43 foreign Phuket tourists saved after speedboat capsizes on way to Koh Phi Phi

rooster59

35 minutes ago, dpeti73 said:

All these speed boats are old piece of shit wondering not happening daily 

Got that right. 

Talked into taking a boat trip from hell out to those islands a few months ago. 

Seen better-equipped bum boats in W. Africa than 90% of the junk plying out of Ao Nang. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m always uneasy if not scared to take any of these regular boats/speed boats which I found it even more frightening 

Most of these boats are driven by kids having fun speeding up on the waters being completely reckless and needless to say couldn’t care less of his passengers ! You’re literally endangering your own life each time you jump on one of these crappy beaten up boats, mind you even if they’ve fairly new boats the danger still persists since they’ve got no sense of reaponsabilty either any training ! You’re in arm’s way ????

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

No Chinese on board all other foreigners knew how to swim to safety.... no casualties, great news !!!!

I could here TAT from miles away, "Please Lord Buddha - No Chinese casualties please, please please!"

I personally have had no problems with speedboats- usually privately hired and only four people going to Samet.

This does not look like a particularly large boat. Would be interesting to know the nationality of the tourists , you would perhaps think one of them would say NO - this is far too many on a speedboat, 

Sadly yet again it done to pure greed , one boat instead of two or three. 

32 minutes ago, thequietman said:

43 people on a speed boat! Surely that can't be right.

These boats aren't built for those numbers surely! are they?

Confused.

What is there to be confused about, TIT - just ensure when loading the boat there is no waste space, no seats, what's the problem, you have legs so stand up. 

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

43 people on a speed boat! Surely that can't be right.

These boats aren't built for those numbers surely! are they?

Confused.

probably depends upon from where they are built?

Image result for bangladesh speedboat overloaded

Boating safety is atrocious in Thailand. What I would always carry on speedboats and other boats was an empty water bottle with cap. I figured if the boat was going down, one empty water bottle down my pants would provide just enough emergency buoyancy to keep me afloat until rescue.

6 hours ago, Ramdas said:

I’m always uneasy if not scared to take any of these regular boats/speed boats which I found it even more frightening 

Most of these boats are driven by kids having fun speeding up on the waters being completely reckless and needless to say couldn’t care less of his passengers ! You’re literally endangering your own life each time you jump on one of these crappy beaten up boats, mind you even if they’ve fairly new boats the danger still persists since they’ve got no sense of reaponsabilty either any training ! You’re in arm’s way ????

Does the "captain/crew have Marine Board certification??

Or am looking at this through western eyes??

I always have my jacket on, valuables in (passport/credit cards etc, phone)waterproof pack, just in case. The boats and crew scare the hell out of me

Archived