Phuket villagers fight forced evictions

webfact

Phuket villagers fight forced evictions

By The Phuket News

1548305480_1-org.jpg

Pracha Samakkee Community in Koh Kaew representative Weerayut Jaesoh (right) explains the villagers’ plight of forced evictions to the DSI yesterday (Jan 23). Photo: DSI

PHUKET: Residents from the Pracha Samakkee Community in Koh Kaew, north of Phuket Town, have petitioned the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to help them win a bitter land dispute.

The residents filed their request in Bangkok yesterday (Jan 23) for the agency to produce maps of their community dating back to 1951 so the residents can to use them in a legal battle against a man who claims to already own more than 300 rai of land they live on, the Bangkok Post reports today. 

Three hundred and twenty-six residents of the Pracha Samakkee community are facing legal suits filed against them by the man – 26 of them had never made use of the land before, said community representative Weerayut Jaesoh.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-villagers-fight-forced-evictions-70138.php#2Q98eyvLi72lLzak.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-01-24

When I first glance at the headline, my thinking was it was another David and Goliath battle. Perhaps it is, but there is a twist. The article goes on to read...

The villagers formed the community about a decade ago, assuming the land was vacant after a tin mine concession expired, he said. Ever since, the land has been being used for farming and keeping livestock, he added.

Personally, I've learned to never assume anything in Thailand...

Archived