Korat issues new savings account very easy

Lefty

For those needing a new bank savings account when applying for retirement extension go to Bangkok Bank Saveone branch.took me about 30 minutes.no work permit,just retirement extension,but a little extra forms due to being American citizen.Very good service.

Lefty

For those needing a new bank savings account when applying for retirement extension go to Bangkok Bank Saveone branch.took me about 30 minutes.no work permit,just retirement extension,but a little extra forms due to being American citizen.Very good service.
Lefty
Did you have to provide a proof of residancy letter from immigration?

Sent from my ARE-AL00 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Lefty said:

Lefty

What paperwork did you need - was it only your passport? Or were there other documents too, such as a letter from the US embassy, for example, or a recommendation from a Thai, or someone else with a Bangkok Bank account?

Would you like to tell us about the 'extra forms'?

Do you mean you had to supply them from elsewhere, or were they forms the bank asked you to complete in order to open the account?

What paperwork did you need - was it only your passport? Or were there other documents too, such as a letter from the US embassy, for example, or a recommendation from a Thai, or someone else with a Bangkok Bank account?

Do you mean you had to supply them from elsewhere, or were they forms the bank asked you to complete in order to open the account?

Shhh, must be a secret..

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Likely the standard forms the US government forces foreign financial institutions to collect from American citizens (or those suspected of having some taxable relationship to America) for the benefit of IRS and FinCen (Financial Crimes Enforcement Network).  Collecting your SSN/TIN (Social Security/Taxpayer ID Number).  Nothing to worry about as long as you annually report your foreign accounts (FBAR) and any foreign income received on your US Income Tax return. ????  Sometimes even non-Americans are made to fill out the forms stating that they are not US citizens.  For some reason, some foreign banks aren't very excited about having US customers.

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Likely the standard forms the US government forces foreign financial institutions to collect from American citizens (or those suspected of having some taxable relationship to America) for the benefit of IRS and FinCen (Financial Crimes Enforcement Network).  Collecting your SSN/TIN (Social Security/Taxpayer ID Number).  Nothing to worry about as long as you annually report your foreign accounts (FBAR) and any foreign income received on your US Income Tax return. ????  Sometimes even non-Americans are made to fill out the forms stating that they are not US citizens.  For some reason, some foreign banks aren't very excited about having US customers.

Thanks for the reply.

I had guessed it may have been something like that, but I wanted to hear back from the OP directly, as I want to know exactly what's needed to open a Bangkok Bank account.

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the reply.

I had guessed it may have been something like that, but I wanted to hear back from the OP directly, as I want to know exactly what's needed to open a Bangkok Bank account.

Understood.  It would be nice to hear from someone like the OP with recent experience.

The last time I opened a new account at Bangkok Bank was about 2013 and at the time I had to fill out all the paperwork I referred to above, plus I had to show them my official Social Security card, which I was amazed to find out that I still had.  The potential penalties for foreign banks that don't do this sort of data collection and reporting on behalf of the US government include having all their assets in the US frozen and being banned from doing any business with the largest economy in the world.  Threats like that tend to get people's attention. ????

Replied on similar topic recently, however, don’t mind repeating. Went to BKK bank Pattaya, north end of 2nd road. Opened account in about 20 mins. Visa exempt only and blue house book. I don’t live in Pattaya but own condo. Helpful staff and walked out with ATM/visa debit card. Account working fine, not currently in Pattaya but BKK bank app works fine. Realize from other posts that some encounter problems but fortunately not my experience.

2 hours ago, Breakingbad said:

Replied on similar topic recently, however, don’t mind repeating. Went to BKK bank Pattaya, north end of 2nd road. Opened account in about 20 mins. Visa exempt only and blue house book. I don’t live in Pattaya but own condo. Helpful staff and walked out with ATM/visa debit card. Account working fine, not currently in Pattaya but BKK bank app works fine. Realize from other posts that some encounter problems but fortunately not my experience.

Regarding your ATM/visa debit card:  is it really a Visa and not MasterCard?  I was under the impression that Bangkok Bank currently only offered either a MasterCard or a Union Pay card.  They used to offer Visa and I currently have one, but I understand that when it expires Bangkok Bank will not give me a new Visa card, only MasterCard or Union Pay.  So if you really received a Visa card that would be welcome news.

I opened a Bangkok Bank Account  at the beginning of the month in Mahasarakham.

Took my passport. tabian ban (yellow), and Thai ID card (pink)

They seemed more concerned with the ID card which they used the details from

for all the forms.....I'm from the UK so no extra forms.

And Skatewash....yes its a MasterCard...Be 1st smart

Have a Nice  Day.

18 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Regarding your ATM/visa debit card:  is it really a Visa and not MasterCard?  I was under the impression that Bangkok Bank currently only offered either a MasterCard or a Union Pay card.  They used to offer Visa and I currently have one, but I understand that when it expires Bangkok Bank will not give me a new Visa card, only MasterCard or Union Pay.  So if you really received a Visa card that would be welcome news.

A few months ago I spoke to the Bangkok Call Centre about the same issue.

I said that when my ATM/Visa debit card expires I did not want a Union Pay card. I said that after seeing comments from others, I got the impression the Union Pay card should be called Useless Pay card, as so many people found it was not accepted in retail outlets, especially within Thailand. I remembered that only one person was happy - because he found he could use it in India.

I kept referring to it as the Useless Pay card during the conversation and the girl at the call centre admitted that it had not been a success at all.

She did say that it could be used at all outlets in Thailand that accept Visa and Mastercard.

I told her in that case, Bangkok Bank needed to get that message across to the retailers, as they were the ones who were refusing them.

Towards the end of the conversation, the girl did tell me that moves were afoot to use Visa again, but at that time it was still being discussed, with no idea of if/when it would definitely happen.

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

extra forms relate to American tax issues.Forms supplied by bank.Only passport.no other paperwork also gave them copy of Thai drivers license ,My Thai wife was with me to translate.

Lefty

I also found it easy to open a savings acct at Bangkok bank in Roi Et last week.

Just showed passport with Non O visa, yellow house book and driving licence.

500 baht initial deposit, 400 baht for ATM card and passbook, internet banking free are well as free SMS for 1st year.

I Have outlined my experience with Bangkok Bank Saveone branch; your experience may be different,but if you need the account it is worth a try.
Lefty
I tried the Bangkok bank in chok chai, they insisted on the R C, good to know about the branch at save one, iv been there before shopping but I can't remember what road, is it the same road as terminal 21 is one? Ta la..

31 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

I tried the Bangkok bank in chok chai, they insisted on the R C, good to know about the branch at save one, iv been there before shopping but I can't remember what road, is it the same road as terminal 21 is one? Ta la..

Saveone Branch located on main road into Korat from Bangkok, a KM or 2 before highway 2 and hiway 304 junction

great to hear some positive reports on opening bank accounts.  it is not as easy as it used to be but accounts are being opened every day by expats.  unfortunately, most of the reports made to the TV forum are from members who have had a problem.  those that don't have a problem rarely report in and in many cases are not even TV forum members.  most of my friends here in bkk don't read the TV forum.

i remember a member about a year ago that complained about not being able to get an account in bangkok.  many of us told him to try certain branches of bangkok bank or UOB.  he then came back onto the forum to call us all liars and he hadn't even tried the banks/branches that were recommended.  he went to several bank branches located btwn emporium and terminal 21 (but somehow skipped the bangkok bank and UOB branches in the area).  so sometimes it is the person that is the problem, not the bank.

thanks again for the positive reports !!!

20 hours ago, skatewash said:

Yes, visa debit. I was slightly but pleasantly surprised as I had read about UP issue previously. However, won’t lose any sleep if asked to change to MC at some point. Only needed account for routine bills and transfers and could have managed without for the time being. Really hadn’t expected it to be so easy to set up or would have done so earlier, having bought condo 5 years back.

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Towards the end of the conversation, the girl did tell me that moves were afoot to use Visa again, but at that time it was still being discussed, with no idea of if/when it would definitely happen.

They started issuing Mastercards in November.

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They started issuing Mastercards in November.

The BB issued Master Debit Card is the equivalent of the pink ID card.

I just got one recently to replace the previous Visa Debit card and its been a disaster, but I will collect my BB Visa Credit card on Monday to fix the issues. 

13 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

The BB issued Master Debit Card is the equivalent of the pink ID card.

I did not give up my still valid Visa card. I have 3 cards now that includes the UnionPay card I go to use at ATMs to avoid something happening to my Visa card.

I have used the MasterCard for about everything I used the Visa card for without a problem yet except for paying a AIS phone bill online (have had to use the Visa card for it).

55 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I did not give up my still valid Visa card. I have 3 cards now that includes the UnionPay card I go to use at ATMs to avoid something happening to my Visa card.

I have used the MasterCard for about everything I used the Visa card for without a problem yet except for paying a AIS phone bill online (have had to use the Visa card for it).

Depending on when your Visa card was issued UJ, it could only be valid until the end of this year.

The Bank Of Thailand has instructed all Thai banks to 'upgrade' cards from only a magnetic strip (and a 4-digit PIN), to one with the chip embedded in it (and a 6-dgit PIN).

If you still have the older version, the bank will need to replace it before the end of December 2019, as it will not work after that date.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Depending on when your Visa card was issued UJ, it could only be valid until the end of this year.

The Bank Of Thailand has instructed all Thai banks to 'upgrade' cards from only a magnetic strip (and a 4-digit PIN), to one with the chip embedded in it (and a 6-dgit PIN).

If you still have the older version, the bank will need to replace it before the end of December 2019, as it will not work after that date.

That only applies for using it in ATMs. The card remains valid until it expires is what the bank has said.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That only applies for using it in ATMs. The card remains valid until it expires is what the bank has said.

That's odd, I said the same thing about continuing to use it for online purchases only.

When I asked Bangkok Bank Call Centre, they told me that, yes, although the microchip will be the only way to draw out cash in an ATM, the card itself would expire at the end of December 2019 for any use - online as well, and a new one needed to be issued.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:22 PM, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the reply.

That varies from branch to branch. I had to have signed and stamped copies of my passport from my embassy. That was all. (And it was not written on the web site, according to the web site prove of residence, passport and another id, e.g. driving license *should be* enough) Ah, and prove of residence can be your home country, an electric bill e.g.

13 minutes ago, Enki said:

That varies from branch to branch. I had to have signed and stamped copies of my passport from my embassy. That was all. (And it was not written on the web site, according to the web site prove of residence, passport and another id, e.g. driving license *should be* enough) Ah, and prove of residence can be your home country, an electric bill e.g.

Actually it's on the list as one of the items required:

2. Foreigner without work permit

Passport

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

Embassy located  in Thailand

An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.

Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

source:  https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

(click on 'Required Documents for opening an account')

Archived