For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

exp.jpg

File photo

A poll conducted by Thaivisa has shown that three quarters of people think expatriate life will be worse in five years than it is now. 

Only 24% held out hope that life for expats would actually improve by 2024. 

Facebook users were asked the simple question in the straw poll: Would it be better or worse for an expat to live in Thailand in five years? 

More than 340 had responded by press time. 

Comments online reflected growing unease about visa requirements and the strength of the baht in particular. 

One said: "Changes in the value of currency will make it worse, of course. Thailand is no longer value for money". 

Others chimed in with comments that despite official optimism word on the ground was that the Thai economy was going down the pan. They cited rising prices in the shops and lack of affordability as evidence.

Another pointed to confusion over the issuing of new visa requirements followed by an announcement of leniency. They felt the confusion would drive expats away and seek better options elsewhere to places where foreigners might know exactly where they stand.

One was even more pessimistic: "Five years? There won't be any expats here at this rate!"

Others were more positive about the future with one stating about Thailand: "It's only as good as you make it". 

Inevitably one of the people who seemed to see more optimism said: "If you're so unhappy why don't you just leave!" 

Results of the straw poll:

76% worse in five years

24% better

341 respondents.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-25

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're also going to move out....enough is enough.

Many Thai products cost more in BKK than in the West....in the supermarkets...if you like high quality products (like most westerners do) thailand is 2-5 times as expensive as the West....so it's a no brainer for me...leave!

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

Inevitably one of the people who seemed to see more optimism said: "If you're so unhappy why don't you just leave!" 

It's not that easy to "just leave" when you built a life with family, bought a house, a car etc, and have a fixed income. It has nothing to do with unhappiness, but many will be forced to leave due to the baht appreciation.

As a European, Thailand has now effectively lost its attractiveness to me, partly because it has become quite expensive (granted, mainly due to the downturn the Euro has taken), but also it has become hotter every year. Add to that the corruption and the difficulties concerning visa, the cost of proper health insurance plus the fact that we are effectively second-rate visitors with little freedom of enterprise.

Me and my family are leaving Thailand behind us and are off to southern Europe next month, with affordable healthcare, less corruption, better food, pleasant temperatures, lower cost of living than Thailand and all the freedom one could wish for as a European citizen.

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

One was even more pessimistic: "Five years? There won't be any expats here at this rate!"

Of course there will but only the one's who really like it here. Not the one's who came because they thought it was cheap and the perception of wall-to-wall pussy.

22 minutes ago, dyertribe said:

I'm seriously looking at Cambodia as an option for my retirement where, up until now, it has always been Thailand.

Went there last week, everything was incredibly cheap (compared to Thailand).

I'd be gone if I didn't have children in Thailand.

For me it's not a question of leaving, but rather never arriving. Haven't made up my mind yet if to live in my safe home country or here with family. I'm not in a hurry to decide, but not moving means I won't buy a house here ('for my wife'), I won't invest in a new car here, keeping financials outside the Thai economyu. I keep my house and condos in my home country, and looking at the stability of Thailand, and how the law 'protects' us, better leave it at that. If you move to Thailand, in my opinion, you should always have a backup plan to be able to leave without losing much..

I think life may be better for me in Thailand once they throw out the low life sexpats. Our reputation will no longer be dragged down by their actions. But in general, I don' believe in long term change in this country, rather Vietnam, Myanmar, all other countries are going to overtake Thailand which will just remain the same same. More soap operas on tv, more corruption to rule the lemmings.

Leaving is not really an option for me.  I'm 70, married over 10 years, with adopted 34 year old son who is an excellent, and loved, school teacher, along with a niece who is more like a daughter, and in her final year of law school at Mae Fah Luang, with a 3.7 GPA.  Our house, in a quiet moo b an, which is worth 3.2 mil, will be paid off in 2 more months, leaving only car payments and other normal expenses. And my income, currently, is over 130k a month.  I only have a younger brother back in the States, and nothing really to go back to.  

For me, I'm here for the duration, and have no problem with that.

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Of course there will but only the one's who really like it here. Not the one's who came because they thought it was cheap and the perception of wall-to-wall pussy.

The usual ghormless response...accusatory.abusive and bereft of any form of intelligence whatsoever.Your day (and those like you) is done.

It is good to get away from the slithy toves..

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Where ya goin.. Bullie

Portugal, close to Coimbra. Nice freestanding house, 1500 m2 land with fruit trees, vines, some timber and private spring for a little less than 38,000 Euro's. Landtaxes less than 100 Euro's per year, cost of living 20 % lower than Thailand. Pleasant climate, 1 hours drive to the ocean. Excellent seafood and vegetables I am not scared of eating. (I am very careful in Thailand due to the pesticides and poison).

Thailand can't beat that.

My mrs knows we would be off to Vietnam in the blink of an eye if I could sell my property but in this so called booming economy it's going to take 5-10 years for that to happen.3 years ago I sold a house in the uk privately in 10 minutes to the first person I mentioned it to for 4x the price I paid for it.i will be lucky to recover 75% of this one in 8 years from now.

7 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

My mrs knows we would be off to Vietnam in the blink of an eye if I could sell my property but in this so called booming economy it's going to take 5-10 years for that to happen.3 years ago I sold a house in the uk privately in 10 minutes to the first person I mentioned it to for 4x the price I paid for it.i will be lucky to recover 75% of this one in 8 years from now.

We have just lowered our price yet again...

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The usual ghormless response...accusatory.abusive and bereft of any form of intelligence whatsoever.Your day (and those like you) is done.

It is good to get away from the slithy toves..

Where is the accusation, abuse in stating fact?

Those like them, such as myself, will continue to enjoy many more days yet.

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

21 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

I can't do it.

I just can't let go of Soi 6. 

Way to much debauched fun for an afternoon.

Carry on Thailand, i'm staying. :jap:

you and me. the last two farangs on Soi 6.:clap2:

You start on one end of the soi and I will start on the other end and I will meet you in the middle for a 600 baht beer. :cheesy:

Archived