Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 February 2019 01:21
AllanB

CRF250 specialist wanted.

Recommended Posts

Finally got a chance to compare my 2018 CRF 250 with another bike.

 

Took the bike to a local Honda dealership to have a chat with yet another mechanic and like all the others they had nothing to say. While I was there I saw a oldish CBR250 in for service, so I asked if I could ride it. I easily pulled away on little over tickover without any problem and it was smooth from there up to around 4500rpm, a rev range my CRF hates.

 

So there is an issue with the engine and I need someone to look at it. I am in KhonKaen where no one is interested, the small bike dealers know nothing and yesterday I went to Honda Big Wing and they say they won't touch bikes under 500cc. The reason I went in there was that I saw they were selling the CRF250, so I said, "you sell the CRF250R" to which they replied it is an imported bike, so another dead loss.

 

I can put the bike on the back of my truck and head to another town, anyone have any ideas of who could look at it and fix it?

 

Cheers

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Finally got a chance to compare my 2018 CRF 250 with another bike.

 

20 minutes ago, AllanB said:

a oldish CBR250 in

Sorry Allan,

 you need to compare your bike with another STOCK 2017-18 CRF250L, not an older CBR250.

Apples & oranges and all that.

Let alone frames, forks, s/arm lengths, engine mounts, balance factors, throttle body sizes, cams, internal & external gearing, ergonomics, wheel & tyre sizes, and a hundred other things.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you know its a problem with the engine and not the clutch?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taninthai said:

How do you know its a problem with the engine and not the clutch?

Or an engine mount not torqued to spec?

Or nothing wrong until he tries an IDENTICAL model CRF.

5 hours ago, AllanB said:

oldish CBR250

I also forgot to mention in comparing or incomparable

# nearly new CRF

# "oldish" CBR

thousands of kms difference in mileage, a run in loose motor and a tight new motor.

Amongst a hundred different things.

As i said, apples & oranges cannot be compared.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't understand OP my 2018/2019 upgrade CRF250L is fine it's 250 single cylinder ohv Honda engine not a CBR1000.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't understand OP my 2018/2019 upgrade CRF250L is fine it's 250 single cylinder ohv Honda engine not a CBR1000.

Exactly even my Cbr600rr in the U.K. can be a bit sluggish of the mark if you let the revs drop to low.

i don’t know what op was expecting from this bike but it sounds like there is nothing wrong with his bike ,op seems obsessed with the Rev counter and torque.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The engines in the CRF and CBR are very similar. They should feel the same. More vibration from the CRF dual-sport tires and softer suspension are the main riding differences. OP has experience of many different bike styles. Honda is 250cc , 4 valve liquid cooled , fuel injected DOHC. OP says it requires more revs / clutch slip to pull away , and is rough / vibrates up to 5,000 RPM. This is compared to a 200cc , air cooled 2 valve carb overhead valve Lifan. Honda quality might be below par nowadays , but to say the Lifan is better in some ways !!!. I still think there is a problem with this specific bike / engine. Valve clearances , valve timing or a spun bearing. Needs checking by a competent mechanic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Or an engine mount not torqued to spec?

Or nothing wrong until he tries an IDENTICAL model CRF.

I also forgot to mention in comparing or incomparable

# nearly new CRF

# "oldish" CBR

thousands of kms difference in mileage, a run in loose motor and a tight new motor.

Amongst a hundred different things.

As i said, apples & oranges cannot be compared.

 

On 1/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Or an engine mount not torqued to spec?

Or nothing wrong until he tries an IDENTICAL model CRF.

I also forgot to mention in comparing or incomparable

# nearly new CRF

# "oldish" CBR

thousands of kms difference in mileage, a run in loose motor and a tight new motor.

Amongst a hundred different things.

As i said, apples & oranges cannot be compared.

I hear what you say, but I rode a CBR250 with similar km and age a few years back and this CBR was just the same, I owned a Lifan GY200 and that also pulled away on a little more than tickover again with a few thousand km on the clock. This engine has a fault, the engine is "rough" by any standards, it doesn't lack power at high rpm, it is just rough. Apart from a vibrating number plate, the bike is otherwise fault free, g/b, clutch all fine.

 

It could be a manufacturing fault with the engine balance, or even fuel/air mixture, if I could compare it with a similar bike I would.

 

Seems Thailand is not the place to by an inbetween bike, no one is interested at any of the Honda dealers.

 

A dyno test might help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The moral of this story to me is with the exception of a small bike, don't buy anything new in Thailand. We all know know the value of warranties in LOS, SFA, but unable to get the supplier to even look is pretty shit service. They sell these bikes here in about 10 different shops and no one has a mechanic who knows anything about them, not a bloody thing. "Have you tried 95 gasahol?"

 

At least with a secondhand bike you get to try it out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the bike is 2nd-hand now.

Endever to persevere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AllanB said:

The moral of this story to me is with the exception of a small bike, don't buy anything new in Thailand. We all know know the value of warranties in LOS, SFA, but unable to get the supplier to even look is pretty shit service. They sell these bikes here in about 10 different shops and no one has a mechanic who knows anything about them, not a bloody thing. "Have you tried 95 gasahol?"

 

At least with a secondhand bike you get to try it out.

 

I thought in previous posts you mentioned the problems to several mechanics and they all said bike seems fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the mechanics are in denial/wrong,

or Allan is.

What's needed is a competent / English-speaking CRF mechanic.

Right.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 4:24 AM, ktm jeff said:

More vibration from the CRF dual-sport tires and softer suspension are the main riding differences. OP has experience of many different bike styles. Honda is 250cc , 4 valve liquid cooled , fuel injected DOHC. OP says it requires more revs / clutch slip to pull away , and is rough / vibrates up to 5,000 RPM. This is compared to a 200cc , air cooled 2 valve carb overhead valve Lifan. Honda quality might be below par nowadays , but to say the Lifan is better in some ways !!!. I still think there is a problem with this specific bike / engine. Valve clearances , valve timing or a spun bearing. Needs checking by a competent mechanic.

 

i did 30.000 kilometers during 12 months on Honda Rally 2018 from south to north and Isan province.

everything is ok 100%  

changed tires every 14.000 kilometers 

Oil and oil filter every 5000 kilometers

air filter every 10.000

chain at 21.000

 

i change IRC by Mitas MC24... i really like the new silence :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, a competent mechanic with some knowledge of the CRF250 and the ability to repair the fault. My beef is not with the bike, all other aspects are fine, fit and finish, g/box, wheels, tyres, electrics, it is the Thai system of "buy it and sod off"....with a smile.

 

When i first bought the bike, I thought I wouldn't have to wait long for the fault to get worst, even blow the engine, but after 3600km it hasn't, in fact it has improved slightly, helped mainly by fitting the 13t front sprocket.

 

In the year or so I have had it I have looked at other bikes to swap it for, but can't find anything that does what it does for me. It may be something as simple as fuelling, but I have zero knowledge of setting up PI systems.

 

Edited by AllanB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AllanB said:

When i first bought the bike, I thought I wouldn't have to wait long for the fault to get worst, even blow the engine, but after 3600km it hasn't, in fact it has improved slightly, helped mainly by fitting the 13t front sprocket.

How do you know that they are not all like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...