Rawai locals protest against high Dengue rates in southern Phuket

snoop1130

Rawai locals protest against high Dengue rates in southern Phuket

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2019-01-25-at-12.37.31.jpg

VIDEO: Nicholas Spaethe

Rawai and Nai Harn locals in southern Phuket, along with the Rawai Or Bor Tor Mayor Aaron Solos, protested this morning about the rise in Dengue Fever cases in the area.

They say they are concerned about the high rates of contracting the virus in the south of the island and are calling on the provincial government to pay more attention to preventative resources, including spraying and educating locals to maintain the areas around their house to remove the breeding grounds for mosquitos.

In 2018 there were two deaths from Dengue in Phuket – one in Rassada and one in Mai Khao.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/rawai-locals-protest-against-high-dengue-rates-in-southern-phuket

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-25

Agree with ARITHAI12.... why isn't the mayor carrying out his own a campaign of spraying etc. in Rawai. Simple reason is there's no money in it for him.  A fogging machine can be purchased for approx. 800 - 1000 $.  Most people aren't aware but you can go to the govt. office down on Rawai beach road and ask for the free packs (like tea bags) of mosquito larvae killer that you can place in still water to prevent the mossies breeding. The tea bags are good for a month or 2+.  I live in Rawai and have had Dengue now twice since living there.     

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 5.00.45 am.png

3 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Agree with ARITHAI12.... why isn't the mayor carrying out his own a campaign of spraying etc. in Rawai. Simple reason is there's no money in it for him.  A fogging machine can be purchased for approx. 800 - 1000 $.  Most people aren't aware but you can go to the govt. office down on Rawai beach road and ask for the free packs (like tea bags) of mosquito larvae killer that you can place in still water to prevent the mossies breeding. The tea bags are good for a month or 2+.  I live in Rawai and have had Dengue now twice since living there.     

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 5.00.45 am.png

Spending to much on new road signs and road markings to worry about that, look along Saiyuan 

Lately, near our place in Chalong, there have been numerous cases among the locals of Chikungunya (or dengue, not sure which).

They sprayed several properties to the east of us earlier in the week, and yesterday a worker encampment to the west.

Both times the winds were blowing towards us and we got a face full of the huge chemical clouds they produce. 

Add to this the visit yesterday from the people vaccinating animals against rabies, and I'm starting to think our idyllic, little semi-rural valley near the hills is more toxic than Chernobyl! 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Lately, near our place in Chalong, there have been numerous cases among the locals of Chikungunya (or dengue, not sure which).

They sprayed several properties to the east of us earlier in the week, and yesterday a worker encampment to the west.

Both times the winds were blowing towards us and we got a face full of the huge chemical clouds they produce. 

Add to this the visit yesterday from the people vaccinating animals against rabies, and I'm starting to think our idyllic, little semi-rural valley near the hills is more toxic than Chernobyl! 

Bangkok would be better..........?

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Bangkok would be better..........?

Unlike the Capital, the toxic clouds here dissipated in a few minutes, and hopefully there are now less mossies around.

Our dogs have now been re-vaccinated for free without us leaving the premises. 

Every cloud has a silver lining.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Unlike the Capital, the toxic clouds here dissipated in a few minutes, and hopefully there are now less mossies around.

Our dogs have now been re-vaccinated for free without us leaving the premises. 

Every cloud has a silver lining.

My neighbour came down with dengue or chickenunya fairly recently, and had his garden sprayed a few days ago.  They sprayed 'low down', which presumably stopped most of the spray being directed towards my house?  I certainly didn't smell or notice it.

I suspect he was bitten by a mossie whilst 'out and about', rather than whilst at home, as I've lived in this house for more than 11 years now - without suffering dengue etc. - even though there are many mossies about....

Touch wood/fingers crossed that I haven't hexed myself by saying this!

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

My neighbour came down with dengue or chickenunya fairly recently, and had his garden sprayed a few days ago.  They sprayed 'low down', which presumably stopped most of the spray being directed towards my house?  I certainly didn't smell or notice it.

A neighbor sprays regularly and if the wind is coming our way we get the fumes, but these commercial sprayers don't create big clouds of the poison. It is generally contained to the property being treated.

However, with the local Tesseban doing it, I initially thought there was a fire taking hold. They produced clouds that encompassed the whole valley and had locals fleeing from the area.

Archived