Still unresolved - Dutch man in dispute over Hua Hin Hospital charges waits on

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, somchaiq said:

Wow, only 12k+ for cancer treatment! He is lucky, also if it is not correct to charge somebody more only since he comes from another country. Do you know what a cancer treatment cost? That are millions! 

The 12K+ was not the total cost of treatment, it was the additional amount he was charged, "on top of regular charges because he was an out patient and a foreigner."

6 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Erwin, just let it go man, it’s not big money, just think about how much you would have had to pay for the same treatment back home in NL 

Loslaten !!!!!

It's not about the money, it's got nothing to about the cost back home.

It's about being ripped off for being a foreigner in Thailand.

Even the health authority and governor have told the hospital it's unethical and contravenes regulations.

He's sticking to his guns out of principle to get refunded all his due payments that were demanded falsely.

The next foreigner might just thank him for doing it.... it might even be you !!!!

Good luck to him... I wish there were a few more with the backbone to do it!

I am surprised at the large number of TV contributors who say "It's only a small amount and don't worry about it and move on" !

I can only assume most TV contributors to this story are very wealthy people..............................or perhaps more likely, not so wealthy, as they don't care about the small amounts of baht that eventually add up to big amounts of baht.

6 hours ago, leeneeds said:

12700,  4 years at bank interest rates will not make the decimal point move very much.

take the money buy a few more goats,

put one in a camp oven stew enjoy the meal,

is the stress of extras worth it,?

my girlfriend number three lives just north of Hua Hin. she raises and sells goats for a living. she gets 4000 baht per goat.

she calls me her "horny goat man" but that is another story. :clap2:

anyway we are talking about three whole goats here. I think he should take the offer. 

Let me clarify a view things. First the article is just a summary of the outcome of the meeting. This meeting was planned for two weeks and I have asked for CEO or the CFO fro  the hospital to come. Instead the hospital have send only some staff. After the CFO of the ministry asked for a clarification of the additional overcharges of 2205baht, the staff (head of 'express clinic') immediately started to defending it that they where legitimate price raises for all paitients. I can remember waiting 2 hours at the hospital while the administration needed to manualy manipulate the bill because they didn't wanted to mention the dreadful  'ADMINISTRATION FEE'. So instead they increased all items on the bill with 15%. Immediately the reporters jumped in that where present at the meeting. If that where true, than they needed to show evidence of this. Of course they didn't have that and very likely it is just an other lie. I asked them why they would refund it if they say those price raises are legit but I didn't got an answer. I told them I take the refund with a written statement of what she just claimed but she couldn't provide it. At that moment the conversation was cut off. I requested a new meeting with only executives from the hospital and asked for the refund with a written statement coming from them.

Almost 2 years ago the CIO of the ministry actually wrote in a letter that 'such medical expenses are an illegal act' and the deputy governor of the province referred to this letter. please note that all persons involved are still in position but in a new location! The complaint is also still under the NACC and they also have to come out with a statement and possible criminal charges.

Due to my persistence things has actually changed in the hospital. The 'Administration Fee' is canceled. The express clinic that is in operation for 8 years without regulation is now actually separated from the OPD department. Previously every foreigner had to pay these extra charges even if you didn't use the express clinic to jump the qeune at the OPD department.

We all know there is a lot of corruption and cheating going on in Thailand but if a government feels the need to cheat on ill people than you have really crossed a line that you have never should. It is kind of sad that it has to come this far to give it a halt. I trusted the ministry of public health 4 years ago to crack down on it quickly but instead they have been to busy to try to make it 'disapear' and let me walk in circles. I have been really disappointed in them. It is not my stress anymore, I passed that on to the hospital and the ministry. It is there turn now.

By the way my profession is engineer. Goat farmer is my wives profession as I am only allowed to pet them… hope this clarifies a bit.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a sad individual, wasting his life over such a small sum.

Have to disagree with you there old son, he obviously has money and is sick and tired of the Thai loss of face attitude, bring them down I say, it's not the money, he is a smart individual and knows exactly what he is doing, he will make them lose face in the end, because the hospital knows if it goes to court, they will pay a lot more.

Now that the media is involved, watch the hospital lose face quickly as someone from upstairs starts kicking heads. I have been known to make Thai's own up to stuff and have stood my ground until they did, its surprising that Xpats just don't get it, if you want this country to finally understand that there is no difference of loss of face and pride, i.e. it's just plain stubbornness, then you deserve everything you get on a daily occurence, Xpats, backing down just goes to show they are all for themselves IMO and have basically the same mentality as the Thai's.

19 minutes ago, TheDutchEngineer said:

Let me clarify a view things. First the article is just a summary of the outcome of the meeting. This meeting was planned for two weeks and I have asked for CEO or the CFO fro  the hospital to come. Instead the hospital have send only some staff. After the CFO of the ministry asked for a clarification of the additional overcharges of 2205baht, the staff (head of 'express clinic') immediately started to defending it that they where legitimate price raises for all paitients. I can remember waiting 2 hours at the hospital while the administration needed to manualy manipulate the bill because they didn't wanted to mention the dreadful  'ADMINISTRATION FEE'. So instead they increased all items on the bill with 15%. Immediately the reporters jumped in that where present at the meeting. If that where true, than they needed to show evidence of this. Of course they didn't have that and very likely it is just an other lie. I asked them why they would refund it if they say those price raises are legit but I didn't got an answer. I told them I take the refund with a written statement of what she just claimed but she couldn't provide it. At that moment the conversation was cut off. I requested a new meeting with only executives from the hospital and asked for the refund with a written statement coming from them.

Almost 2 years ago the CIO of the ministry actually wrote in a letter that 'such medical expenses are an illegal act' and the deputy governor of the province referred to this letter. please note that all persons involved are still in position but in a new location! The complaint is also still under the NACC and they also have to come out with a statement and possible criminal charges.

Due to my persistence things has actually changed in the hospital. The 'Administration Fee' is canceled. The express clinic that is in operation for 8 years without regulation is now actually separated from the OPD department. Previously every foreigner had to pay these extra charges even if you didn't use the express clinic to jump the qeune at the OPD department.

We all know there is a lot of corruption and cheating going on in Thailand but if a government feels the need to cheat on ill people than you have really crossed a line that you have never should. It is kind of sad that it has to come this far to give it a halt. I trusted the ministry of public health 4 years ago to crack down on it quickly but instead they have been to busy to try to make it 'disapear' and let me walk in circles. I have been really disappointed in them. It is not my stress anymore, I passed that on to the hospital and the ministry. It is there turn now.

By the way my profession is engineer. Goat farmer is my wives profession as I am only allowed to pet them… hope this clarifies a bit.

Good on you for having the balls mate, stick it right up them, wish there were more like you in Thailand.

Best of luck as I am sure you will win in the end.

12 minutes ago, TheDutchEngineer said:

Let me clarify a view things.

good to hear from the person involved so the speculation on what happened can stop.

If your action has resulted in getting rid of a foreigners premium,  ( that could not be reflected on invoices as I understand and thus is highly "interesting", ) then good for you !

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Erwin, just let it go man, it’s not big money, just think about how much you would have had to pay for the same treatment back home in NL 

Loslaten !!!!!

not yet. Isn't the money because I can pay the treatment. simply fed up going to the hospital as the beaten dog. time to hit back! my doctor is an integer nice person and we get along just fine and he has no part in this matter, just saying.

8 hours ago, Katia said:

It's not about the money but the principle, so I'm surprised he's not seeing more support here, since everyone hates double pricing.  I think I would've given up long ago too, but I "get" why he wants the full amount.  You'd think the *hospital* would want to end it and cough up the extra few bucks.  (Though, according to my calculator, 300 extra baht, times 14 visits, adds up to 4200 baht-- am I missing something, or is he asking for interest?)

300 is just a part of it. plus additional 'administration fees' and other irregular manipulations. 

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Nothing!

It's included in the insurance every Dutch has.

26 minutes ago, TheDutchEngineer said:

300 is just a part of it. plus additional 'administration fees' and other irregular manipulations. 

Irregular manipulations? What are these irregular manipulations you speak of?

wait... wait.. I don’t think I want to know!

but hey... good on you for taking a stand and impacting on an organization as large as this... my (expat) wife got royally shafted by Bangkok hospital several years ago, whilst I was abroad, so stick it to them, and if the hospital gets away with reducing the amount, PM me and I’ll donate towards the difference.

Well done Mr Dutch. I too was charged 300 baht extra I went back to see the doctor and asked why previously I was charged 300bt and now its 600bt  The Doctor said, " because your  a farang"  she snatched the bill from me and cancelled the fee rudely . I was paying up to 3,000 baht per month for 8years for charges plus pharmacy medication  My wife now picks up the tablets from a pharmacy in Rangsit and pays no more than 400 baht and that's for two month supplies What are these hospitals getting away with.

9 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Loslaten !!!!!

I understand what you mean and I probably would have just wrote it down to TIT, or accepted what they offered. However, I think this bloke has some steel balls in doing what he is doing and hope he gets the settlement he wants. It is good to see someone taking a stand against these double standards and not letting them just fob him off and carry on regardless. If more of us had grown a spine over the years and done the same as him, they probably would have thought twice about their pricing scams in general. I vote with my feet when it comes to their increased national park charges and similar, I just don't go or turn around at the gate. Hat's off to this guy for standing up for something he obviously believes in and it shows too that it is not just about the money.

38 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I understand what you mean and I probably would have just wrote it down to TIT, or accepted what they offered. However, I think this bloke has some steel balls in doing what he is doing and hope he gets the settlement he wants. It is good to see someone taking a stand against these double standards and not letting them just fob him off and carry on regardless. If more of us had grown a spine over the years and done the same as him, they probably would have thought twice about their pricing scams in general. I vote with my feet when it comes to their increased national park charges and similar, I just don't go or turn around at the gate. Hat's off to this guy for standing up for something he obviously believes in and it shows too that it is not just about the money.

Bang on.Well said.

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Do you want to joke about cancer..?

I can talk to you about cancer-also about brain dead gerbils,if you choose.

I was asking another poster if he believed that a work permit had anything to do with cancer.... but if you want to discuss gerbils, lead on

Well good luck to him   

most Dutch follow the straight and narrow  and are schuur boeren  when it comes to money 

but this guy has a health problem and should not be overcharged  again in the west it would be more as everybody  Said  

but he lives in LOS not in the west so has to take what is on offer in the country .

well put yourself in his position many dont worry about 12 grand well Lucky u { he does }

and there are many many more Farang living in Los that could also not miss 12 grand 

so guys a mild approach for this guy  but as Always have the moaners and groaners here   guess nothing better to do

Poor article without spesification of the fee he is complaining about: All fees have a code. The prices can be verified at the goverments website. The goverments webside does not have double pricing like "farang" prices.

The current prices for hospital services can be foundt at "grom banchi glang" the comptroller generals department site: http://welcgd.cgd.go.th/wel/checktstmed. 

Outpatient Service charge have the code 55021 and is priced at 50 baht for all hospitals. Is this the fee you are complaining about?

or is it:

ค่าบริการทางการพยาบาล Nursing Service
ค่าบริการทางทันตกรรม Dental Service
ค่าธรรมเนียมทางการแพทย์ Doctor Service.

image.png

Archived