Renew expired driving license...procedure/time to do?

cheeryble

4 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Thankyou all for the many personal experiences which come if not to a conclusive answer to a likely range of possibilities none of which are the end of the world, and very nice to know the expiry for a little while is ok.

Most kind of you all.

Sometimewoodworker:

Thanks for the guidelines uploaded.

Presumably I can just pick up an application form at the office as I don’t have a printer.....but do you know if it’s possible to bring up online? (Yes I’ll have a quick search)

Secondly it speaks of proof of address......letter from consulate or immigration now this could add a level of pain to the procedure, however I’m pretty sure my highly efficient missus has a yellow book for me. The form doesn’t mention this.

Anyone used it to prove address?

Again many thanks to all this when TV works best

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I've heard the yellow book (Foreigner House Registration - tabian bahn) is sometimes accepted as proof of address by some Land Transport Offices.  Others, for example, Phuket do not accept a yellow book and insist on the immigration office issued residency certificate or a certificate of residence from your embassy.

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Hmmm Flare thanks for the reminder but haven’t others said I don’t need?

Found my yellow tabien bahn and still interested if I can use that to avoid immigration (believe consulate won’t verify addresses and/or they’re damned expensive)

ps as a possibly important side issue I said to my wife that without getting my new license my insurance probably ain’t valid. She said authoritatively, and repeated under interrogation, that it was still ok......if true it would take away any hurry.....but sounds odd to me

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Your wife may say that your insurance is valid, however it is the insurance company who are the only ones whose opinion matters.

in a minor accident with little damage or cost there is a possibility that you may be able to claim. However if you have an accident where there are tens or hundreds of millions involved would you want to bet that the insurance company will pay? If so then I have a nice bridge I can sell you. ????

I do do not know, but think, that no valid licence means no insurance.

If my licence has expired I will certainly not be driving until I have renewed it.

As to the address proof some offices accept a yellow book, others do not. You will have to ask the office you want to use.

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

When I renewed my 2 years to 5 years a few months ago, I didn't have to do any tests except for the color-blindness vision test. I also didn't have to watch any videos.

So I am confused why people here said they have to.

That said, what's the point of videos when most Thai people ignore traffic rules?

Some/most/almost all have to watch the video. Like you I didn't need to and the renewal process took about 15 minutes. This is not usual.

Hmmm Flare thanks for the reminder but haven’t others said I don’t need?
Found my yellow tabien bahn and still interested if I can use that to avoid immigration (believe consulate won’t verify addresses and/or they’re damned expensive)

ps as a possibly important side issue I said to my wife that without getting my new license my insurance probably ain’t valid. She said authoritatively, and repeated under interrogation, that it was still ok......if true it would take away any hurry.....but sounds odd to me

Always used my yellow book, no problem.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, moe666 said:

Did my renewal a few months ago and a Dr. certificate was needed

It was needed at my 5 year re-up also.....October 2018....

The new form from the Dr. is more comprehensive than the last time around....Somewhere I read that it was compulsory....

Was not needed at my 5yr renewal last October 2018. 
Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I also renewed my 5yr license at the CM office last year and no medical certificate was required. At the time I was a little confused because I'd been told yes by some people and no by others.
So, about a week before I was due to go I popped into the DLT office, went upstairs and asked the receptionist. She gave me a piece of paper with various DL requirements listed and circled the ones that were applicable for a 5yr renewal. A medical certificate was not amongst the circled items.

To the OP, the DLT office requests that you dress respectfully (it was written on the paper I was given) so I wouldn't recommend turning up in shorts. It is a official government facility after all.

Udon. Renew 2 year temporary to 5 year. Health certificate,Color test,peripheral vision which once you figure out what their asking is not difficult.  I’m not sure where I read it but 2 year to 5 years requires more paperwork than renewing 5 to 5.

my first license had to watch a movie which I’m not kidding was a guy laying on the ground under a tree dreaming of a driver license tree.... guess that idea came from the money tree. I was what???

Hopefully we hear back from the OP's experience once he goes to have his renewed....

Sure you'll hear back if I could just find the time to get down to the office :) which I will HAVE to do now as the missus has bought us a new car worth serious money and gotta make sure I’m insured properly.

Well I actually made it to the office at 10am guessing a session might start then.
I slapped down my old license, passport and yellow book at information.
Although the guy standing behind me said I need a health certicate I was pointed to go to the relevant desk is the photocopy desk.
They accepted everything including my signed copies, then gave me back my pasport and yellow book and a number card.
She said come back at 1.15. Quick and efficient.
1.15 we all did the colour test then the braking speed test. All quick.
Than in to see the movie.
Finished that, was given another number. Wait a little to play 505 baht then take a photo and get license in two minutes.
Finished 15.08
Easy and efficient.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived