Renew expired driving license...procedure/time to do?

cheeryble

Hi Im in CM and know the place on the Hang Dong Road took my test there.

I just hit 70 and my wife tells me my 5 yr DL has run out so i want to renew as a priority.

In order to plan and fit it into a day as well as possible can anyone tell me how long I'll have to be there, does it require a return trip etc.

Presume no more testing?

Thanks!

I got mine ahead of time....Took 2-3 hours including the film....

Sign some forms, take a colorblind test, watch about a half hour movie - then wait to have the picture taken.....Then another wait to get called to collect the new card......

Just now, pgrahmm said:

I got mine ahead of time....Took 2-3 hours including the film....

Sign some forms, take a colorblind test, watch about a half hour movie - then wait to have the picture taken.....Then another wait to get called to collect the new card......

Thx for the fantastic quick reply as I'm thinking of going this afternoon

So that sounds like the same stuff I had to do to get a license......colourblind test/cartoon movie etc.

But my license has been renewed before and if I'm not mistaken Ive onlyy done the "Test" stuff once which would have been the first time i presume/

Sure I have to do that stuff again??

Thanks again sorry to double check basically if i have to do all that ill be out of luck till later next week

40 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Thx for the fantastic quick reply as I'm thinking of going this afternoon

So that sounds like the same stuff I had to do to get a license......colourblind test/cartoon movie etc.

But my license has been renewed before and if I'm not mistaken Ive onlyy done the "Test" stuff once which would have been the first time i presume/

Sure I have to do that stuff again??

Thanks again sorry to double check basically if i have to do all that ill be out of luck till later next week

I did not need to take a test....

Somebody said it's OK up to a year after; but I went early.....

Don't forget that you need a residence certificate or some other acceptable documentation......

59 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

My understanding - if you let it expire you need to start at the bottom. Test on computer, yada yada yada ...

Unless the rules have changed recently, I was told it's not a problem unless it's expired over two years (mine was expired over a year and I was able to renew it in CM with just paperwork and a color-blindness test in 2017).

16 minutes ago, flare said:

Unless the rules have changed recently, I was told it's not a problem unless it's expired over two years (mine was expired over a year and I was able to renew it in CM with just paperwork and a color-blindness test in 2017).

no damn cartoon film? sounds better 

think I'll drop by

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

My understanding - if you let it expire you need to start at the bottom. Test on computer, yada yada yada ...

A miss understanding.

Up to 1 year expired, nothing extra (the same as any other renewal, including the film).

Over 1 and under 3 theory test.

Over 3 everything.

IMG_6499.thumb.PNG.0cb42865dba160f141dca9b761f34e1d.PNG

Expired by under 1 year should be straight forward, the usual documents, health cert (maybe - best to take) Blue book, passport etc. fill in forms pay money phot, new license. Bank on a couple of hours.

More than 3 years = Start from scratch, the whole 9 yards, videos, computer tests everything, expect 1 full day and probably back again the next for a half day. PITA

It used to be that you had to wait until your licence had expired before they would renew.  Either way, you have a year to renew.  It usually expires on your birthday so wait until it's expired, renew after your birthday and you'll get 5 years from your NEXT birthday giving you almost 6 years.

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Luck? They were in a good mood?

They were sure busy, but, whatever happened, I'm not complaining.  I was in and out in about two hours, with the bulk of that waiting for my number to be called- the actual color-blindness test took less than a minute, and the actual printing of the licenses (car and bike) was pretty fast as well.

I had expected the expired licenses to be a big deal, and it was basically not an issue at all.

When I renewed my 2 years to 5 years a few months ago, I didn't have to do any tests except for the color-blindness vision test. I also didn't have to watch any videos.

So I am confused why people here said they have to.

That said, what's the point of videos when most Thai people ignore traffic rules?

When I renewed my 2 years to 5 years a few months ago, I didn't have to do any tests except for the color-blindness vision test. I also didn't have to watch any videos.

So I am confused why people here said they have to.

That said, what's the point of videos when most Thai people ignore traffic rules?

You are confused because everyone does not have the same experience renewing their license?

You want consistency, you are in the wrong place but that has been clear for a while.

Thankyou all for the many personal experiences which come if not to a conclusive answer to a likely range of possibilities none of which are the end of the world, and very nice to know the expiry for a little while is ok.

Most kind of you all.

Sometimewoodworker:

Thanks for the guidelines uploaded.

Presumably I can just pick up an application form at the office as I don’t have a printer.....but do you know if it’s possible to bring up online? (Yes I’ll have a quick search)

Secondly it speaks of proof of address......letter from consulate or immigration now this could add a level of pain to the procedure, however I’m pretty sure my highly efficient missus has a yellow book for me. The form doesn’t mention this.

Anyone used it to prove address?

Again many thanks to all this when TV works best

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Denim said:

A couple of posters have mentioned the colorblind test. What did that consist of and is it the same everywhere ?

It looks like a big psychedelic  multi colored splotch on the wall.....Somebody stands there with a pointer & points to the different spots of color within it & you identify which color from about 20-25' away.....

I thought I blew it because the end of the pointer is small & blends into the chart making is hard to see exactly where the pointer ends, but I passed.....

That's not the test I took- they had a traffic light, and I had to say 'green, yellow, red'- all I would really have needed to know was that red is on top, yellow is in the middle, and green is on the bottom- I could be seeing the world in black-and-white and would have passed that test.;)

Don't forget you need a medical certificate as well.

That's not the test I took- they had a traffic light, and I had to say 'green, yellow, red'- all I would really have needed to know was that red is on top, yellow is in the middle, and green is on the bottom- I could be seeing the world in black-and-white and would have passed that test.;)  

Hmmm Flare thanks for the reminder but haven’t others said I don’t need?

Found my yellow tabien bahn and still interested if I can use that to avoid immigration (believe consulate won’t verify addresses and/or they’re damned expensive)

ps as a possibly important side issue I said to my wife that without getting my new license my insurance probably ain’t valid. She said authoritatively, and repeated under interrogation, that it was still ok......if true it would take away any hurry.....but sounds odd to me

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, flare said:

For 5 yr to 5 yr extension a medical is NOT required.

For 2 yr (temporary) to 5 yr extension it IS required.

(from own experience and to the rules published on the net)

13 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Found my yellow tabien bahn and still interested if I can use that to avoid immigration

I can't give a definitive answer.

At my last two visits to our upcountry office it worked.

From report in Pattaya: not accepted.

It doesn't hurt to take your wife with you with her house book and ID.

Archived