Still unresolved - Dutch man in dispute over Hua Hin Hospital charges waits on

webfact

Still unresolved - Dutch man in dispute over Hua Hin Hospital charges waits on

77Jowo_.jpg

Picture: Jowo77

A man from the Netherlands who has been involved in a four year dispute about paying out patient charges to Hua Hin Hospital has refused to accept the hospital's offer of a refund. 

He has told health officials that he is owed more than the 12,700 baht he had been offered. 

Erwin Buse, 49, is a former train engineer who is now married in Thailand and tends goats in Prajuab Khiri Khan province. 

He developed colon cancer and was treated in Hua Hin. But a dispute arose when the hospital demanded that he pay an extra 300 baht or 15% on top of regular charges because he was an out patient and a foreigner. 

He was obliged to make 14 visits.

The health authority ordered the hospital to pay him 10,541 baht but the hospital delayed payment.

Finally a former governor of Prajuab got involved saying not only was the hospital's procedures unethical but they were done contrary to regulations. He ordered the hospital to stop charging all foreigners extra for out patient care.

Now that the hospital has finally decided to pay - and increase the sum by 2,205 - Mr Buse remains dissatisfied. 

He is claiming that there are extra fees that should be returned to him and he has turned down the latest cash settlement. 

Mr Buse contacted Thaivisa with the latest developments in the case. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-25

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Now that the hospital has finally decided to pay - and increase the sum by 2,205 - Mr Buse remains dissatisfied. 

This man surely has strong principles.

For what is just a smallish 5 figure sum in baht, I think I would take the money, and try to move on with my life.

It's not about the money but the principle, so I'm surprised he's not seeing more support here, since everyone hates double pricing.  I think I would've given up long ago too, but I "get" why he wants the full amount.  You'd think the *hospital* would want to end it and cough up the extra few bucks.  (Though, according to my calculator, 300 extra baht, times 14 visits, adds up to 4200 baht-- am I missing something, or is he asking for interest?)

now he has his strength back - this story isn't likely to go die in the bum too soon! 

but if it gets to him, where does he go as a back up if there's a relapse? 

they did the job well, medically... but they sure are making an ass of themselves here! 

Stop worrying about the money

You no doubt went to the VIP centre, where there is a lot less waiting to be seen by doctors.

That is your 300 baht per visit you are bitching about

Personally I prefer to pay it each time I go there, rather than sit around all day amid screaming kids and watching the other patients and their associated clan sit and stuff food in their mouths all day

2 hours ago, leeneeds said:

12700,  4 years at bank interest rates will not make the decimal point move very much.

take the money buy a few more goats,

put one in a camp oven stew enjoy the meal,

is the stress of extras worth it,?

You no undastaaaan.

It's about principles, thai people in his country would never get cheated by a hospital.....overcharging sick people who need medical care is as low as it goes...what a shame for thailand! 

38 minutes ago, simon43 said:

He should accept the hospital money 'cos he'll need it to pay the fine for doing work reserved for a Thai ????

He got colon cancer treated for the Thai price (or slightly more lol) which is probably a fraction of what it could have cost in the west

He's only 49 but if he has a work permit to be a goat farmer id be surprised lol

Nobody likes the old Thai double pricing  but in his case i would not be shouting it from the rooftops, especially over 12k

The diagnosis alone would cost 12k+ in some countries never mind the treatment 

In 1983 I was in Pattaya and got some 15 baht soup and was charged 25 baht because she thought I said something different.  peeset instead of tammada.  anyhow, i sued for the 10 baht, plus interest.

next week we go to court for the 99th time.

4 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Erwin, just let it go man, it’s not big money, just think about how much you would have had to pay for the same treatment back home in NL 

Loslaten !!!!!

He won.. he should let it go because the rest is not worth it.. now with this article in the paper he won even more. 

Some real w4nk3r expats on here.

The guy has got a motion in action to stop charging expats more for hospital treatment and all you can do is whine about the small amount of money he wants in compensation. He deserves praise and you whiners need educating!!

We can talk about principles all day…but at the end of that day what doesn’t change is that time is worth more than money. This guy is pointlessly burning a lot of time and energy (not to mention brain cells) in pursuit of ill-defined personal goals and a negligible amount of money. It’s sometimes called ‘cutting off your nose to spite your face’…and it doesn’t make sense.

Whilst I freely admit I would have just accepted what the hospital offered much earlier in the process if it were me, I can also see that this guy and people like him make society better by standing up to injustice and deceit and suffer as a result.

So, I take my hat off to him.

Archived