Jump to content
BANGKOK
NavaJauvana

Pros and Cons of "Marriage" Extension vs. "Retirement" Extension

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Having done both, I can tell you the marriage visa is infinitely harder to get. The hoops they make you jump over are beyond ridiculous. My file is probably 125 pages. Just for an application. It is stupid. Seems they prefer the 800K, over the 400k. And each year it is the same. 10 photos of your home, inside and out. Maps to your home. A Thai witness who lives near your home accompanying you to immigration, to testify that you live there! Each year, it is another 100 pages or more, of data, images, statements, etc. It is the very definition of stupidity, xenophobia, arrogance, ignorance and hubris. And did I mention a waste of perfectly good stationary?

Exaggeration and misinformation to make a point always works!

 

The extra scrutiny for spouse extensions is because of all the fake marriages. Although most of the extra requirements prove very little and are a waste of stationary, the rest of your claims are just stupid, xenophobic, arrogant, ignorant and hubris.

 

IO's prefer to process an application based on retirement whenever they can for the very reason that it's less paperwork!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I had a marriage visa extension for 2 years,then switched to retirement for 2 years .If I switch back will I have to go through the procedures again associated with the initial marriage extension (home visits etc) or is it dependent on the particular office?. I’m  Korat office.

You'll need to ask them. Usually they only make home visits for the first extension made at their office. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This policy varies by office - depending on the local head-honcho's attitudes on mixed-marriages and/or desire for agent-money.

 

They sure treated my Thai wife like one.  Thank goodness 99% of Thais don't have those views.

I don't understand how Immigration honchos could benefit in the agent-money scheme from the neighbor witness requirement?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I don't understand how Immigration honchos could benefit in the agent-money scheme from the neighbor witness requirement?

Because if you use an agent, they don't ask for it.

All the difficulties are to force you to use an agent.

 

Pay an agent 25k up in CM, and they don't even care about seeing money in the bank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ubonjoe ,what would you suggest to use for a reason on the  transfer form to fund a marriage visa? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, riclag said:

Ubonjoe ,what would you suggest to use for a reason on the  transfer form to fund a marriage visa? 

I don't think you would need to show the reason for the transfer when you apply for an extension. I am not sure it shows the reason for the transfer when it is received

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Because if you use an agent, they don't ask for it.

All the difficulties are to force you to use an agent.

 

Pay an agent 25k up in CM, and they don't even care about seeing money in the bank.

No they are not. They are to satisfy the bosses that the application meets the set criteria. It's basically beuracratic arse covering. My local office do not insist on agents for anything and yet they apply most of the rules/regs/laws. 

 

IO's forcing people to use agents is entirely different and would apply regardless of the rules/regs/laws.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, riclag said:

Ubonjoe ,what would you suggest to use for a reason on the  transfer form to fund a marriage visa? 

If you have less than 800K in the bank or an income of less than 65K pm and are requesting a spouse extension they aren't likely to ask any questions.

 

If you have more than 800K/65K and over 50 they might push hard to process the application based on retirement, and unless you're planning to work you might as well go the retirement route.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

A difficult question to answer as reports of CW insisting on a TM.30 are relatively new. It could be that they only require it if another form of proof of address isn't available.

True. The chap that mentioned "tm30 IS required at CW" seemed not applying for extension based on retirement as he mentioned consideration period. If any members can relate that for their extionsion based on retirement they were required to show a tm30 at CW, then that would rock a few boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrJack54 said:

True. The chap that mentioned "tm30 IS required at CW" seemed not applying for extension based on retirement as he mentioned consideration period. If any members can relate that for their extionsion based on retirement they were required to show a tm30 at CW, then that would rock a few boats.

A TM.30 is only required when the foreigner first arrives at a property. Unfortunately immigration have been using it as a form of proof of address for extensions of stay, even in some cases when a TM.30 is already on file. Most retirees no that POA is required. In the past because the spouse has to attend when applying her confirmation that the foreigner lived at the address given was good enough. So I think it comes down to proof of address rather than complying with alien reporting which is the purpose of the TM.30. Time will tell.

 

A simple proof of address form for all would fix all the confusion rather than using the TM.30.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, riclag said:

Ubonjoe ,what would you suggest to use for a reason on the  transfer form to fund a marriage visa? 

If you a talking what reason to put on the money transfer form like doing a SWIFT transfer, sometimes you are offered some reasons to select from like Living Expenses, etc., and/or you enter a brief description of your own making like Fund Marriage Visa Income Requirement, 1 year living expenses, etc.   That description is really for the "banking/law enforcement/treasury authorities" in the sending and receiving countries in case they are get suspicious about the transfer.  And those officials would only be notified if the sending or receiving bank thought the transfer was suspicious.   It's not for immigration authorities or anyone else

 

And they are not going to be suspicious over a Bt400K (approx $12.5K USD)  or Bt800K (approx $25K USD) unless maybe you are on their watch list already because you "be a bad guy."

Edited by Pib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pib said:

If you a talking what reason to put on the money transfer form like doing a SWIFT transfer, sometimes you are offered some reasons to select from like Living Expenses, etc., and/or you enter a brief description of your own making like Fund Marriage Visa Income Requirement, 1 year living expenses, etc.   That description is really for the "banking/law enforcement/treasury authorities" in the sending and receiving countries in case they are get suspicious about the transfer.  And those officials would only be notified if the sending bank thought the transfer was suspicious.   It's not for immigration authorities or anyone else

 

And they are not going to be suspicious over a Bt400K (approx $12.5K USD)  or Bt800K (approx $25K USD) unless maybe you are on their watch list already because you "be a bad guy."

Thanks Pib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Exaggeration and misinformation to make a point always works!

 

The extra scrutiny for spouse extensions is because of all the fake marriages. Although most of the extra requirements prove very little and are a waste of stationary, the rest of your claims are just stupid, xenophobic, arrogant, ignorant and hubris.

 

IO's prefer to process an application based on retirement whenever they can for the very reason that it's less paperwork!

Where are all the fake-marriages?  Was there a report? 

I cannot think of a good reason any scammer would use that method to stay here.  Scenarios:

  • Over 50 - retirement is easier w or w/o agent
  • Under 50 and working or volunteer - can get a Non-B (working) or Non-O (volunteer)
  • Under 50 and not working - can get ED or serial Tourist Visas with no "money in the bank" needed (20K Baht in the bank + 20K Baht cash for Tourist)
  • Under 50 and faking-marriage - Pay an Agent ~25K baht, and most requirements go away.  Add payment for the woman you might see once a year for an updated Kor Ror 2, which I'd bet isn't cheap.
  • Under 50 and real-marriage - Show up in-person and honestly apply, and go through hell

 

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

I don't understand how Immigration honchos could benefit in the agent-money scheme from the neighbor witness requirement?

You don't need the money, witness, landlord-docs, if you use an agent.  The "unpublished requirements" vanish, and some of the actual "real" requirements are skipped in exchange for the agent's brown-envelope.

 

35 minutes ago, elviajero said:
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Because if you use an agent, they don't ask for it.

All the difficulties are to force you to use an agent.

 

Pay an agent 25k up in CM, and they don't even care about seeing money in the bank.

No they are not. They are to satisfy the bosses that the application meets the set criteria. It's basically beuracratic arse covering. My local office do not insist on agents for anything and yet they apply most of the rules/regs/laws.  

 

IO's forcing people to use agents is entirely different and would apply regardless of the rules/regs/laws.

The requirements the higher-ups are demanding suddenly "go away" when using an agent, so we can assume they are in on the agent-money, so make these crazy requirements to force us to agents, to increase that revenue. 

 

Agent-money is also shared at the office-level, so they have their own incentive to make things impossible w/o the agent.  Maybe some honest offices don't participate - so pay in paperwork-hell.

 

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

True. The chap that mentioned "tm30 IS required at CW" seemed not applying for extension based on retirement as he mentioned consideration period. If any members can relate that for their extionsion based on retirement they were required to show a tm30 at CW, then that would rock a few boats.

Yes, they save many little gems just for marriage-based applications (unless using an agent - no TM-30 needed).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JackThompson said:
2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Exaggeration and misinformation to make a point always works!

 

The extra scrutiny for spouse extensions is because of all the fake marriages. Although most of the extra requirements prove very little and are a waste of stationary, the rest of your claims are just stupid, xenophobic, arrogant, ignorant and hubris.

 

IO's prefer to process an application based on retirement whenever they can for the very reason that it's less paperwork!

Where are all the fake-marriages?  Was there a report? 

Fake marriages have been going on in every country for ever. Thailand is not an exception. Here's a report from Dec 2018.  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30359828

 

"Police, in the ongoing crackdown on foreigners living unlawfully in the Kingdom, have arrested 10 Indian men and 24 Thai women on suspicion of involvement in a scam whereby fake marriages and false documents were used to extend the men’s stay in Thailand, the Immigration Police Bureau announced on Tuesday."

 

The TIB have publicly commented on the problem in the past, and it is the reason why offices have to provide the extra evidence that the marriage - at least appears - real, and it's put under consideration. The office provide the evidence so that a higher up can sign it off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:
1 hour ago, elviajero said:
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Because if you use an agent, they don't ask for it.

All the difficulties are to force you to use an agent.

 

Pay an agent 25k up in CM, and they don't even care about seeing money in the bank.

No they are not. They are to satisfy the bosses that the application meets the set criteria. It's basically beuracratic arse covering. My local office do not insist on agents for anything and yet they apply most of the rules/regs/laws.  

 

IO's forcing people to use agents is entirely different and would apply regardless of the rules/regs/laws.

The requirements the higher-ups are demanding suddenly "go away" when using an agent, so we can assume they are in on the agent-money, so make these crazy requirements to force us to agents, to increase that revenue. 

 

Agent-money is also shared at the office-level, so they have their own incentive to make things impossible w/o the agent.  Maybe some honest offices don't participate - so pay in paperwork-hell.

Maybe, but that's due to corruption. The rules were not made by the higher ups to promote the use of agents or corruption. The corrupt IO's/agents use the system to their advantage. And not all agent applications are fraudulent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...