Jump to content
BANGKOK
a977

My trip to Jomtien Immigration

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

OK Joe, but if someone does not know how much his 12 month imports will eventually be, how would they know how much to top-up in month 9.

They would have to guess and put in more than they think is needed due to exchange rate fluctuations during the 3 months needed.

I think most be people would be sending in the same amount every month in their home country currency. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

OK Joe, but if someone does not know how much his 12 month imports will eventually be, how would they know how much to top-up in month 9

It's not what they will be, it's what they were for the previous 12 months

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

OK Joe, but if someone does not know how much his 12 month imports will eventually be, how would they know how much to top-up in month 9

Apologies, I may have misinterpreted your question.

 

If your extension was due say Sept 2019, no Embassy letter and using the combo method.

Immigration would only accept the income deposited in your Thai bank as proof of income.

If you haven't been depositing your income for the 12 month period, then they could only calculate from the month you started making those deposits.

 

2019 is suppose to be a transitional year and Immigration are supposed to be lenient with applications until a full 12 months has lapsed. From Jan 2020 they'll calculate on a full 12 months of deposits.

 

The easiest option would be to proportion  the months from Jan, up to the date of application, 

If you were applying in Aug, that would be a total of 8 months from Jan.

If 800,000 is the annual figure, divide by 12 x 8 = 533,333Bht requirement for a combined total of funds and income deposited over an 8 month period. The funds must still have been seasoned for 3 months.

However I'm not an IO!

 

I suspect each IO will adopt it's own method of calculations and levels of 'leniency'

I think they're still confused about the combo method.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Spidey said:

As for the US and Australian Embassies, it would have been a fairly simple matter for them to change their requirements for proof of income to match the procedures of the British and other embassies, which would probably have satisfied TI and allowed them to continue issuing the letters.

Apparently BE did not think that it was enough proof and you would expect US to adopt the same procedure that BE was saying not good enough. US could have asked for a certified 1040 (tax returns) from IRS (costs $50) which is good for proving your income for all sorts of US loans, including mortgage loans. 

Edited by onera1961

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, onera1961 said:

Apparently BE did not think that it was enough proof and you would expect US to adopt the same procedure that BE was saying not good enough. US could have asked for a certified 1040 (tax returns) from IRS (costs $50) which is good for proving your income for all sorts of US loans, inclduing mortgage loans. 

Tax forms show last year.

At the very least they should be able to easily verify government pension documents. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am Belgian with a monthly net pension of 2300 Euro ( +/- 82000 ThB ).

My pension amount is not in the low level, but definitively not in the highest level.

Just curious, how does your embassy verify your incomes? Wondering why US, BE, or AU, DK could not do the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

In that case so should everyone who comes in to live in the UK or any other western country including the many Thais. Whats for the goose is for the gander.

How could one live in the UK? Being a US citizen, they kicked me out after three months. I was self funded and spending my money but they told me I have no business living in the UK. I can go back to the USA. 

Edited by onera1961

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, onera1961 said:

how does your embassy verify your incomes?

I present a download of my monthly payments  by the Belgian Office of Pensions together with a download of my Belgian bank statements showing the monthly amounts paid by the Belgian O. o. Pensions.

This at the Austrian Consulate in Pattaya. 

To my knowledge the Consulate only confirm incomes from an National Office of Pensions. 

Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Luxemburgers ( maybe more nationalities? ) can use their services. 

I use the Austrian Consulate for about 10 years now, never had to show anything else than the L. o. I. from the Consulate, at the Immigration in Jomtien. 

Will see if the same this year, I will do my yearly extension next week. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Just curious, how does your embassy verify your incomes? Wondering why US, BE, or AU, DK could not do the same.

They don't and can't 'verify' incomes, they continue to 'certify'' the letter and continue to use that wording.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The new method of proving monthly income, is less convenient and more expensive than before, but hardly rocket science. I have already started transferring 70k baht/month by SWIFT or TransferWise. I'm sure that after a few months, I will have forgotten that there was any other method.

I assume you were already transferring funds to Thailand for living expenses anyway, or were you using another method.

 

I only ask because recently discussing the new income method with an old friend who also complained of the cost involvement, I found out for the last 17 year he's been withdrawing from his UK bank using his debit card in an ATM.

Approx 3 times a month!

Not only was his UK bank applying a fixed £6.54 charge, the ATM charged 200 baht for each withdrawal.

His UK banks exchange rate was about 2BHT less than BKK TT rate.

 

After we sat down and worked through some figures, he'll actually be £'s in profit making regular monthly transfers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume you were already transferring funds to Thailand for living expenses anyway, or were you using another method.

 

I only ask because recently discussing the new income method with an old friend who also complained of the cost involvement, I found out for the last 17 year he's been withdrawing from his UK bank using his debit card in an ATM.

Approx 3 times a month!

Not only was his UK bank applying a fixed £6.54 charge, the ATM charged 200 baht for each withdrawal.

His UK banks exchange rate was about 2BHT less than BKK TT rate.

 

After we sat down and worked through some figures, he'll actually be £'s in profit making regular monthly transfers.

I was transferring funds by withdrawing funds on my Halifax Clarity CC. Went into the bank, teller put my card in the card reader, withdrew the funds and deposited them in my Thai bank account. Zero charges by either bank and got the Mastercard exchange rate, which seems to be the same as TT. Not found a better exchange rate.

 

This month used SWIFT transfer, got a really poor exchange rate, was charged i.r.o. 500 baht by my UK bank and 200 baht by my Thai bank. Did the calculations and found that this method would cost me an extra 12k baht/ year. Will try TransferWise next month in the hope that it can reduce my costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Will try TransferWise next month in the hope that it can reduce my costs.

Yes they can, but if you wish to get an extension based on income, can you take the chance of a few transfers not showing up as International?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I was transferring funds by withdrawing funds on my Halifax Clarity CC. Went into the bank, teller put my card in the card reader, withdrew the funds and deposited them in my Thai bank account. Zero charges by either bank and got the Mastercard exchange rate, which seems to be the same as TT. Not found a better exchange rate.

 

This month used SWIFT transfer, got a really poor exchange rate, was charged i.r.o. 500 baht by my UK bank and 200 baht by my Thai bank. Did the calculations and found that this method would cost me an extra 12k baht/ year. Will try TransferWise next month in the hope that it can reduce my costs.

Whilst the HCC is one of the best cards you can use overseas, it still isn't free.

Although no ATM or withdrawal charges, cash withdraws still incur interest rates, even when repaid in full.

 

Don't take my word, check it out on: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

 

How much does your card charge?

Find how much you pay to use your card abroad

Please choose either a credit or debit card:
Credit Card
Debit Card
Select your cardAmerican ExpressAqua ClassicAqua Reward or AdvanceAsdaBank of IrelandBank of ScotlandBarclaycardBarclaycard Platinum TravelCapital OneCapital One Aspire World (June-Sep 2013 only)Capital One Classic Extra (from June 2013 to Aug 2014 only)Clydesdale/Yorkshire BankCo-op BankCo-op Bank ClearCreation EverydayDebenhamsFirst DirectHalifaxHalifax ClarityHalifax Student CreditHouse of FraserHSBCHSBC PremierJohn Lewis PartnershipLloydsLloyds AviosMarks & Spencer BankMBNAMBNA Everyday PlusMetro BankMintNationwide (post Feb 2011)Nationwide Cash RewardNationwide ClassicNationwide Gold (pre Feb 2011)Nationwide SelectNatWestPost Office PlatinumRBSSagaSainsbury'sSainsbury's GoldSantanderSantander 123Santander ZeroSmileTesco BankThe AAThomas CookTSBUlster NIVanquisVirgin AtlanticVirgin MoneyYorkshire Bank
or
see full list
Show overseas fees

Your Results

Halifax Clarity - Credit Card

This is a top overseas spending card

One of the best cards for spending overseas - well done! You get perfect exchange rates. It's far cheaper to spend on the card than withdraw cash.
EXCHANGE LOAD ATM CHARGE SPENDING CHARGE CASH WITHDRAWAL INTEREST
0% None none 18.9% - 25.95%
(even if repaid in full)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...