Big Joke arrests corrupt Thai immigration officers issuing fake stamps to foreigners

rooster59

Big Joke arrests corrupt Thai immigration officers issuing fake stamps to foreigners

1548404154729-960x0.jpg
Image: TNA

Immigration chief Lt Gen Surachate Hakparn has started arresting his own men for being involved in corruption and bribe taking.

The chief - known as Big Joke -  said there are more arrests to follow. 

Yesterday he started tidying up a gang of immigration officers at Don Muang immigration who were working with a gang to issue fake entry and exit stamps to foreigners. 

Three policemen have now been charged. 

They are two senior sergeant majors - Withayakorn Sarajan, 39 and Theparit Yorsaeng, 47 - and a police corporal, Supachai Simasing, 31. 

The arrest of the three cops on warrants came after a group of five foreigners were caught on January 9th with illegal entry and exit stamps.

Also arrested on warrants yesterday were Victor Adeola, 34 from Nigeria and Wichet Thaweekayujan, 39 and Somsak Bin Hareem, 44. 

Adeola found clients for the bent cops while Wichet and Somsak posted the illegally stamped passports. 

Lt Gen Surachate told the media that as the inquiry widens there will be more arrests.

The police have been charged with dereliction of duty and accepting or encouraging others to accept bribes. 

Sen Sgt Maj Withayakorn also faces another charge that was not specified in the TNA report.

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-26

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Immigration chief Lt Gen Surachate Hakparn has started arresting his own men for being involved in corruption and bribe taking.

OK. I am probably one of the most critical people on this forum of Thais and Thailand. But, FINALLY, I am going to say that I am pleasantly surprised. 

This is the type of determination that is largely missing from Thai culture: the will to go after your own clan when it breaks the rules. 

I very much respect this action if it is indeed accurate. Very impressive, and I hope he remains safe and free from the inevitable shouts of 

"Are you Thai?! You fight against Thai people?!" 

Thais like to invoke nationalism whenever they are backed into a corner like this. 

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Well finally Big Joke is doing something positive.

Just a word of warning though, there are many more in immigration who need rooted out.

This is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

One wonders where this sudden outbreak of honesty will end up. The army?

This guy had better be a bit careful not to go looking under the big rocks.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well finally Big Joke is doing something positive.

Just a word of warning though, there are many more in immigration who need rooted out.

This is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

Wait 'til he turns his beady eye on the visa agencies!

So long as it is all in front of the cameras I suspect it is just a token display to keep the press and a few easily convinced folk that something is being done. 

I am not convinced that this is the end of corruption in this area.

We all know who his boss is!

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Wait 'til he turns his beady eye on the visa agencies!

Long past time that was done, honest ex-pats have to keep 800.000 for retirement.

Wife did mine yesterday and they scrutinized every last little detail, even questioned the fact that 1 of my accounts only showed the total/ update from last october, never been questioned on that before.

Also IO came out to the pickup to take my photo, and even wanted a photo of my p++s bag, now that is bloody pathetic.

This man has always impressed me. I dont care if he is seeking media attention or if he has political ambitions. He is trying to weed out lowlifes of all nationalities, including Thais, and that suits me just fine.

Thailand needs a million more like him, in every government position.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Long past time that was done, honest ex-pats have to keep 800.000 for retirement.

Wife did mine yesterday and they scrutinized every last little detail, even questioned the fact that 1 of my accounts only showed the total/ update from last october, never been questioned on that before.

Also IO came out to the pickup to take my photo, and even wanted a photo of my p++s bag, now that is bloody pathetic.

Perhaps that's just his fetish? You could be in there.

4 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Do please elaborate, Colin. That's like showing a sexy trailer when there might not even be a movie.

Elaborate, ok 1 example 7 years ago went into MHS immigration, officer refused to do my 90 day unless 5.000 baht was offered, i walked out ( could still walk then) drove 102 ks to Mai siriang, went in and back out in 5 minutes job done.

As i was registered at Khonkaen immigration, MHS said if i didnt pay up, i had to go back and do it in Khonkaen.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Elaborate, ok 1 example 7 years ago went into MHS immigration, officer refused to do my 90 day unless 5.000 baht was offered, i walked out ( could still walk then) drove 102 ks to Mai siriang, went in and back out in 5 minutes job done.

As i was registered at Khonkaen immigration, MHS said if i didnt pay up, i had to go back and do it in Khonkaen.

Pretty damned sickening. You must have been well cheesed off.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Did you report them?

Just now, colinneil said:

No thought about it, discussed it with my wife and stupidly listened to her and did nothing.

I can understand that some people would be worried about possible recriminations/vengeance.

If Thais were properly disciplined for misconduct (ie sacked on the spot) there would be less to worry about. Sadly on most occasions they just get a smacked wrist and are left to carry on exactly as before.

20 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

So long as it is all in front of the cameras I suspect it is just a token display to keep the press and a few easily convinced folk that something is being done. 

I am not convinced that this is the end of corruption in this area.

We all know who his boss is!

I'm also hesitant to believe any displays, especially from Thais, who are masters of disguise. However, in the past, we would not even read that someone had turned on their own clan in such a way. Maybe it's small progress... 

Archived