools each school will have it's own additional entrance exam. I believe that the M3 onet is factored in 10% to this grade, but not certain.

The m6 onet is only important for two reasons:

Passing grade graduates the student

The student lives with the grade their entire life. Some employers may have interest but it's more a student from mediocre university or faculty. Maybe super competitive job.

Other than that it's a stupid exam riddled with errors and the only people interested in it are the school's administrators.

Kids study GAT, PAT, 9 subjects, exams particular to the university eg CUTEP. Given how quickly all the exams occur together, students don't even study for the onet. They study for the others and just wing it.

Of course all the above stupidity is in addition to better part of a dozen course final exams.

If that's still not enough, students international bound or local international programs need IELTS and SAT.

The only students that put any real effort into onet are excellent students already admitted internationally and do not have to study all the university exams.

I don't know how international schools handle this. It's possible that ALL Thai must take the onet. Also possible that international schools exempt. Ask the school. The only thing I'd be worried about is for some bureaucratic reason his diploma can't be issued because of no onet.

He can work in Thailand without an onet lol.

Normally, 8d scoff at the Stanford crack, but he's legacy so with a 1500 SAT yes, perhaps he's in.

He'll never work in Thailand, country could never pay grads enough.

TLDR yes, M3. M6 not so much

Edited by Number 6

The O net test is important for the sheepy Thai crowds, products of Thai education. Would certainly not worry about missing it given the international education your kid is in.   In this case its even an advantage to not take the test since he can't read Thai well. Not taking it certainly beats failing the test!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1