Taxi driver arrested again for allegedly stealing Rolex watch from drunk passenger

rooster59

Taxi driver arrested again for allegedly stealing Rolex watch from drunk passenger

By The Nation

562000000926601.JPEG

A taxi driver who has an electronic monitoring device strapped on his ankle from a previous theft charge, has been arrested again for allegedly stealing a Rolex watch from a drunk passenger, police said on Saturday.

Pol Maj Gen Mongkol Warunno, commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 5, said Anon Lachai, 34, was arrested late Thursday night for allegedly stealing a Rolex watch worth Bt250,000 from a passenger at 2am on January 12.

Anon's friend, Suphan Saengra, was also arrested later for keeping the watch for him to sell later.

Anon was arrested after the passenger filed a complaint with Thonglor police that his Rolex watch had been stolen after he took a taxi home on January 12.

The passenger told police that he took the taxi from the front of Soi Ekkamai 7 to return home in Nonthaburi. The passenger noticed that the taxi did not have a meter and there was no name tag of the driver inside so he took a picture of the inside of the taxi.

He said the driver demanded Bt120 to take him home. He said he was drunk and fell asleep and later realised that his watch was missing.

Mongkol said police used the photo taken by the passenger to identify the taxi driven by Anon.

Anon admitted that he stole the watch after the passenger fell asleep because he was drunk. Anon said when he arrived at in front of in front of a shopping mall on Tiwanon road in Nonthaburi, he woke the passenger and told him to leave before he sped off.

Mongkol said Anon had been arrested on August 16 last year for allegedly stealing from a drunk passenger. He has been released on bail pending a court trial. When he was arrested he had an electronic monitoring device strapped to his ankle.

A police record showed that he had also been arrested in 2015 and convicted of theft.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362974

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-26

One hopes that this time they will put the bloke in jail where he clearly belongs. I mean, how many chances do you need to be given? On bail for theft already, so stunned that he was allowed to still be driving a taxi, and his miserable excuse for theft this time? Because the passenger was asleep and drunk. What sort of mind thinks that is any justification? Not running a meter or showing ID either. Unbelievable.

wait...wait.... a couple days ago TAT was posting picture after picture of the HONEST taxi drivers returning a rollex worth 170,000 baht, some returning large amount of cash that foreigner forgot on the taxi.... was it Thailand or some other country, am all confused now

this must be the only circumstance, when I'd only wished that the accomplice had already on-shifted the stolen watch to recipients unknown!

why sound so cruel?

not really - for to no longer have the watch returnable, would have resulted a 10 year prison term!

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

NEWS FLASH.......  Taxi passenger reunited with a million baht , and diamond encrusted gold watch.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

heh heh  - Instant Popularity of said watch magically increases it's value to fourfold!

Amazing to have a chap with a surveillance bracelet, still allowed to drive a taxi, handle money, passengers......etc.... .....just as amazing to see people getting drunk and wearing a (genuine?) Rolex when on holiday in Thailand.....what an amazing world !...Carry on and entertain us please....

25 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

...amazing to see people getting drunk and wearing a (genuine?) Rolex when on holiday in Thailand.....what an amazing world !...Carry on and entertain us please....

Where did it state that someone on holiday was wearing a Rolex but even if the article had said that why should wearing a Rolex be odd?

I

32 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Yet Another reason i don't use taxis 

In my 50 years of taxi service in Bangkok (both legal and not) have never had more than a few baht extra payment due meter bumps a handful of times (less than normal tip is western countries and very infrequent).  And I have used taxis a lot and continue to do so.  Bangkok taxis are very inexpensive and easily available most places and most drivers are trying to make an honest living and as such I am happy to provide them a fare.  

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

One hopes that this time they will put the bloke in jail where he clearly belongs. I mean, how many chances do you need to be given? On bail for theft already, so stunned that he was allowed to still be driving a taxi, and his miserable excuse for theft this time? Because the passenger was asleep and drunk. What sort of mind thinks that is any justification? Not running a meter or showing ID either. Unbelievable.

No mention in the article if he actually had a valid DLT permit to be driving a taxi, meaning DLT hadn't already revoked it despite his prior criminal convictions, or whether he was just driving illegally without any license anyway.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

What problem do you have with legitimate taxis?  Have you ever been robbed by the driver of one?

Anyone who uses a taxi with no meter and no ID is asking for trouble.

They're not all thieves, crooks and scammers obviously but enough of them are for me to prefer to use my own vehicles

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sharia law will fix it, cut off the hand he uses to steal with.

12 hours ago, Bkkthebest said:

what's with Thai and rolex watches. There are so many much more luxury watches in the market but rolex seems to be in the Thais' mind.

Rolex are the world #1 by far 

For the same price there are better watches but people who are not into watches will not recognise them

On 1/26/2019 at 12:36 PM, darksidedog said:

No, we got it all wrong - he will go to court, and be granted bail - then they will put another monitoring device on his other leg to ensure he shows up for court.  See Thai Logic in its simpicity.

Archived