City hall: Pattaya’s air not as bad as it looks

Rimmer

City hall: Pattaya’s air not as bad as it looks

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s air is not as unhealthy as it has looked.

That was the message city officials were trying to get out Jan. 17 after blue skies disappeared under a blanket of white haze. Clear skies had returned by that date.

While the pollution looked like the dangerous cloud that has hung over Bangkok and surrounding provinces for weeks, it didn’t contain the same quantity of microscopic dust that has created hazardous health conditions in the capital, Deputy Mayor Poramet Ngampichet said.

Particulate matter 2.5 microns in size or smaller is dangerous because the human-respiratory system (and most masks) cannot filter the dust before it reaches the lungs. A level of more than 50 micrograms a cubic meter is considered hazardous.

Pattaya actually has been unable to measure air quality for years, despite having a truck outfitted with meteorological instruments. The problem? There’s no one employed in city hall that knows how to use it.

Environment Department chief Sutee Tubnonghee said Pattaya spent 10 million baht in 2005 for the vehicle but never maintained it. In 2012, the employee assigned to it was transferred to another department.

Sutee said the equipment now has been repaired, but there’s no one that knows how to run it. And even if there was, the technology is obsolete.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/city-hall-pattayas-air-not-as-bad-as-it-looks-243005

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-01-25

During my early morning stroll alo g Jomtien seafront just this morning I counted 11 buses, all empty, parked with engines on, presumably so that the a/c would keep the interior cool. Some of those were there spewing out their fumes formore than an hour. I suspect around Patts this figure would have been multiplied several times. 

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Pattaya actually has been unable to measure air quality for years, despite having a truck outfitted with meteorological instruments. The problem? There’s no one employed in city hall that knows how to use it.

Well there's a Homer Simpson moment!

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Environment Department chief Sutee Tubnonghee said Pattaya spent 10 million baht in 2005 for the vehicle but never maintained it. In 2012, the employee assigned to it was transferred to another department.

:cheesy:

An honest plain text from a Thai official?

Is he still in his post?

The picture is "stunning".

Air quality measurement vehicle on a junk yard :cheesy::cheesy:

my wife walked in to kanchanaburi orbator today and asked why the hills are on fire every year. They said its natural!! <deleted>!!! My wife showed them her pm2.5 meter. It was 175 in there aircon luxury. 270 outside and 350 at my house. My wife knows the forestry head here and he said its locals lighting fires to cover up logging, make it easier for logging in the future and its near impossible to stop these morons. A fire truck would be a start?

The orbator said they had tried to stop the black snow sugarcane burning but are unsuccessful. Well, der cuz they are incompotent. ALL the sugarcane around my house is not farmed by local people either. Other pricks come in and destroy our land. 

The above causes are the main causes. Its not from myanmar, cambodia or any such rubbish its from the farms that gets mixed up with the already over the top factory and diesel, etc pollution making this problem. Thais have NO IDEA!! My sons school was 250 this morning and 220 yesterday. 

If i was priminister i would line up and shoot every official and police officer not doing there job which is in turn killing the public therefore they are murders. eye for an eye....

11 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

The orbator said they had tried to stop the black snow sugarcane burning but are unsuccessful.

If the central government would be competent and interested it would be that easy:

Two or three inspectors at every sugar factory (not that many).

Truck with burned sugar cane comes in: either refuse or 10000 Baht deduction/fine.

But I bet they get the thumbs down from the sugar tsar: don't disturb our business.
Or the inspectors will quickly have a nice villa and a big limo.

The city is unable to meassure pollution but let us know its all fine as always everything that is woreser then you can imagine is fine for the authorities!

The whole communication to the people living in this country is a ly! Thats all what the government can do!

And nothing! is done to change something as nobody want to change anything!

5 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Sutee said the equipment now has been repaired, but there’s no one that knows how to run it. And even if there was, the technology is obsolete.

Yep everyday when I open the back door to the patio there is lots of black ash lying around, leaving fresh laundry out to dry in the sun risks getting black ash all over it.

I won't even bother asking the rhetorical question as to why they repaired an obsolete piece of equipment and also failed or forgot to have someone trained in its operation ? Backhanders anyone ??

Had a similar experience in that rather expensive hospital on the Suhkamvit Rd (spl) had a nice shiny expensive piece of equipment needed for a diagnosis of a problem I had, guess what, they had no one trained to operate it, seems to be a trait over here.

8 hours ago, Rimmer said:

So, it really cost a million and someone pocketed the change

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yep everyday when I open the back door to the patio there is lots of black ash lying around, leaving fresh laundry out to dry in the sun risks getting black ash all over it.

I won't even bother asking the rhetorical question as to why they repaired an obsolete piece of equipment and also failed or forgot to have someone trained in its operation ? Backhanders anyone ??

Had a similar experience in that rather expensive hospital on the Suhkamvit Rd (spl) had a nice shiny expensive piece of equipment needed for a diagnosis of a problem I had, guess what, they had no one trained to operate it, seems to be a trait over here.

Yes sir... Image , optics and noise...

On 1/25/2019 at 3:15 PM, unamazedloso said:

my wife walked in to kanchanaburi orbator today and asked why the hills are on fire every year. They said its natural!! <deleted>!!! My wife showed them her pm2.5 meter. It was 175 in there aircon luxury. 270 outside and 350 at my house. My wife knows the forestry head here and he said its locals lighting fires to cover up logging, make it easier for logging in the future and its near impossible to stop these morons. A fire truck would be a start?

The orbator said they had tried to stop the black snow sugarcane burning but are unsuccessful. Well, der cuz they are incompotent. ALL the sugarcane around my house is not farmed by local people either. Other pricks come in and destroy our land. 

The above causes are the main causes. Its not from myanmar, cambodia or any such rubbish its from the farms that gets mixed up with the already over the top factory and diesel, etc pollution making this problem. Thais have NO IDEA!! My sons school was 250 this morning and 220 yesterday. 

If i was priminister i would line up and shoot every official and police officer not doing there job which is in turn killing the public therefore they are murders. eye for an eye....

There are also a lot of Official cover ups concerning the burning of toxic waste from Commercial Enterprises.

I was in Pattaya just yesterday, and the smell of burning PVC from electrical wiring was pungent in the air.

Living about 20 Km from Pattaya, and in the Countryside, I witness the dumping and burning of large amounts of waste that is considered to be of toxic nature by so called " Companies" that are waste recycle business,s.

This issue has been bought before the Local Administration Office by myself, and numerous other residents of the Village, and nothing is done to prevent either the dumping or burning.

Now, I photograph the perp,s and tell them that if I see them in my my location again, I will take the photos to the Local Admin Office, and they will be prosecuted and fined 2,000 Baht.

This approach seems to be working for me, and the burning at least has drastically reduced.

However, I must point out that I am  6Ft 5 In and am about 115 Kg, so if you take this course of action also take a friend or two with you

IMG_20190127_174415.thumb.jpg.fb848c2dc218ddea98c043910e43c61e.jpg

This is just one out of 11 fire's here in jomtien area today 

yesterday we call and police come after 20 min in sukumwit soi 68 but they could do nothing because it was dark 

Every day and night we inhale very toxic air 

We have enough now 

Are there any body who want to help with organize a wake up call to Pattaya City Hall 

P. S. My wife ask the same on Thai social media 

You welcome to answer in inbox 

There are also a lot of Official cover ups concerning the burning of toxic waste from Commercial Enterprises.
I was in Pattaya just yesterday, and the smell of burning PVC from electrical wiring was pungent in the air.
Living about 20 Km from Pattaya, and in the Countryside, I witness the dumping and burning of large amounts of waste that is considered to be of toxic nature by so called " Companies" that are waste recycle business,s.
This issue has been bought before the Local Administration Office by myself, and numerous other residents of the Village, and nothing is done to prevent either the dumping or burning.
Now, I photograph the perp,s and tell them that if I see them in my my location again, I will take the photos to the Local Admin Office, and they will be prosecuted and fined 2,000 Baht.
This approach seems to be working for me, and the burning at least has drastically reduced.
However, I must point out that I am  6Ft 5 In and am about 115 Kg, so if you take this course of action also take a friend or two with you
Problem is a sharp machete dont understand height n weight. Bullets even more so.
Be very careful, not worth losing your life over and you won't be the first and most definitely NOT the last.

My neighbours regularly burn trash, the police have been to see them but it doesn't seem to deter, also farmers are always burning stuff. Better than my old place where some spare land behind was often dumped on and fires often set including tyres!

Archived