Pros and Cons of "Marriage" Extension vs. "Retirement" Extension

Due to not being in Thailand during the renewal period for my retirement extension, I need to start over. I am married to a Thai citizen, and with the marriage certificate I easily got a new Non-Imm O visa at a consulate outside Thailand. Now before this visa expires, I need to go to Immigration to request an annual extension. I was told I could request a one year extension (with the new income requirements in order) either on the basis of Marriage, or as a Retirement extension. My question is, besides the amount of baht one needs to keep in the bank or for showing monthly depositis, what are the Pros and Cons of getting either the "Marriage" extension vs. the "Retirement" extension? Any thoughts on this? 

16 minutes ago, NavaJauvana said:

Are the 90 Day reporting requirements the same or different, for a "Marriage" extension vs. "Retirement" extension?

It is the same for every type of extension or a entry from a visa that allows a stay longer than 90 days.

• Like 1

Thank you, Ubonjoe. I have one more (probably my last) question.

If one gets a retirement extension this year, but next year he has less than 800K baht (but over 400K baht) in his bank account to meet the income requirement, is it easy to switch from the "retirement" extension to a "marriage" extension? Or does one need to start the process all over again with a new Non-Imm O visa?

33 minutes ago, NavaJauvana said:

If one gets a retirement extension this year, but next year he has less than 800K baht (but over 400K baht) in his bank account to meet the income requirement, is it easy to switch from the "retirement" extension to a "marriage" extension? Or does one need to start the process all over again with a new Non-Imm O visa?

Yes, it is easy to switch. You don't need a new Non 'O' visa.

• Like 1

Had several expats tell me retirement was simpler and easier...and they were still in line at 5am in Chiang Mai...Marriage for convenience or money is gaining popularity as the screws continue to tighten, so expect more hoops, scrutiny, and plain stupid questions and requirements.  They also seem to be more on the lookout for people using "good" offices for extensions, with no real residence in that province.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NavaJauvana said:

Are the 90 Day reporting requirements the same or different, for a "Marriage" extension vs. "Retirement" extension?

Yes same.  What I would like to know is the TM30 required for retirement and marriage extensions. In a current thread running a member stated that tm30 was now required for extension at CW. Note it sounded like his extension was based on marriage. Many others (myself included) where stating that they have NEVER been asked for tm30 over many years, including recent extensions. Their extensions based on retirement. So what's the go?

Edited by DrJack54
Error

19 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You need 2 visits to immigration for the marriage extension while you can do everything in one day for the retirement extension.

It takes about 20 minutes to do a retirement visa for most of us

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Marriage 

Pro - you can work (with a work permit)

Con - it's cancelled on death/divorce.

That's about it.

You forgot it's only 400,000. Bt Bank deposit for a marriage visa and 800,000 for retirement visa

I'm in my eighth year retired in Thailand. At first, I had a marriage visa. Six years ago, I submitted all the paperwork to extend it, wife by my side, all looked good. The IO told me to come back on a particular date more than a month away to get my extension. "No can do," I said. I had a plane ticket booked to be in the US on that date. IO was totally inflexible, said it had to be that one date, with a very smug, satisfied grin, as if she had won some sort of victory. Mrs. and I were incredulous, couldn't believe what we hearing, and no reason was given for the firm date. After we sat there confused for a couple of minutes, IO told us that she could give me a retirement extension right there on the spot. Marriage paperwork covers retirement paperwork and then some. With no other good choice, I took the retirement extension, which I have had ever since. To this day, I don't understand the IO's reaction, why a retirement extension is better from their perspective. So there's that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had a marriage visa extension for 2 years,then switched to retirement for 2 years .If I switch back will I have to go through the procedures again associated with the initial marriage extension (home visits etc) or is it dependent on the particular office?. I’m  Korat office.

24 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

I don't understand the IO's reaction, why a retirement extension is better from their perspective.

Probably because a retirement extension causes less work for her than a marriage one. Retirement extensions can be approved at local offices on the spot, whereas marriage ones need to be referred up the line to the bigwigs in Divisional HQ for final approval, hence the need to return to the local office after 30 days for the final stamp.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I had a marriage visa extension for 2 years,then switched to retirement for 2 years .If I switch back will I have to go through the procedures again associated with the initial marriage extension (home visits etc) or is it dependent on the particular office?. I’m  Korat office.

Changing to an extension based upon marriage might be the same as the first one dependent upon the office you do it at. I cannot say what Korat immigration would do.

29 minutes ago, ardsong said:

apart from the difference in bank deposits, and an extension based on marriage is indeed a lot more paper work and you have to visit twice, but most important is : the Immigration officer told me, that an extension based on retirement is far easier for the immigration officer.

Not to mention donations to the benevalent fund from agents.....need I say more?

• Like 2