Important News from Vientiane Royal Thai Embassy.

6 hours ago, fforest1 said:

A appointment system could be fine IF it was run honestly with no hanky-panky......But Hardly a week or two goes by now with-out some tightening going on some were in the visa classes......Its getting ridicules.....Never loosing....Always tightening......Unless your Chinese then you get your own line at the airport.    .....2-3-4 more years of tightening and I think you will need to be rich or have a Chinese passport...

You’re aware of this, good. Now you choose, you’re either going to continue to deal with it until they finally pull the rug out from under you, or you will start looking for a new place to relocate to and make it happen.

It will end one way or the other. You don’t have to be a smart person to see the writing on the wall.

7 hours ago, Denim said:

Probably the best way forward is to man up , get on with your packing and start searching for flights

That’s exactly what anyone with even a little bit of intelligence will do. 

Unless they are stuck (families / broke), working, or feeding an addiction. It doesn’t make sense otherwise.

17 minutes ago, dcnx said:

That’s exactly what anyone with even a little bit of intelligence will do. 

Unless they are stuck (families / broke), working, or feeding an addiction. It doesn’t make sense otherwise.

Where do I go then? My friends and whole life is here. I never did anything wrong. And no, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Philippines are NOT options. I have nowhere to go.

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Why not make an appt at Vientiane? 

Is there any indication - at all - that this is anything but an appointment-system?

All foreigners w/o PR here have an "admitted until" date - so not hard to plan for it.

It is nothing more than an appointment system at the moment. But I wouldn't be surprised if the system is linked and a visa history built up. It's the first step towards online applications.

Although I think an appointment system is a positive thing - if they do away with the queue system - it doesn't bode well for long term tourists. Especially those still in denial about Thailands tourism policy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Perhaps the last visa from Penang had a little remark-stamp on it, "This person travels to Thailand frequently..." 

That happened to me once at Vientiane about that time-period - an old TR-Visa from Phnom Penh had that remark on it.  The consulate staff told me to go get a new passport, and I had to come back Visa-Exempt.  Staff at the bridge were friendly about it though - warned me about the new 2x/yr rule and gave me a little paper explaining it, etc.

I wonder how you square your acceptance that consulates can lawfully stamp passports with this remark, with your claims that IO's that stop 'tourists' that have spent too long in the country are lawbreaking anti-foreigners.

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The MFA seems less inclined to wreck everything, generally - though it varies by consulate.  I'm not saying this won't be used badly - certainly it could - but no indication of this so far.

What do the MFA have to do with decisions about restricting visa issuance? If you're going to constantly criticise a system you really should know/learn how it works.

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

Where do I go then? My friends and whole life is here. I never did anything wrong. And no, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Philippines are NOT options. I have nowhere to go.

Then stop whinging and work around the system in the way we all have for the last 20/30 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Then stop whinging and work around the system in the way we all have for the last 20/30 years.

Yeah? Work the system how? I am not over 50. So what visa do I get? And if it's true I cant have more visas, can I please have my money back for a wasted decade? Where am I supposed to go? I have nowhere to go in my country. I will be sleeping at the airport or on the street. Thanks Thailand. Renting an apartment in the states is near impossible if u been away ten years. Not the same as just showing up and paying like it is here. Nevermind not seeing any of my friends again. Just living alone in a room if over there.

Edited by Essecola
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Essecola said:

if your whole life is here get an elite visa. you must have the money if your whole life is here, if not you should not have been here in the first place. sorry.

Edited by catman20
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, catman20 said:

if your whole life is here get an elite visa. you must have the money if your whole life is here, if not you should not have been here in the first place. sorry

I am not handing over 500k for an elite visa. No. I have spent enough.. 100,000b per year for a visa would be fine if year by year. But five years in advance, NO. Too much space for something unforseen and money wasted again. If I shouldn't have been here in the first place, why did they give me visas for almost a decade? And happily sold them to me.

And where am I supposed to go now? Somebody please tell me. 

Edited by Essecola

42 minutes ago, Essecola said:

I am not handing over 500k for an elite visa. No. I have spent enough.. 100,000b per year for a visa would be fine if year by year. But five years in advance, NO. Too much space for something unforseen and money wasted again. If I shouldn't have been here in the first place, why did they give me visas for almost a decade? And happily sold them to me.

And where am I supposed to go now? Somebody please tell me. 

if you just never want to worry about visas you got to cambodia. 

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Surely this a benefit for those applying in Vientiane? Book online rather than wait in line. Most visa issuing is moving towards using the internet, Vientiane is just progressing. Why the outrage?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

but we dont know what information you have to provide to book appointment ? 

Edited by at15

12 hours ago, ginjag said:

To be honest, there will be thousands same you, BUT all those 800k   65k a month types, will just sneer and say something like if you not have 65k  a month you should not be here skimping

They can be married and reduce the amount! Then the option of paying an agent. 

To be able to live in another country is not a right but a luxury. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, at15 said:

if you are a serial visa user , its easy to just deny the appointment. databases connected now ??

It's simply part of the changeover to full online application that go's live worldwide at all Thai Embassy's in April. KL go's partway over on 6th February with an online booking system.  They too will then switch over to full online application at a later date.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It's simply part of the changeover to full online application that go's live worldwide at all Thai Embassy's in April. KL go's partway over on 6th February with an online booking system.  They too will then switch over to full online application at a later date.

so it will be like vietnam where everything is by email then your visa is attached to passport once you arrive ? 

Edited by at15

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

i dont think so but they want our money.

I think we are heading towards the virtual visa.

You fill in an application form, deposit a large fixed sum with the Thai Embassy and they send you your virtual Thai experience by registered mail.

It will come in a big box and contain mangoes, durian ,vacuum packed som dtam, a Thai girlie magazine, a bottle of Bangkok's smog, another bottle of sand from the beach of your choice, a pack of Krong Thip,

a bottle of Recency brandy and Lhao Khao ( miniatures ) and a lot of amazing Thailand CDs etc etc.

You won't have to come here at all or buy an expensive airline ticket. All for your convenience. Enjoy the best of Thailand without the hassle.

27 minutes ago, at15 said:

so it will be like vietnam where everything is by email then your visa is attached to passport once you arrive ? 

No. The new full online application system is this one which London switches too in April. The booking system being implemented in Vientiane and KL is part of the lead up too this.

https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4

Edited by Lovethailandelite

31 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

No. The new full online application system is this one which London switches too in April. The booking system being implemented in Vientiane and KL is part of the lead up too this.

https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4

what a nightmare.

on the required docs im seeing Confirmation of legal residence and financial evidence.

1 hour ago, at15 said:

if you just never want to worry about visas you got to cambodia. 

Hey that is a bright idea. Cambodia is a hole. What happens when I need medical attention there? Just go to one of their world class hospitals? Cambodia and Bangkok, DO NOT compare. At all. Tuk tuk sir?

21 hours ago, losername said:

Agents out of the picture.  That will cause problems for many.

I wasn't sure if you were being serious or sarcastic. If you are being serious then may I ask the many people that this will cause problems, are they the Visa applicants or the agents? I see those agents as an unnecessary piece of the equation designed only to get some money out of unaware tourists who had been dropped off down the road from the embassy in front of an agent's desk.

16 hours ago, high plane drifter said:

Ask yourself a question,,,Do they want us here???

Of course they want us here. With all the people complaining here, might I remind that Thailand Visa is absolutely the easiest in the world of all countries to get. So as they advance in their technology and processes there may be a few hiccups but they're catching up with the rest of the world. For all of those that just do nothing but complain let me ask you if you are the director of Thai immigration how would you ensure a smooth process while also maintaining Safety and Security of the Border? Would you just slam open the gates and allow everyone to just rush in?

22 hours ago, losername said:

Agents out of the picture.  That will cause problems for many.

Cant see that  happening mate, just a phase their going thru.

There is too much big money involved, for the immi boys n girls.

Time will  tell .

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only get a single entry non-o visa. Vientiane requires 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the two, a police clearance certificate and a medical certificate.

UbonJoe is this new rules for single non - o also for  a non-o child visa?

6 hours ago, dcnx said:

You’re aware of this, good. Now you choose, you’re either going to continue to deal with it until they finally pull the rug out from under you, or you will start looking for a new place to relocate to and make it happen.

It will end one way or the other. You don’t have to be a smart person to see the writing on the wall.

Everyone here who is not a citizen or PR should have a backup-plan in mind.  That doesn't mean stress and panic at every news-flash and screaming "The End Is Nigh!" - but simply recognize we are kept here on a very limited basis, and change in policy - and/or general attitudes towards us which can be easily shifted by media-propaganda - could be for better or worse, depending on factors beyond our control.

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

Especially those still in denial about Thailands tourism policy.

I am not sure that policy is "Thailand's" - or just what a faction within the power-structure want.  There are still many entry-points and immigration-offices operated honestly and within the law.  But, as per what I wrote above, people should be prepared, in case the bad-guys win and "Farangs Out" becomes across-the-board policy, everywhere.

That warning should include Thai people, who should re-double their efforts towards self-sustainability in rural areas, in case the bad-guys are able to consolidate power and further wreck Thai's economic opportunities.  I am working with my wife on this now, in case I get the boot at some point, to ensure she and her family will be OK. 

This clique have destroyed so many Thai lives already vis-a-vis the "anti long-term tourist" efforts, that this negative-trend should not be ignored.  It could be reversed - and we can hope - but it could also get even worse, throwing even more Thais under the bus. 

Given the heartlessness of this policy with respect to the Thais affected, I would not be surprised if the next step(s) is (are) even more punitive - well beyond "tourist" policy.  We are witnessing a complete reversal of the wise unifying efforts in the past - dual-track self-sustainability + boostrapping economic development to lift all boats - a continuation of the hearts and minds victory that once saved Thailand from communism under an amazing leader.  Sad to see all that effort and success lost to what is, essentially, a Chinese takeover.  I'm not giving up hope, but trying to keep my eyes open, at the same time.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1