Second visa for Thai gf to the uk

Hi all I am just about to apply for a second tourist visa for my Thai girlfriend her first one was granted over a year ago my question is do I have to submit tons of pictures of us together for the second visa like I did for the first one. if any one has done this recently can you tell me what docs I need to send for both of us would like to keep it as minimal as possible 

The first thing I should say is that it's your girlfriend that applies not you, it's her that needs to satisfy the decision maker that her application is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, she will return home at the conclusion.

Each application is treated on its indiviual merits, so she should bear in mind that just because her first application was successful that any subsequent application would automatically be approved, though the fact she's already complied with her previous visa will go in her favour.

She still need to supply details of her proposed trip, evidence of affordability and her ties to her home country. If you are sponsoring her then you need to say why and provide evidence.

The UKVI specifically advise that photographs shouldn't be sent in support of visa applications.

Apart from the letter of invitation I've never got involved with the Visa applications for my Wife back when she was my GF (and now that she is my Wife)... 

But, I remember her preparing all the photos etc even for the second visa... (contrary to 'theoldgits' comment, photo's were requested at the time - 10 years ago or so... I'm not sure about now)... 

..... Thus, as I understand it... get 'everything' you did the first time... 

i've helped many thai friends in their tourist visa applications, granted they are all educated people with good jobs and clear reasons to return home, but to me the application process is pretty clear and straight forward, just follow the steps and provide evidence as requested. a previous visit and return will be beneficial. never heard anything about photos apart from a passport style photo.

21 minutes ago, SERGERAMOS said:

Thanks for the info guys she has all the documents that is required its just that she wants to send pics of her in the uk and at work in Thailand to support her visa so the advice would be not to send any then 

A previous poster has said that he sent photos with applications, but that was ten years ago, as I've advised and 7by7 has kindly quoted the current policy from the UKVI guidlines, photos should not be sent, unless specifically requested.

Why does your girlfriend want to try and submit photos that are irrevelant to the application and, even if they made it to India, they probably wouldn't be looked at. As you're aware all supporting documents are scanned in Bangkok and sent to Delhi, not sure that they would scan photos that applicants are advised not to send, but if they did I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be looked at.    

My girlfriend who I live with here in Thailand has just submitted her application and we submitted about 70 photos printed on about 30 standard A4 sheets of paper.

When the person at Trendy who assisted her sorting the documents into the right catergories helped her he made no mention of the photos not being needed.

They are essential in proving a legit relationship and they were all scanned as part of her application.

Cut and paste advice from unknown/unofficial source removed.

I'll say again the current advice from the UKVI is that photos should not be provided unless specifically requested, that doesn't mean that "the Embassy official likes to see between 30-40 photographs altogether", keep in mind that the UK Embassy plays no part in the visa decision making process.

Also keep in mind that the ECO only has a short time to consider the application and make a decision, if you overwhelm by using the "too much is never enough" approach by submitting a wedge of unnecessary documentation, they could be forgiven for missing evidence that might be pertinent to the application.

'Visitor supporting documents said:

Section 4: documents you should not send unless specifically requested

This page provides guidance on the types of documents that are not required to consider your application, if you are applying as a family/group you do not need to provide multiple copies of the same documents

 bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application

 driving licence

 photographs (other than passport photographs required in section 1)

 notarial certificates

 business cards

 hotel bookings

 flight bookings

 photocopies of bank cards

 credit card statements

 certificates relating to leisure activities

 evidence of car ownership

 travel insurance

 sponsor’s utility bills

 sponsor’s council tax bills

 educational certificates (unless specifically listed in section 3)

Visitor Supporting Documents Guide

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Apart from the letter of invitation I've never got involved with the Visa applications for my Wife back when she was my GF (and now that she is my Wife)... 

But, I remember her preparing all the photos etc even for the second visa... (contrary to 'theoldgits' comment, photo's were requested at the time - 10 years ago or so... I'm not sure about now)... 

..... Thus, as I understand it... get 'everything' you did the first time... 

I am replying to say that your GF/Wife must have a very good grasp of English, as even I had problems understanding some of the questions asked on the UK Visa Application form when I did it on behalf of my GF. However, we must have done it correct as we have been 4 times, plus a Schengen. Well done.

Thanks all for your help got an appointment for the 31st of Jan She won't be sending any pics other than passport photo of herself or any correspondence off messenger when you put all the stuff together it looks like a copy of war and peace now it looks like it will take about 15 mins to scan everything 

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

My girlfriend who I live with here in Thailand has just submitted her application and we submitted about 70 photos printed on about 30 standard A4 sheets of paper.

When the person at Trendy who assisted her sorting the documents into the right catergories helped her he made no mention of the photos not being needed.

They are essential in proving a legit relationship and they were all scanned as part of her application.

This is her second visa I did the same for the first one so they already know our relationship is legit 

1 hour ago, SERGERAMOS said:

This is her second visa I did the same for the first one so they already know our relationship is legit 

Don't take that for granted, she should apply as if it's her first application, they won't automatically cross reference with her earlier evidence.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:12 AM, mlkik said:

VFS staff are merely paper handlers; they play no part in the decision making.

If an applicant presents unnecessary documents then VFS staff have to accept them and forward them on.

I suspect that when this application reached the hub in Delhi that the actual decision maker simply ignored the photos. Fortunately for your girlfriend as these days it's all electronic the decision maker didn't have to wade through thirty pages of rubbish to find the important stuff. In the old days when they had the actual documents it often happened that applicants who submitted pages of unwanted and unnecessary documents were refused because decision makers have a very limited amount of time to spend on each application which meant that when quickly wading through the rubbish they missed something vital!

How do photos prove a legit relationship? All they prove is that the two of you were in the same place at the same time; or one of you is good at photoshop or similar!

On 1/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, theoldgit said:

As you're aware all supporting documents are scanned in Bangkok and sent to Delhi, not sure that they would scan photos that applicants are advised not to send, but if they did I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be looked at.    

I am in the middle of another application for my wife, her 8th, and its a bit like doing the first. They are fairly clear on what not to send but under the new system a bit vague on what to send and it would appear VFS are obliged to send everything presented in the correct format.

Before, previous passports were just handed in and returned with the current passport. Now they show up on the Additional Documents barcode separator without any indication of what should be included. In the absence of anything else I just plan to include the main page of the other 3 passports.

I would have thought in this day and age they would have an auxiliary database for permanent historical data, the Canadians have been doing it on relatives for several years.

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

I am in the middle of another application for my wife, her 8th, and its a bit like doing the first. They are fairly clear on what not to send but under the new system a bit vague on what to send and it would appear VFS are obliged to send everything presented in the correct format.

Before, previous passports were just handed in and returned with the current passport. Now they show up on the Additional Documents barcode separator without any indication of what should be included. In the absence of anything else I just plan to include the main page of the other 3 passports.

I would have thought in this day and age they would have an auxiliary database for permanent historical data, the Canadians have been doing it on relatives for several years.

Have never handed in previous passports and only submit the current passport ID page.

Also now doing the 8th application, the application comprises 6 pieces of paper.

3 hours ago, LucysDad said:

Have never handed in previous passports and only submit the current passport ID page.

Also now doing the 8th application, the application comprises 6 pieces of paper.

Question 18 on the application asks for details of all previous passports and since 2009 at least it was required that they be submitted. They show up as item 11 on the checklist of required documents that used to be used by VFS.

This statement appears on the barcode separators that must be now used.

"Any documents which are smaller or larger than A4 must be photocopied onto A4 sized paper. This includes previous passports and photographs."

You must be doing something different, the application form is 14 pages on its own and has been since it went online and I cannot see how anyone can get away without using at least 3 barcode separators. So with the minimum of 1 page per barcode, which is highly unlikely, there would be at least 20 pieces of paper.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Question 18 on the application asks for details of all previous passports and since 2009 at least it was required that they be submitted. They show up as item 11 on the checklist of required documents that used to be used by VFS.

This statement appears on the barcode separators that must be now used.

"Any documents which are smaller or larger than A4 must be photocopied onto A4 sized paper. This includes previous passports and photographs."

You must be doing something different, the application form is 14 pages on its own and has been since it went online and I cannot see how anyone can get away without using at least 3 barcode separators. So with the minimum of 1 page per barcode, which is highly unlikely, there would be at least 20 pieces of paper.

You don't take the application; the last changes only called for only the first page. The application is already submitted online - that is not in the number, nor the 1 barcode separator.

My sponsor letter

My bank statement

My covering A4 sheet showing how the 3 key criteria are met.

My P60 x 2

Copy of Chanote

Previous passports have never been submitted, although my missus previously carried them with her to VfS in case they were asked for.

Normally get the visa in 2-3 days, last time with India (early days) they took the full 10 working days. I am expecting 5 days this time.

15 hours ago, LucysDad said:

You don't take the application; the last changes only called for only the first page. The application is already submitted online - that is not in the number, nor the 1 barcode separator.

My sponsor letter

My bank statement

My covering A4 sheet showing how the 3 key criteria are met.

My P60 x 2

Copy of Chanote

Previous passports have never been submitted, although my missus previously carried them with her to VfS in case they were asked for.

Normally get the visa in 2-3 days, last time with India (early days) they took the full 10 working days. I am expecting 5 days this time.

Ignoring something that has been asked for is not normally a sensible policy but the fact you have done it without a problem is good to know. It cannot be denied that the barcode separator states previous passports.

The documents you have listed are about the same as mine other than the fact I have 3 small pensions and 2 bank statements. You seem to have ignored relationship, in my wife's case, a further 6 documents, my marriage certificate is from the GRO in the UK and she changed her name last year. It is all about individual circumstances.

This is the instructions from the appointment letter just received.

YOU HAVE BOOKED A STANDARD VISA APPOINTMENT
Please bring:
- a print out of your appointment confirmation
- a signed print out of your visa application form
- your passport
- a tuberculosis (TB) test certificate if you are going to the UK for more than 6 months
- if you are under 18, a signed letter of consent from a parent or guardian
- any other documents to support your application.

I wouldn't read "- a signed print out of your visa application form" as being just the first page, the website would suggest that you may well be right but I am certainly not going to take a chance for the sake of 13 baht. There are 2 physical signatures on pages 2 and 13 that they cannot get online, something they may have dispensed with, or possibly overlooked. Will find out one way or another shortly.

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Ignoring something that has been asked for is not normally a sensible policy but the fact you have done it without a problem is good to know. It cannot be denied that the barcode separator states previous passports.

The documents you have listed are about the same as mine other than the fact I have 3 small pensions and 2 bank statements. You seem to have ignored relationship, in my wife's case, a further 6 documents, my marriage certificate is from the GRO in the UK and she changed her name last year. It is all about individual circumstances.

This is the instructions from the appointment letter just received.

YOU HAVE BOOKED A STANDARD VISA APPOINTMENT
Please bring:
- a print out of your appointment confirmation
- a signed print out of your visa application form
- your passport
- a tuberculosis (TB) test certificate if you are going to the UK for more than 6 months
- if you are under 18, a signed letter of consent from a parent or guardian
- any other documents to support your application.

I wouldn't read "- a signed print out of your visa application form" as being just the first page, the website would suggest that you may well be right but I am certainly not going to take a chance for the sake of 13 baht. There are 2 physical signatures on pages 2 and 13 that they cannot get online, something they may have dispensed with, or possibly overlooked. Will find out one way or another shortly.

Depends which system you apply on Sandy.... I usually use visa4UK.

I have not ignored relationship - that is on  my A4 sheet - I have no documents that need submitting.

Your pension info is arguably not needed if you have adequate funds evidenced by your bank statement - that is all an ECO needs, to evidence financial adequacy,  for a standard visit visa. I must admit that I cannot resist putting in my P60's to show income as well.

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Printout of your checklist or the front page of your completed visa application form

A printout of your checklist if you applied on AccessUK or a printout of the front page of the application form if you applied on visa4uk. Only small manual amendments to this form will be accepted at the visa application centre

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/vacs/what-to-bring-with-you

(note - this is different to standard wording in the appointment letter).

4 hours ago, LucysDad said:

Depends which system you apply on Sandy.... I usually use visa4UK.

I have not ignored relationship - that is on  my A4 sheet - I have no documents that need submitting.

Your pension info is arguably not needed if you have adequate funds evidenced by your bank statement - that is all an ECO needs, to evidence financial adequacy,  for a standard visit visa. I must admit that I cannot resist putting in my P60's to show income as well.

I use the visa4UK site.

How would anyone know what the ECO considers to be adequate funds, a bit subjective for those at the lower end of the income scale to be leaving stuff out.

Archived