BANGKOK 18 August 2019 19:50
a977

My trip to Jomtien Immigration

23 hours ago, Spidey said:

It's my contention that the British Embassy took the course of action they did because they were moving to a new, smaller embassy and this action served to reduce staff and office space required. It's significant that the decision was made as a result of a Foreign Office audit, not a Bangkok Embassy decision.

I suspect that is the more likely reason, with the introduction of GDPR being the final nail in the coffin.

The mutually agreed General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force on May 25, 2018, and was designed to modernise laws that protect the personal information of individuals.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-gdpr-uk-eu-legislation-compliance-summary-fines-2018

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A German friend from Jomtien was there on Fri, Jan 4th.

He had his income confirmation(!) from the German consul and a bankbook for the missing amount (untouched since years).

No problem, no questions. Picked up his extension the following Monday.

Confirmation: German consulate/honorary consulates always required documents to proof income which is easy for pensioners.

well the Germans are always efficient.  The Brit Embassy is a disgrace. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Tax forms show last year.

At the very least they should be able to easily verify government pension documents. 

My point exactly.  I used my verified tax return reply letter from HMRC and p60s.  If they don't believe their own documents whats the point of any of it, or them for that mater. 

And before anyone points out that the primary reason for having an embassy at all is to promote trade and business activity on behalf of the UK, I tried that with them in my last company and the BE in BKK turned out to be as useless and unhelpful at that 'duty' as well. As I say, they are a waste of space and good tax payers money. 

If any of us have learnt anything in Thailand, its that quoting their own law to an IO, a Policeman, or an Amphur, producing official documents that support your argument, even showing them what they permitted the last time you visited,  is all a waste of time and will get you nowhere.   You can't reason with arrogance, close mindedness, stubbornness, just plain stupidity and indeed, in some cases, institutional racism. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If any of us have learnt anything in Thailand, its that quoting their own law to an IO, a Policeman, or an Amphur, producing official documents that support your argument, even showing them what they permitted the last time you visited,  is all a waste of time and will get you nowhere.   You can't reason with arrogance, close mindedness, stubbornness, just plain stupidity and indeed, in some cases, institutional racism. 

Those symptoms are more "cover" than "cause."  It's all about the money.

Often, they use the "blame your fellow farangs" angle - repeated here by their apologists (Stockholm Syndrome, paid, or who knows).  It is usually a variation on: "We tightened-up the requirements to stop-fraud."
... for which the real-world translation is: "Generate more payoff agent-applications, which are completely fraudulent."

It's not unique to immigration - can be any "foreigner" related activity.  The same angle is used at many amphoes, to block marriage applications, as I found out first hand a couple years ago.  Use an agent and, suddenly, your relationship is genuine, after all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I used my verified tax return reply letter from HMRC and p60s. 

The BE didn't 'verify' them, they can't, so who verified them?

39 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

It is this type of officialdom corruption IMHO that will keep Thailand from being seen as arguably the best retirement destination on planet earth.

I, and I'm sure many others have never personally experienced corruption at an IO.

Perhaps it's those up-market high cost areas you live in.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

It is this type of officialdom corruption IMHO that will keep Thailand from being seen as arguably the best retirement destination on planet earth.

It was only ever seen by some people as the best retirement destination on earth because it was cheap to live and easy to get visas. Regarding 'Living' I actually mean living a decent life and not existing because you can. All said and done, that is fast changing on both accounts.

23 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The BE in Bangkok cannot even verify a birth certificate or degrees etc any longer!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It was only ever seen by some people as the best retirement destination on earth because it was cheap to live and easy to get visas. Regarding 'Living' I actually mean living a decent life and not existing because you can. All said and done, that is fast changing on both accounts.

Can you explain what is indecent about living in Thailand?  Scratching my head here.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

They are legal documents in the UK, issued on behalf of HMRC by your payer, or by HMRC itself.  You can't get better than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Cost is higher for those who have been here a long time, I suppose - I have heard stories about how cheap things were way back when.  But, it is still very affordable in my book.  Only the truly poor from higher-wage nations would find Thailand's living-costs "expensive."

The primary impediment preventing more people from living well and spending more here is immigration - not the cost of living.  Their efforts not only drive away countless would-be spenders, but also redirect chunks of money from those who stay which would otherwise be spent into Thailand's market-economy - spent instead in other countries for visa-trips, "extra fees" for ED-extensions, agent-fees, the elite, etc.  It's a "lose-lose" policy-shift, for honest businesses.

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Cost is higher for those who have been here a long time, I suppose - I have heard stories about how cheap things were way back when.  But, it is still very affordable in my book.  Only the truly poor from higher-wage nations would find Thailand's living-costs "expensive."

The major cost factor and increasing year on year is the FX rates for those not working here. Yes, I agree that the cost of living in Thailand has not risen greatly in itself but things are getting more and more expensive.
If the next 5 year FX forecasts come anywhere near forecast, it is looking likely to not be that far out with the issues these country's have coming, with the US dollar forcast at 28, the AUS Dollar at 19 and sterling around 34, Visas I would suggest, would be the least of peoples problems. 

3 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

The major cost factor and increasing year on year is the FX rates for those not working here. //

This has been discussed many times in the past, but many retirees have chosen to invest in Thailand to avoid this kind of problems, and some of them must be smiling now thinking about those who - 10 years ago - said they were crazy/stupid to do so... :wink:

I bought condos in 2008 when the Euro was at 54 Baht. Today it's at 36 Baht.  (+50% on re-sale with exchange rate only) :cool:

I invested in the Thai Stock Exchange. It gave me nice profits and also is FX rate proof when living here. :smile:

You can't protect 100% your future, but not putting all your eggs in one basket highly reduce risks. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1