CRF250L 2019 again...

ad61

What did honda do to lower their latest crf models and how could i modify my front fork in order to be at the same height of pre 2017 models?

One can clearly see that my fork (first pict.) Is sitting much lower than the older model (second picture). Should i add more oil or maybe a longer spring?

Thanks for helping me.20190122_174804.jpeg20190122_180531.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2017 is the latest.

Spec here same as my 2018.

Seat Height 875mm

Ground Clearance 255mm

Kerb Weight 146kg

Turning radius 2.3m

SUSPENSION

Type Front 43mm Telescopic Upsidedown

Type Rear Prolink.

The only I did adjust Rear suspension to maximum rebound.

2017 is the latest.
Spec here same as my 2018.
Seat Height 875mm
Ground Clearance 255mm
Kerb Weight 146kg
Turning radius 2.3m
SUSPENSION
Type Front 43mm Telescopic Upsidedown
Type Rear Prolink.

The only I did adjust Rear suspension to maximum rebound.
Those specs must certainly be from honda EU or USA.
As you can see in the Thai brochure, seat height is at 830mm and ground clearance 211mm.They shaved 40mm for the Thai riders to be able to put their feets on the ground.
My question is how can i regain those 40mm; for the rear, i've found after market shock links enabling me to do it but what about the fork, how can i "extand" it.20190126_171949.jpeg

Use these parts from the 2013 - 2016 model.
 So for the front fork you need to change two parts (both are OEM parts used on the 2013-2016 model):
12: ROD 51426-KZZ-901
13: DAMPER, FR. 51430-KZZ-901
crf1.jpg.a1a9d403b4bfb4baf6665378608a4b91.jpg
Thanks a lot canthai55.
The parts on your picture are, i presume, the rods, old model on the left and new on the right what are the damper?
And how many do i need to order? One or two? I believe one side of the forks has the spring and the other side the oil; the rod and damper are only for the side with oil isn't?
Thanks again for enlightening me.

Apologies for earlier doubting that the Big Red could/would have an Asian version of a dual sport bike which should be, er, tall.

But that's corporate Big H for ya.

I just never have got the Love In that is the worldwide sales success of this thing.

Perhaps because it is CHEAP and has an H on the tank...

It has an engine based on a road motor.

The motor has a weird bottom end bearing set up.

It has cheapo non adjustable suspension.

I never understood why the KLX was never a bigger seller here or in Europe. An extra 25-30k TB gets you;

Excel wheel rims instead of DID

Fatter S/S spokes

FULLY adjustable suspension front and rear

An engine with a design pedigree going waaaay back and designed in partnership with Suzuki who's version was the DRZ400

Normal DOHC top end design

Normal bottom end design with normal main bearings

A very stout strong engine that has several known cases of going 250-300,000 kms without splitting the bottom end inc 300-330cc big bore conversions

No known problems inc, ahem,  cam chain tensioners

etc etc etc

Perhaps it is just me and my bias and lack of love for the Honda brand. I have never really liked their products, nor their politics, nor what they always stood for - not cool, middle of the road, your parents would like them, bland, safe nada yada da bing.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Exactly.

I rest my case.

Why do i never see a complaint on here about a KLX?

Let the good times roll...

You got that goddam right Team Green.

Edit, the helpful bit;

check out Bikerzbits website in Thailand. They have everything for the CRF inc stock parts at crazy cheap parts. You should be able to cross check different model/year parts from the drop down menu.

41 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Apologies for earlier doubting that the Big Red could/would have an Asian version of a dual sport bike which should be, er, tall.

I just never have got the Love In that is the worldwide sales success of this thing.

I never understood why the KLX was never a bigger seller here or in Europe. An extra 25-30k TB gets you;

Fatter S/S spokes

An engine with a design pedigree going waaaay back and designed in partnership with Suzuki who's version was the DRZ400

A very stout strong engine that has several known cases of going 250-300,000 kms without splitting the bottom end inc 300-330cc big bore conversions

etc etc etc

Perhaps it is just me and my bias and lack of love for the Honda brand. I have never really liked their products, nor their politics, nor what they always stood for - not cool, middle of the road, your parents would like them, bland, safe nada yada da bing.

Exactly.

I rest my case.

Edit, the helpful bit;

check out Bikerzbits website in Thailand. They have everything for the CRF inc stock parts at crazy cheap parts. You should be able to cross check different model/year parts from the drop down menu.

I think you should get one and put your demon thoughts about Honda behind you..????????????????......good seller probably because relatively cheap ,fun and easy to ride bike,,,,,coupled with Honda reliability..most off the time????

10 hours ago, taninthai said:

relatively cheap

easy to ride

with Honda reliability.

Yep, yep & yep.

Not disputing any of your points.

Can we add bland and why don't they offer a beige colour, ya know, the sort of colour your granny would knit a cardigan with....

image.png.6d10ee477a830cb5f2e0e7f78e139bef.png

15 hours ago, taninthai said:

Search this guy on Facebook advertises on Chiang Mai crf 250 group

If those are just spacers to make the damper rod longer, and they are made of aluminum, don't think I would trust them. The damper rods - stock - are steel.

34 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

image.png.6d10ee477a830cb5f2e0e7f78e139bef.png

If those are just spacers to make the damper rod longer, and they are made of aluminum, don't think I would trust them. The damper rods - stock - are steel.

Yeah I’m not sure what they are or where they are manufactured ,when I first see them a couple of months ago was thinking exactly the same..lol

13 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Fatter S/S spokes

etc etc etc

Exactly.

I rest my case.

Edit, the helpful bit;

I think it is as simple as "Honda (it must be good)" and "low price (wow!)" It was cheaper than the Kawa which had carbs FPS....Honda was the no brainer option for those (like me) who didn't look past the badge/price.

I had previously hired a KLX150 and apart from the fact it was too small for me and had been ragged, it was a nice ride. Took two of us all over the place including dirt...albeit a real squash/cosy....with my sister..ahhhhhg?

50 minutes ago, AllanB said:

It was cheaper than the Kawa which had carbs FPS...

Whats FPS?

The KLX 250 has had FI since it was sold here in 2009.

The American version (a cult bike over there) was sold with a carb until a couple of years ago, then discontinued and now re-introduced as a new FI model.

The same model that has been available here for years.

The new Camo version with black anodized forks and rims looks rather fetching.

FPS = for petes sake. Allan bought the wrong bike. Kawasaki has a quality , tried and tested / trusted design , adjustable suspension , light weight and far more capable than the Honda. Having said that , the crf isnt too bad. I still believe there is a specific fault with Allans  bike.

Was in a Kawa dealer yesterday.

The new Camo colour and all blacked out design looks really good. Extra 3k.

Another reason the KLX is 25-30k dearer than a CRF that i had not noticed before is the extra rad.

How much is a rad?

2 radiators instead of 1.

Along with

15 kgs lighter weight

proper Excel rims

heavy duty spokes

FULL adjustable suspension front & rear

oh and an 890mm seat height,

and a dealer that knows what they are doing regardless of compartmentalising cc.

???? innit.

Yes , the Kawasaki KLX is well worth a few extra quid ( i think its just 20K more ) . The Honda runs hot with just one rad , and "real hot" off road , if you risk the cheap wheels / suspension and poor quality leaky fork seals. I looked into fitting a second rad / fan , but with all the other poor cost saving measures i noticed on the bike , i didnt risk a purchase. 

15 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Yes , the Kawasaki KLX is well worth a few extra quid ( i think its just 20K more ) . The Honda runs hot with just one rad , and "real hot" off road , if you risk the cheap wheels / suspension and poor quality leaky fork seals. I looked into fitting a second rad / fan , but with all the other poor cost saving measures i noticed on the bike , i didnt risk a purchase. 

I forgot to mention....

# tyres front and rear were Dunlop D605's, not crappy IRC's or equivelants,

# the exhaust system, tip to tip is full stainless steel.

With all the stuff on it compared to the CRF it compares not only favourably but actually cheaper!

The ONLY advantage a CRF seems to have, is the huge bling/farkles aftermarket out there for it.

Or perhaps that market is so much larger because the KLX does'nt need most of it stock.....

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I forgot to mention....

# tyres front and rear were Dunlop D605's, not crappy IRC's or equivelants,

# the exhaust system, tip to tip is full stainless steel.

With all the stuff on it compared to the CRF it compares not only favourably but actually cheaper!

The ONLY advantage a CRF seems to have, is the huge bling/farkles aftermarket out there for it.

Or perhaps that market is so much larger because the KLX does'nt need most of it stock.....

Im running IRC,s at the moment - when in Rome. IRC,s , Quick , VEE and Mitas are all good local tires. Michelin AC 10,s are my road legal favourite. 50/50 dual sport tires are a compromise anyway. To bring a CRF up to KLX standard you would need to replace a lot more than the exhaust , wheels , tires and upgrade the cooling system - that gets so hot , it can melt the plastic fan , LOL. People can spend up to 50 K improving the Honda suspension. There are many after-market component up-grades for the KLX. Its just that they arent "needed" as much as you begin with a much better bike. Hardly anything to upgrade on a KTM  !!!.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:41 PM, ktm jeff said:

The Honda runs hot with just one rad , and "real hot" off road ,

Is Allamns bike running too hot?

Is there room for an extra fan? Maybe one could add a Sonic fan? Might be cheaper than a CRF fan? Just put a couple of tie wraps through the rad.

My NSR300 has a Sonic fan added but needs two in Bangkok traffic.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Many good CRF wrenches in my neck of the woods. Guys that race Motocross, compete in Enduros, run them up the mountains ...

Never seen anyone modify the cooling system, add extra fans, Nuttin'

Maybe it is the 250M guys in the lowland traffic.

I don't have one so don't have direct experience but there are kits to both add a fan or an extra radiator.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Mine was converted with 0 km. Never had knobbies on it.

Run the hiway, secondary asphalt, gravel, dirt (when dry)

Temps hi 30's, up hills, never a problem with overheating.

If rad clean, fins not bent, filled with clean coolant, good stat ...

Good to go

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I don't have one so don't have direct experience but there are kits to both add a fan or an extra radiator.

When i looked into buying one , there were no mods out for it then. If there are now kits with fans and with extra ( second ) radiators , there must be a need . It just didnt seem "right" to me to have only one rad. If a CRF  comes riding with us  , their electric fan is on - a lot. Happy coincidence - a friend from England has just posted me some photos taken over a decade ago , of him riding a Yamaha DT 125 R i sold him years earlier. That only had one rad , but with the temperatures being low when we rode , id wasnt much of a problem.  Summer was for the road bikes . In Chiang Mai , riding in dense woodland with little air flow , i feel a hard riden bike requires two rads. Could you not fit a LCD temp gauge just to be safe.  

Archived