My trip to Jomtien Immigration

6 hours ago, a977 said:

So there you have it folks straight from the horses asses mouth At Jomtien . When is someone going to explain to these cretins the difference between what the police order states and what a Memorandum is PLEASE 

Given those two sentences, I'm 100% sure you probably didn't pass the attitude test on the day which may have allowed them to offer you some discretion as well... Keep rolling with your western superiority complex and I'm sure life will only get easier for you here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, SammyT said:

Given those two sentences, I'm 100% sure you probably didn't pass the attitude test on the day which may have allowed them to offer you some discretion as well... Keep rolling with your western superiority complex and I'm sure life will only get easier for you here.

Clearly so, but even the most respectably presented and wai-ing/deferring applicant is still going to have their application rejected if they don't meet their technical rules. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:
3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The 800k baht has been a requirement for retirement visas for years...the embassy income letters have been exposed as a farce...put the money in a Thai bank and move on...or just move.

Another member of "if you don't like it go home" brigade.

Nope, more likely a member of the "common sense" brigade. Or the brigade who respect the right of the Thai government to make a rule and enforce it. 

I'm picking you're a member of the "I'm a rich farang and should be able to do what I like" brigade?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

While most Belgians have to do with a lot less pension. Consider yourself lucky Luke.

The basis principe in Belgium is, the more  you earn, the more you are deducted by the government : taxes, contributions, social security....

and how higher your pension is.

I am married, so my pension is a family pension.

By the way, I salute you Lord Draco.

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The 800k baht has been a requirement for retirement visas for years...the embassy income letters have been exposed as a farce...put the money in a Thai bank and move on...or just move.

Please explain how, exactly, they were "exposed as a farce"?  All I have seen is, "My friend at the bar told me he lied..." sort of claims. 

A felony-charge is nothing to sneeze at (USA and AU), and TI could have referred anyone lying for prosecution if they had any evidence of fraud - not to mention local charges for lying to RTP by presenting a fraudulent document.

6 hours ago, glegolo said:

Bull.. there were absolutely no "demands".. That is just an after-construction from your embassies side,, in order to not look like <deleted> when stopping issuing these income-letters... Specially when the whole rest of the would is doing them......

glegolo

I do not see why it can not be a combination effort.  TI wanted to stop the embassy letters cutting into their agent-revenue, so brought this up at the May meeting.  Some nations wanted to "shift" some of their expats to other countries, so played it up. 

The UK offers pension-increases, if you move to the PI - but not if you stay here; think about why that is?  Similarly, the PI has more than doubled the length of time one can stay in-country before doing an out/in run - to 3 years. 

In most world-events I have studied, there is no "good team" to be found - though sometimes a "less bad" or "much less bad" team.  In this case - embassies/depts-of-state vs immigration - it could be about equally bad.  One grabbed on arm, and one grabbed the other, and under-the-bus we went.

• Like 2

The basis principe in Belgium is, the more  you earn, the more you are deducted by the government : taxes, contributions, social security....
and how higher your pension is.
I am married, so my pension is a family pension.

By the way, I salute you Lord Draco.
;-)

True, the more you earn the more taxes you pay... but pensions are capped, so at one point you pay more and more taxes but don't receive a higher pension. :(
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Nope, more likely a member of the "common sense" brigade. Or the brigade who respect the right of the Thai government to make a rule and enforce it. 

I'm picking you're a member of the "I'm a rich farang and should be able to do what I like" brigade?

Thai government enforcing rules:cheesy:  need a brown enveIope for that.???? I wish I was a rich Farang???? and yes, I will do what I like if I think I will get away with it, and anything I do is not to the detriment of ordinary people.

Stick to everyones rules and you may as well just stay in your bed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I would suggest that expats not expect those to be OK, and instead plan for an 800K bank account seasoned application where embassy letter was never needed.

You keep repeating that rhetoric throughout your posts and beginning to sound like an IO.

Repeated telling an 80 year old married expat, with assets of several thousand baht invested in Thailand, but living on a pension of 50-60K per month, to put the 400K in the bank doesn't help their situation.

Even f they tightened their belts, how long would it take to save 400K?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, divali said:

For the embassies that still provide the affidavit, nothing has changed!

Nothing has changed for any of the embassies. For those that had the common sense to obtain an embassy letter before the deadline, those letters will still be acceptable until mid June.

Don't blame the embassies or TI for your spectacular lack of foresight.

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I doubt they will reduce staffing level.

More like reduce,  there work load.

So more time to Toss it off, or dream up more ways to stuff over those traitor Ex-pats.  :jap:

At the British Embassy, the income letters were processed entirely by Thai ancillary staff. My last income letter was even signed by a Thai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

To 'verify' the income, as per Immigrations choice of word, would mean not accepting the original documents presented as being genuine, but in checking with the various organisation who issued the letters, that the letter and it's contents were actually genuine.

(The documents have been 'verified' as being genuine and original).

Data protection laws prevent this without your written permission.

There is zero evidence that this was said in the meeting between TI and the embassies, last May.

They asked for a greater level of verification from some embassies. Which embassies that was directed at and what level of verification they were asking for, we'll probably never know.

However, there's some indication of what was said in the fact that several embassies, who preform a similar level of verification to the British Embassy, saw no reason to change their method of verification or cease issuing their income letters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

A felony-charge is nothing to sneeze at (USA and AU), and TI could have referred anyone lying for prosecution if they had any evidence of fraud - not to mention local charges for lying to RTP by presenting a fraudulent document.

And in all the years of those embassies issuing affidavits, not one person was prosecuted for it, although I've no doubt a number of their citizens gilded the lily when making their declarations.

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

At this point in time, there is nobody on this forum or outside this forum that can say definitely that if you present an income based application (including combo) WITHOUT EMBASSY LETTER based on the currently published rules that there is a very high assurance of acceptance.

Partly correct, 'no one on this forum'.

Incorrect 'outside this forum'.

Marriage extension, 12 months bank statements and letter from bank, accepted by local IO on 15/1, awaiting approval.

Note, neither the statements, nor the letter confirmed deposits from overseas (Kasikorn).

IO (Superintendent) stated they weren't concerned where the deposits came from.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Partly correct, 'no one on this forum'.

Incorrect 'outside this forum'.

Marriage extension, 12 months bank statements and letter from bank, accepted by local IO on 15/1, awaiting approval.

Note, neither the statements, nor the letter confirmed deposits from overseas (Kasikorn).

IO (Superintendent) stated they weren't concerned where the deposits came from.

I don't see how even the big boss of all Thai immigration knows how income based applications (including combo) without embassy letters are actually in real life going to be enforced upon at all the immigration offices.

At this EARLY TIME with this new situation. 

Some high level insiders would presumably know their intentions (though on combo method without embassy letters even that is very questionable) but this is all so new, I stand by the gist of what I meant. There is nobody anywhere that can give you strong assurances (AT THIS TIME) about acceptance at all offices of income (and combo) based applications without embassy letters.

OK, I reread your post. You say you're having success. That's one case. Great! You do realize I was talking in GENERAL right?!? Individual cases of success or failure at a specific office are not enough to give people IN GENERAL confidence about this new situation (income including combo applications without embassy letter). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Wasn't it the British embassy that first pretended that Thai Immigration wanted something new and they could not provide it and the US and Aussies just jumped on board to cut down on work load?   

The BE was scaling back, but not the USA, who was making a killing off those letters.  No idea on the AU's angle - no interviews for FOI results, yet.

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Everyone was willing, the problem is many documents were fraudulent showing income people did not truly have.

I have yet to see evidence of "many documents were fraudulent" and "income people did not truly have."  Must be a few - but some "big problem" is not evident.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Evidence? Many embassies continue to offer embassy letters using the same verification process as the British Embassy.

France still uses Stat-Docs - yes?  No paperwork required?  Someone posted this elsewhere - but perhaps not.

4 hours ago, KCPhuket said:

Wondering what type of account holding the 800,000 will qualify?

Savings?

Fixed?

Fund?

Thanks

As long as it is Instant Access, when Immigration is open I may add. So a Foreign Currency Account would qualify as long as you can get online or to the bank to do the exchange  transfer.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Last time I checked some U.S. official on the radio doesn't determine enforcement policies at Thai immigration offices.

Correct, of course.  And there was that blather about "teaching immigration about foreign docs" before, which evidently went nowhere. 

But, the new-rules should not have made any change to the combo-method.  The risk comes down to corruption - which is widespread - and why I do think your approach is a prudent one.  Some offices will be looking for any opening to not do the right thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

IMHO if someone cannot afford to deposit 800,00 baht in an account then they are not ready for retirement!

If you’re economically literate you would not want 800k sitting in a zero/low interest Thai bank account rather than invested in a medium generating income/growth.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't see how even the big boss of all Thai immigration knows how income based applications (including combo) without embassy letters are actually in real life going to be enforced upon at all the immigration offices.

At this EARLY TIME with this new situation. 

Read sections 2.18, Procedures (2) and 2.22, Procedures (1) of the new amendment.

They even give an example if the extension application is less than 1 year since the amendment was issued.

It specifically details income deposits in a Thai bank and certified letter.

The reference to income from an Embassy letter is detailed separately in (3) and (2) respectively.

The one reported case of a combo application was rejected because by the OP's own admission he hadn't deposited 65K per month, each and every month over the 3 month period.