U.S. Social Security International Direct Deposit (IDD) Update

Pib

1 hour ago, claynlr said:

Thanks Pib!

In your application did you have anything that you might consider unusual from what most people submit.  Like maybe are you are already collecting a foreign pension from working in another country before?  If so, that will surely slow down the approval process as the SSA usually has to get info from the other country as to how much is being paid.   Or maybe you are applying based on a former spouse's earning record versus your own?  Are you a citizen by birth or naturalization?....Naturalized citizen usually end have to provide a copy of the U.S. passport and/or naturalization certificate.   

If not, maybe the SSA (Baltimore and/or Manila) just dropped the ball on your application and the ball just laid around until you started asking "what the heck is going on SSA?"  

Now I will say in those cases where Manila initially processes an application and then forwards it to Baltimore for review/approval, Baltimore has 60 days before they have to even look at it for the first time.   I got told that by two SSA reps several years back when my straight-forth application that Manila submitted to Baltimore seem to be stuck.  I was expecting approval within a few weeks but Baltimore seemed to be just setting on it.   And like in your case where you submited online direct to Baltimore I guess they may still have that 60 day period before they even have to look at it.

I got lucky when I called Baltimore one night regarding my application's status which was submitted thru/from Manila....lucky because I called right to the section that did the review/approval vs the catch-all SSA number.  The rep started off by saying they ha 60 days to "initially" review it....he opened up the application...spent about a minute reviewing it while I was still on the phone....he said it looked fine to him and didn't know why it hadn't been approved already.   He said apologized for hte delay...said he didn't understand why it had been approved already....and then said it would be approved by tomorrow.  The next morning when I checking my online acct it was approved.

Now for my wife's application it got approved within about 3 weeks BUT Manila messed up the benefit begin date which resulted in  beginning the pension a few months earlier than requested....a lower pension amount.   They initially paid two months worth after the applications approval....then in order to correct their error they first had to recall the money paid to Bangkok Bank which took a month or so...then they had problems correcting their mistake and actually started all over by deleting her in-system application and re-accomplishing/re-inputting it....but finally after about 6 months it got correct/fixed.   Thank goodness that's a once in a life time event....that is, apply for social security pension.

Anyone can advise I’d appreciate it. I’ve changed US Social Security to be paid to Bangkok Bank Thailand the change was done through SS Manila. Prior I’d get paid/direct deposit in US on 3rd

of each month. 

- Does the direct Deposit stay same date?

- if it’s paid same date is there a 1-2 days delay before seeing in Bangkok Bank? 

Thanks a d enjoy the weekend 

7 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Anyone can advise I’d appreciate it. I’ve changed US Social Security to be paid to Bangkok Bank Thailand the change was done through SS Manila. Prior I’d get paid/direct deposit in US on 3rd

of each month. 

- Does the direct Deposit stay same date?

- if it’s paid same date is there a 1-2 days delay before seeing in Bangkok Bank? 

Thanks a d enjoy the weekend 

If the 3rd falls on a Monday-Friday (e.g., business days) the funds post to your Bangkok Bank acct on the 3rd.  But if the 3rd falls on a holiday, Saturday, or Sunday you get paid next business day Monday-Friday.

Edited by Pib