Pros and Cons of "Marriage" Extension vs. "Retirement" Extension

7 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

The reason the agent system can bypass the requirements otherwise mandated for extension of stay by retirement or marriage is a loophole in Section 35 of the Immigration Act (1979).

Not sure I see the loophole for agents.

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Not sure I see the loophole for agents.

Per the Immigration Act 2522:

Rate of fees, working fees, and other expenses

(3) Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom under Section 35, per person, each time 2,000 baht

The loophole is that agents are charging you more and it ain't for postage & handling.

The only advantage of a marriage extension is:

a) Does not have to be 50-years to apply for an marriage extension

b) Can get a work permit. 

The disadvantage

Lots of lots of ridiculous paper work. 

Wife can pull the plug if she desires.  

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Lots of lots of ridiculous paper work. 

Have you ever done one?

I am my 11th one and have not experienced that.

30 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Wife can pull the plug if she desires.  

How?

Only getting divorced can end your extension. Or if you wife will not go with you to apply for the extension.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

When I married my Thai woman, I went for a Marriage Visa.
The Marriage Visa was fine for me until immigration used to interview my wife separatelly and my wife started to declare that I didn't gave her enough money to feed her family upcountry.
That was the moment i decide to chose for a Retirement Visa.

They never do anything when i tell them my wife doesnt give me enough money , she earns more than me ,selling property .not fair .

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you ever done one?

I am my 11th one and have not experienced that.

We should all be so fortunate as to live in Ubon, and the other friendly-office locations. 

I'm worried about testing the waters where I live now, where I've read zero reports (prefer not to say where - not many farangs here).  In a brief discussion when doing a TM-30, I mentioned my embassy-letter, and the IO started talking about "Well, if you have a state-pension...", but mine is from overseas businesses.  I thought, "Here we go, again, from a different angle of attack this time."  I just smiled politely, left, and continued using my Non-O-ME Visa.

I don't want to open a hornet's nest, so as long as the Visa gets the job done, I'm sticking with it.  But if I lived in Ubon, or some of the other locations with a track-record of "no problem" reports, I would be less concerned and switch. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am married to a thai lady and we live in the states (last 11 years) but would like to buy a house in Thailand and spend about half the year in Thailand. We were not married in Thailand so what would be the best option for me? I am presuming if I wanted to get a Non-O we would have to go to Thailand and get married there and then start the process. I wouldn't need a work permit. 

5 hours ago, rowley said:

I am married to a thai lady and we live in the states (last 11 years) but would like to buy a house in Thailand and spend about half the year in Thailand. We were not married in Thailand so what would be the best option for me? I am presuming if I wanted to get a Non-O we would have to go to Thailand and get married there and then start the process. I wouldn't need a work permit. 

How about getting a Non-Imm OA in the US?

13 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

I was on a Thai marriage visa for 10 years, I then changed to a retirement visa through an agency for the past 4 years. What do I need to do to get a Thai marriage visa again. Thanks.

Do what you did before. The terms for the marriage extension have not changed. You could also carry on using an agent. (Presuming you are still married to the same lady).

7 hours ago, rowley said:

You can use your US marriage certificate to a apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at a embassy or consulate.

To apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration you would have to register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires.

1 hour ago, Mason45 said:

I was on a Thai marriage visa for 10 years, I then changed to a retirement visa through an agency for the past 4 years. What do I need to do to get a Thai marriage visa again. Thanks.

In theory, because you are presently on a Non-Imm type of extension, you should only need to specify living with your Thai wife as the reason on your TM-7 form to justify the extension. 

But, be prepared to explain why you want to go back to using marriage, and (at some offices), for them to try anything and everything to avoid processing the extension.

• Like 1

My experience, as I have used both in my tenure living in Thailand, the Non O Marriage is a better option. Our paperwork to initially acquire the marriage visa was not difficult but took some effort. Now its a cake walk. Also I have worked and I can do that with the marriage visa and extension (Yes with a work permit for all you TV WP police. ????)

One thing that affects everyone (and their subsequent opinions about it) is where they live. Some immigration offices are far more efficient and have less people waiting while others are terribly slow and lots of folks in queue. Honestly my choice might be weighted on that. Of course with the new financial requirements for the retirement Visa one needs to determine how much a retirement versus a marriage Visa is to them. I know many that are married and were using the retirement for their own personal reasons. I suspect many will change to a marriage. Might as well. If something happens you can always switch back to the retirement if something doesn't work out. 

Marriage:

Pros:

• Less financial outlay and management
  • Can work with a work permit 
  • Paperwork easy and fast once established.

Cons

• For some that means being married
  • I bit of paperwork initially to get set up

Retirement

Pros:

• Less paperwork

Cons:

• Subject to ongoing changes now and in the future
  • Can't work (Of course retired means they don't want to or cannot work anymore)
  • Latest financial requirements makes it hard to exit if one wants to or has been told to as moving money out of Thailand is difficult. 

51 minutes ago, JAFO said:

One thing that affects everyone (and their subsequent opinions about it) is where they live. Some immigration offices are far more efficient and have less people waiting while others are terribly slow and lots of folks in queue. 

The other factor is whether the personnel at a particular office are willing to do the extension easily (with all the published-requirements met), or want to make things difficult to avoid doing it (sans-agent).  Hurdles that vary by office and circumstances may include: Bringing witnesses every year, Landlord-docs that vary from difficult to impossible to get (if you rent), and Changing the picture-formats to ensure needing at least 2 visits (wife possibly taking time off work for each) to get it done. 

You may also need to make an annual amphoe-visit for an updated KR-2, though this verifies your marriage is still valid, so is at least a sane thing to request.

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The other factor is whether the personnel at a particular office are willing to do the extension easily (with all the published-requirements met), or want to make things difficult to avoid doing it (sans-agent).  Hurdles that vary by office and circumstances may include: Bringing witnesses every year, Landlord-docs that vary from difficult to impossible to get (if you rent), and Changing the picture-formats to ensure needing at least 2 visits (wife possibly taking time off work for each) to get it done. 

You may also need to make an annual amphoe-visit for an updated KR-2, though this verifies your marriage is still valid, so is at least a sane thing to request.

I agree. Ones decision will be based on their location. Where I live its been quite easy and user friendly. Everything is on the up and up. 

One challenge I have always witnessed here in Thailand is consistency when a change has occurred. This goes for Thai folks as well. The document gets released however the interpretation and enforcement is left to the Amphur immigration or other agency and this will always lead to issues for all. Plus sadly of course there are numerous immigration officers who exploit it and demand payment money (both from Thais and foreigners). One thing foreigners need to get a grip on here is that foreigners are not the only ones that have issues with rules and law changes. Thais get caught in changes as well. Its all part of an evolving country. Laws and ordinances usually affect many people. 

• Like 1