BANGKOK 22 April 2019 01:04

With air quality in BKK becoming hazardous I was thinking of escaping to KS.  Then I saw an article on Samui Times saying the air there is very bad now because of Indonesian fires.  But although the dateline was today I'm not sure if it's current news.  Any info on current air quality on the island much appreciated! (and if you know about Surat Thani too please advise).  

No problems. 

Last time we were affected by Indonesian fires was six, seven years ago, even then I didn't notice. 

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Any info on current air quality on the island much appreciated!

Fine air quality, as usual on the islands. I don't think anybody cares to measure it, at least not anything we ever hear about.

As @PoorSucker said, we hardly have any problems, but the Indonesian fires a few years back, where the wind made smoke heading in our direction, we had a few days with not that clear vision over the sea for two or three days only; an extremely rare situation. You wouldn't have noticed it, if you didn't stay by the seaside.

It would have made news.

No a trace about the Indonesian or other remote wildfires affecting the south this year.

If you want to see wildfires come up here to see burning sugarcane.

Red sky in the night.

The actually is a "haze map" I used durting the Indonesian fires a few years back, it's calle "Regional Haze Situation" (also a link).

6 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

No problems. 

Last time we were affected by Indonesian fires was six, seven years ago, even then I didn't notice. 

October 2015 haze from Borneo and Sumatra so bad Airport briefly closed. Mostly good air on Samui except for trash fires

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It would have made news.

No a trace about the Indonesian or other remote wildfires affecting the south this year.

If you want to see wildfires come up here to see burning sugarcane.

Red sky in the night.

Where do you mean by “here”? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, islandguy said:

Mostly good air on Samui except for trash fires

Are there places on the island that suffer more or less with those fires, or is it all over?  If I'm choosing where to stay there, can you suggest the best place for air?

Ignore the 'flippant' comments re trash fires. Many Thais burn their trash so that they do not have to pay the garbage tax. Most houses will have a small fire at some time or other during the year.

For the best air - just stay away from the garbage dump in the south of the island.

Pretty much everywhere else the air here is great. A nice breezy day today - no complaints. Well - it is a tad chilly.

12 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Where do you mean by “here”? 

See my avatar.

And it applies to most of the northeast/Isan but not limited to.

23 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

See my avatar.

And it applies to most of the northeast/Isan but not limited to.

Ah gotcha.  Yes I've been up north during this time of year and the smoke was pretty intense.  The trouble with finding clean air in Thailand (other than that there isn't very much anymore) is that the air quality reports are inadequate in many places, especially the south.  There are few monitoring stations and the ones that exist generally don't report the PM2.5 particles (the most dangerous ones) so they post deceptively "green" readings on the air quality websites.

Live from the beach, air quality, waves, no of tourists. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Live from the beach, air quality, waves, no of tourists. 

You picked a good day without the strong onshore wind but there is still weed in the water.

But Crystal Bay is one of the best beaches on the east coast.