My trip to Jomtien Immigration

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

The 800k baht has been a requirement for retirement visas for years...the embassy income letters have been exposed as a farce...put the money in a Thai bank and move on...or just move.

Wondering what type of account holding the 800,000 will qualify?

Savings?

Fixed?

Fund?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, KCPhuket said:

Savings?

Fixed?

Fund?

Thanks

My understanding is that they must be liquid, i.e. accessible at short notice, and deposited in a bank.

It could be that some immigration offices will not accept certain types of accounts because they appear illiquid even though they are liquid.

3 hours ago, glegolo said:

To my understanding we all are still waiting for a decision from thai gouverment and a new law that confirm what is valid in order to apply for an extension of stay marriage or retirement.

You guys from the "troublesome four" countries have to wait and see there is NO common valid rules as yet... Jst different rules applied on different Imm.officies.

So you are wrong I guess and should slow down a bit

glegolo

"Jst different rules applied on different Imm.officies". That has been the case as long as I can remember, and not just on this occasion.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Wasn't it the British embassy that first pretended that Thai Immigration wanted something new and they could not provide it and the US and Aussies just jumped on board to cut down on work load?   

And actually it was the British embassy that announced that the Americans were going to do the same thing before the US embassy had announced anything, which seemed preemptively inappropriate and may have forced the US to announce they were following suit sooner than they might have done. It certainly seemed the US embassy made their announcement in an incoherent and half a$$ed way ... more so than their usual half a$$ed performance.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's my contention that the British Embassy took the course of action they did because trhey were moving to a new, smaller embassy and this action served to reduce staff and office space required. It's significant that the decision was made as a result of a Foreign Office audit, not a Bangkok Embassy decision.

I doubt they will reduce staffing level.

More like reduce,  there work load.

So more time to Toss it off, or dream up more ways to stuff over those traitor Ex-pats.  :jap:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What a load of nonsense.

So how much should someone retired have in the bank according to you? 

So many emergent things  could arise after 60 and even more after 70. How much do you think people need? 

800k is a bargain and I think it will go higher soon IMHO. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KCPhuket said:

Savings?

Fixed?

Fund?

From my experience in Pattaya :

- Saving and Fixed accounts are accepted for the 400/800k

- Fund or Stock Exchange account not accepted (because available only at Day+1 or latter)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

So many emergent things  could arise after 60 and even more after 70. How much do you think people need? 

A decent insurance can help.

To each his own here also, living  some time longer but nearly like a vegetable or enjoying life completely till...

I know what I have chosen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man man man… Nobody seems to give the correct answer here! Everybody seems to forget one thing: If you want to use the combined method, you still will need from the embassy an affidavit confirming the part that you use as income part. If your embassy does not provide that anymore, of course you cannot use that method anymore, so for retirement extension you will need 800000THB in the bank or proof that you bring 65000THB every month in a Thai bankaccount, as stated in the new regulations! However, I read nowhere what if you have a part of the 800000THB deposited in the bank and bring a part every month in a Thai bankaccount to match requirements which also would make sens to me... For the embassies that still provide the affidavit, nothing has changed!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

65k per month is the income of top government officials, 3 star generals etc.

It depends what country.

I am Belgian with a monthly net pension of 2300 Euro ( +/- 82000 ThB ).

My pension amount is not in the low level, but definitively not in the highest level.

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

It depends what country.

My pension amount is not in the low level, but definitively not in the highest level.

Oops!

Of course I refer to THAI government officials.

Just to give a scale to the requirement on foreigners.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

In my opinion it's the embassies' fault, viewing your docs or swearing an affidavit is a verification. All the embassies had to do was issue a letter saying that they'd verified your income as per the docs, or verification provided. I'm sure half the embassies still issuing letters don't do a verification at source,

The Australian and US Embassies did nothing more than 'certify' your signature on the 'Affidavit' or 'Stat Dec'.

They took no responsibility that your statement of income was correct.

The BE on the other hand could 'certify' that from documents and form presented as proof of income to the best of their knowledge and capability the letter and stated income was correct.

To 'verify' the income, as per Immigrations choice of word, would mean not accepting the original documents presented as being genuine, but in checking with the various organisation who issued the letters, that the letter and it's contents were actually genuine.

(The documents have been 'verified' as being genuine and original).

Data protection laws prevent this without your written permission.

What is interesting to note is that the new order for acceptance of letters of income, use the word 'certified', not 'verified'.

The other Embassies continue to state, we 'certify that Mr xxxxx' and appear acceptable to Immigration.

For all we know, after the big 3 pulled out, perhaps Immigration got the message and realised 'verification' was perhaps impossible and the wrong choice of word and changed the requirement to 'certify'.

'Certify' and 'verify' are two completely separate legal terms and have different implications under EU and UK law.

The BE withdrew the income letters, because to continue to issue them under the false and misleading assumption the information supplied had been 'verified' could have led to legal implications, if not legal action.

The US and Australia would have had to revert to the methods used by the BE and other Embassies, had Immigration at the time requested 'certification' as opposed to their then chosen word of 'verification'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

The average pension in Germany (state pension for non government employees/workers) is in the 1200 Euro region. Far from the required 65k Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
40 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

So how much should someone retired have in the bank according to you? 

800k is a bargain and I think it will go higher soon IMHO. 

More nonsense, everybodys situation is different, some people can live easily on 30.000 Bt per month, others need 120.000 to fund their barstool and bargirls existance.

Why nonsense? The question - as I read it - is not about the monthly budget, but about "money in the bank". 800k may be the answer if you need it for Extension, but in all cases I think everyone should have 500k minimum immediately available for any "emergency".

Edited by Pattaya46
is/if
  • Like 1

It depends what country.
While most Belgians have to do with a lot less pension. Consider yourself lucky Luke.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

In my opinion it's the embassies' fault, viewing your docs or swearing an affidavit is a verification. All the embassies had to do was issue a letter saying that they'd verified your income as per the docs, or verification provided. I'm sure half the embassies still issuing letters don't do a verification at source, the famous four gave in too easily.

The old chestnut about people being able to forge docs is valid, but anything can be forged, passports, bank statements, bank letters etc. You have to draw the line somewhere or you go on ad infinitum. Official stamped and signed docs from a persons home country should be considered valid. So should sworn declarations.

Embassies are in Thailand for govt to govt political issues.  Citizen services is provide only as a courtesy as manpower allows.  They do not have the manpower or the where with all to accurately verify anyone's income.  If they issue an "validated"  income statement that is later proven to be a false declaration on the part of the retiree, their veracity in future political discussion would be suspect.

43 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

More nonsense, everybodys situation is different, some people can live easily on 30.000 Bt per month, others need 120.000 to fund their barstool and bargirls existance.

It’s not nonsense many here have poor or no health insurance and require expensive care that baht in the bank could pay for. If all you have is a measly pension after 30 or 40 years of work it means you were completely unprepared for your end of life. You can nonsense all you want but don’t you think hospitals here see old patients on a weekly or maybe even daily time line that can’t afford an operation they need or worse had? 

The police find old people who have fell down or slipped and broke some bone after being found by them a day or two later and can’t afford a hospital. The reason 800k is set is for some people’s own insurance. Thailand can’t afford such nonsense. Who cares if you get by on 30k the average person spends way more than that. You just don’t see the whole picture and seem to live in your own me me me bubble. Soon it will be over 800k required. Just wait or better yet SAVE!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1