Monk arrested for alleged drunk driving, hit-and-run on foreigner in Nan

webfact

Nan monk arrested for alleged drunk driving, hit-and-run

By The Nation

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFiY4ol4InDEKAafcCGHCZyFRttbK.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A monk was arrested for alleged drunk driving and leaving the scene of an accident in Nan's Muang district on Wednesday night.

Muang Nan Pol Lt Col Phattarawut Chaeng-amphan, said they are waiting for the results of laboratory tests to confirm the blood alcohol level of Phra Chamroen Jittasawaro, 50. If the results are positive, police will seek his defrocking and officially charge him.

Chamroen was allegedly driving a brand new car that hit a car driven by Sean Peter Kenny, 54, on a road in Tambon Chaiyasathan in Muang district at 10.20pm.

The foreigner was driving with his Thai wife, Kamolrot Pichaiwong, and their son. He called the 191 emergency police line and told them that his Toyota car had been hit by a Honda car with red licence plates.

Police checked footage from security cameras in the area and traced the Honda car to a temple in Ban Thung Kham village in Tambon Chaiysathan where Phra Chamroen was arrested.

The temple was about 7 kilometers away from the accident site.

Police said that the monk admitted that he drove the car and his car lost control and hit the other car.

Police detected alcohol on the monk's breathe so his blood sample was taken for testing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362858

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-24

Is this is a weekly headline now?

(drunk driving, caught in the act etc.)

In ancient times I learned that a monk neither handles money nor is allowed to drive a vehicle.

No alcohol, no sex of course.

All ridiculed.

This "monkhood" has come down steeply and I lost all respect.

90% is just a bunch of lazybones living on alms/donations.

Strolling the shopping centers, studying the latest iPhones.

I wonder what all the anti Thai posters will make of this, action is being taken against a Thai after he has hit a foreigner. They even send his blood to check for alcohol not giving him opportunity to wiggle out.

Seems to me the foreigner receives fair treatment, im sure a few foreigners will drop from their bar-stool when reading this as it conflicts with their world view. 

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Allegedly drunk and driving a new car....

It would have only gotten better if had turned out he was on his way back home after a rendezvous with his GF/wife/gik etc...

Who knows, maybe his gambling mates were involved as well ????

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

I wonder what all the anti Thai posters will make of this, action is being taken against a Thai after he has hit a foreigner. They even send his blood to check for alcohol not giving him opportunity to wiggle out.

Seems to me the foreigner receives fair treatment, im sure a few foreigners will drop from their bar-stool when reading this as it conflicts with their world view. 

Nothing to do with being "Anti-Thai", it's to do with a Monk being "Anti-Monk".  This Monk just happens to be a Thai, living in Thailand.  Unusual, I know.

But, Thailand does seem to have more than its fair share of con-artists in frocks.

3 hours ago, digitalnobhead said:

Why has a monk got a new car? No doubt the local templer goers will go into high defense mode if ever challenged about this whilst donating their last 20 baht to the cause. 

Monks aren't even allowed to drive so he need not be drunk to be defrocked.

One of the expats here in our rural village in Buriram was t-boned by a monk that briefly stopped and then left the scene. The expat almost lost his toe, but luckily remembered the license plate number and the police were eventually able to track him down. Nothing done to him for fleeing the scene of an accident.  

8 hours ago, robblok said:

And what sentence do you think he gets????? 

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is this is a weekly headline now?

(drunk driving, caught in the act etc.)

In ancient times I learned that a monk neither handles money nor is allowed to drive a vehicle.

No alcohol, no sex of course.

All ridiculed.

This "monkhood" has come down steeply and I lost all respect.

90% is just a bunch of lazybones living on alms/donations.

You hit the nail right on the head my friend That is what I have seen also. Bunch of lazybones just living off the Thai People who prob paid for that car and have not got a car for themselves

When I first came to Thailand over 20 years ago I was careful to be very respectful regarding any Thai temple.

In the early years I soon learnt that there was good and bad in all things that went on within the hallowed walls.

In the last 10 years I'd say it has fallen from grace, now you just don't know who is who within the organisation.

Wearing the robe now means nothing, it could be the most faithful follower or just another criminal in doing some thinking!

Many now are freeloaders, easier life than working for a living, bed, board & lodging with food thrown in.

I see so many walking around with phones, tablets & all other manner of technology, not even in the privacy of their private rooms but in full display of the public.

Monks having affairs, property, cars, jet setting lives some of them and all under the protection of their guardians.

I stopped donating to the temples long ago... 
My personal opinion & meaning no offence to the good minority.

3 hours ago, ubon farang said:

Quite possibly studying more than just their "Iphones". Shopping centers are notorious for being amateur fashion shows.

Archived