Brit who put ganja in his Tom Yum arrested on overstay in Samui

rooster59

On 1/26/2019 at 12:59 PM, sweatalot said:

arrested for six day overstay?

Makes me fear

Why so, the rules and regulations on this are very well known, many posts about this every week on TV.

If you overstay expect the consequences. Overstay in 99% of countries is serious and not surprising. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

on a 6 day overstay?

I thought you were OK with two weeks.

From immigration. 

From 20th March 2016, if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years. If you have overstayed by more than one year, you will face a ban of ten years.

8 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

From immigration. 

From 20th March 2016, if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years. If you have overstayed by more than one year, you will face a ban of ten years.

Yes, I read that, but there also appeared to be some wiggle room in the comments section.

2 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Always a good idea to convince the immigration officer, but, but, but, I read this on Thaivisa. ????

The comments were on the immigration website, under the notice you posted.

So I'd be saying ..... but, but I read this on your immigration website.

image.png.3198531ea2b5d6f66b95aeb7e5f12f46.png

Can re-entering occur other than after departure date?

There does seem to be some room for maneuver here - note it states if "arrested and prosecuted" so it is conceivable one could be arrested for overstay but with the correct, ahem incentives, one could have the arrest magically turn into "this person gave themselves in". In that case up to 90 days would be no ban.

Of course you will be threatened to shut up, so who knows...

On 2/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, he may have fled the scene of an accident and separately, threatened to kill someone...

But around here as an expat, it's the 6 days overstay that puts you in jail!  :ph34r:

Could it be they saw his extension was about to expire so they let him go easily on the other charges? Knowing he was in no condition to deal with immigration?

It seems very possible his pee test would have been a bit more psychedelic than just a little thc yum goon... ????

If they wanted a sure way to get rid of him this is perfect.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:13 PM, PoorSucker said:

From immigration. 

It would be very harsh if you had a problem and then had a one day overstay and be banned for 5 years. Incredible, amazing Thailand..........

• 4 months later...

Archived