Language requirement for FLR (M)

We'll be applying for an FLR around Aug / Sep and I understand the requirement is for CEFR A2.  My wife has been studying pretty hard and we think she may well be ready for B1 (in preparation for the future ILR application)

My question is re. the timing of the test.  Is there a time limit on when that can be used in the application?  I have a vague memory of reading somewhere it had a 6 month limit but trawling the gov website I can't seem to find any info regarding limitations... don't want to jump the gun and book a test that will be useless in August.

Aha!  Found the PDF I was looking for.  2 year validity on the tests

LINK

Follow up question... Should we go for the IELTS for UKVI?  I understand the Trinity college GESE is valid but since the IELTS is geared specifically towards visa application does this make the process smoother?

Thanks in advance

As far as I'm aware it doesn't make a difference which one you use. Personally, I think the trinity test is easier. 

If you use b1 for FLR you can use it again for ILR even if it's expired. From memory it states this somewhere in the guidance (as long as its used in a previous successful application). 

Good luck with the test. 

1 hour ago, globalThailand said:

Aha!  Found the PDF I was looking for.  2 year validity on the tests

LINK

Follow up question... Should we go for the IELTS for UKVI?  I understand the Trinity college GESE is valid but since the IELTS is geared specifically towards visa application does this make the process smoother?

Thanks in advance

Trinity GESE tests are much easier than IELTS... based on my partners experience of both

• 2 weeks later...

IELTS is a rip off especially in Thailand. Apart from the examiner asking dodgy stuff asking my wife to describe taking him out for drinks after the test they just want to push for the 5 day pre-test training.
Trinity much more professional. 

On 2/7/2019 at 1:56 PM, thescot said:

IELTS is a rip off especially in Thailand. Apart from the examiner asking dodgy stuff asking my wife to describe taking him out for drinks after the test they just want to push for the 5 day pre-test training.

agree 100%... IELTS main objective is to get applicants to sit multiple tests

On 2/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, thescot said:

Your wife should definitely complain.  All the Life Skills tests in Thailand are videoed (for UKVI checking, not IELTS) and recorded.   Which companies provide the 5 day test training - the British Council?

The element with the least forethought is having to show an ability to converse in English with a candidate who may not be able to speak English. My partner was teamed up with a lady who was on her 4th attempt - the level of stupidity here is astounding. When she then went on to sit the GESE test in the UK she only had to talk with the examiner (who by her position we can assume speaks English) and she passed first time.

Not only that, the language used in the GESE test was the sort of conversations you would expect to have in day to day life, whilst the IELTS tests was expecting my Thai gf to have a conversation about mountain climbing in Austria. If the GESE test is an option take it.

I agree the Trinity test seems easier. UKVI should be more consistent especially since they have awarded IELTS the global testing rights. It surprises me that they still allow an easier option for UK based candidates. It doesn't seem in line with their generally hostile environment for immigrants. It would think there's a good chance Trinity's contract may not be renewed.

As you know, I am involved with IELTS testing here in Bangkok, and can assure you the candidates are rated independently and if they have different abilities it usually benefits the stronger candidate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I agree the Trinity test seems easier. UKVI should be more consistent especially since they have awarded IELTS the global testing rights. It surprises me that they still allow an easier option for UK based candidates. It doesn't seem in line with their generally hostile environment for immigrants. It would think there's a good chance Trinity's contract may not be renewed.

As you know, I am involved with IELTS testing here in Bangkok, and can assure you the candidates are rated independently and if they have different abilities it usually benefits the stronger candidate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought it was odd too that the tests were so different. I'm not sure I agree with you on rating the candidates.

Archived