Nighttime annoyance: "It's only natural for dogs to bark", head of TSPCA

Nighttime annoyance: "It's only natural for dogs to bark", head of TSPCA

dog.JPG

Image: Daily News

The problem of dogs barking - especially at night and annoying neighbors - has become one of the "dramas" of the week on Thai social media, reported Daily News. 

Now a row has broken out between a lawyer and the head of the TSPCA.

A top lawyer - who was not named in the story - suggested that owners who caused annoyance by letting their dogs bark could be jailed for a month and fined 10,000 baht. 

But Dr Sathit Pratchayaariyakul, the secretary of the Thai Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said this was not true. 

An owner could only face jail if they failed to comply with measures after a complaint was made. 

Ultimately though an owner who allowed animals to cause annoyance could face three months inside or 25,000 baht in fines. 

The correct procedure in the event of annoyance was to report the matter for action first to state officials who would then warn and ask the owner to take action to rectify the problem. 

"It's only natural for dogs to bark," said Dr Sathit. "All dogs do".

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-26

Dogs only bark during the night (as far as I know) - if they are disturbed about something they hear or see?  Otherwise, like us, they mostly sleep during the night.

One of my dogs (I can only assume) has taken it has her duty to 'protect us', and barks aggressively  whenever somebody comes close to our house - and I appreciate this.  Both my dogs stay inside the bedroom with me during the night.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Dogs only bark during the night (as far as I know) - if they are disturbed about something they hear or see?  Otherwise, like us, they mostly sleep during the night.

One of my dogs (I can only assume) has taken it has her duty to 'protect us', and barks whenever somebody comes close to our house - and I appreciate this.  Both my dogs stay inside the bedroom with me during the night.

Agree with you

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

One of my dogs (I can only assume) has taken it has her duty to 'protect us', and barks aggressively  whenever somebody comes close to our house - and I appreciate this.  Both my dogs stay inside the bedroom with me during the night.

Same at my house.  You can hear a person walk down the soi late at night.  Dogs start barking at the head of the soi and bark while in front of each property.  My dog takes her turn and hands off to the two Thai dogs in the next house. 

18 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Both my dogs one 5 yo one 6 months will bark on people approaching the house ,or something seems not right to them, their senses are heightened at night, sometimes cows coming too close to our wall  in the field behind and opposite can trigger it

but for certain i can rest sure day or night i would know about visitors, welcome or not, way before they get to my gate

But its the dogs job thats why they get spoilt rotten

19 minutes ago, poohy said:

Both my dogs one 5 yo one 6 months will bark on people approaching the house ,or something seems not right to them, their senses are heightened at night, sometimes cows coming too close to our wall  in the field behind and opposite can trigger it

but for certain i can rest sure day or night i would know about visitors, welcome or not, way before they get to my gate

Lucky you.  During the day when I take a nap, both of my dogs come with me and fall fast asleep with me!

On more than one occasion I've found out that someone came round during my 'nap time' for one reason or another - and neither of my dogs noticed!????

But I do agree otherwise with your post.

Edit - I think it's because she knows I'm more 'defenseless' at night?

The other excuse is our dogs are no worse than all the others. Most Thais leave their dogs all alone outside all day while they are at work, they get stressed and bored so they bark, they often still bark in the night as some are kept in cages. We complained to a neighbour about her barking dog, one of 15 around our house, and she said it would be ok as she was getting a cage to put it in!. cage arrived just about big enough for it to stand up in, outside all day now it's going slowly mad and barks more than ever.

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

The other excuse is our dogs are no worse than all the others. Most Thais leave their dogs all alone outside all day while they are at work, they get stressed and bored so they bark, they often still bark in the night as some are kept in cages. We complained to a neighbour about her barking dog, one of 15 around our house, and she said it would be ok as she was getting a cage to put it in!. cage arrived just about big enough for it to stand up in, outside all day now it's going slowly mad and barks more than ever.

Fair enough point as I was once unfortunate enough to live next door to a Western neighbour that treated his dogs in a similar way.....

One of the good points about my ex/late husband that was he as ready as myself to get angry at the bad treatment of animals - and told the neighbour in no uncertain terms (seeing him actually beating one of his chained, and never walked, dogs for barking....) that he would report him to the authorities if he ever saw him doing this again.

49 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Lucky you.  During the day when I take a nap, both of my dogs come with me and fall fast asleep with me!

On more than one occasion I've found out that someone came round during my 'nap time' for one reason or another - and neither of my dogs noticed!????

But I do agree otherwise with your post.

Edit - I think it's because she knows I'm more 'defenseless' at night?

I must add they both lie outside the front door on the porch,about 90% of the time.

So to get in or out you have to trip/climb over them, they are not insignificant in size.

Any sitting on porch chairs for coffee or beer, or in fact just sitting ..... attracts both of their undivided attention in the hope of snacks !

in you are feeding them their snacks/treats and someone comes there is conflict of interest, which entails barking then running to the gate barking and bounding back for another snack ......repeat as required!!

1 hour ago, poohy said:

not if people are feeding your dogs when your not home to befreind them. happened to me. Thankfully i have cameras everywhere and am armed because no one else gives a *"':. Maybe ill feed them to my dogs..

20 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

My dog never barks!  It can but doesn't. 

my  dog  too  never  barks.................i  dont  have  one  or  inflict its  annoying  habits  on  others

13 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

not if people are feeding your dogs when your not home to befreind them. happened to me. Thankfully i have cameras everywhere and am armed because no one else gives a *"':. Maybe ill feed them to my dogs..

Yup agreed  to stop them eating poisoned bait They have been taught to only take food from me and Mrs P 

There is a serial dog poisoner (an elderly local farm) seems only to do it dogs wandering onto his property so as our gals are always inside it does not effect them.on that score

25 minutes ago, kannot said:

my  dog  too  never  barks.................i  dont  have  one  or  inflict its  annoying  habits  on  others

I live alone in a relatively remote area, so unlike you - I appreciate the warning barks.

My Thai neighbours aren't bothered by the warning barks (even though I suspect they are the ones causing the late night barks).

It seems likely that they also appreciate the odd barks during the night warning of a possibly unknown presence.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

So if somebody had an over sensitive car alarm that went off everytime someone walked past, that would be OK?

Barking dogs are a result of bad ownership. A responsible dog owner establishes ther alpha dog in the family putting the pet in line. Unfortunately often emotionaly needy humans give the animal  control of the household creating problems for the whole neighborhood. Then there's the last ass owner who let's ther dog deal with its anxiety by barking... bottom line domestic dogs should have controlled behaviors, just like kids.

And that's a whole other story....

20 minutes ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Barking dogs are a result of bad ownership. A responsible dog owner establishes ther alpha dog in the family putting the pet in line. Unfortunately often emotionaly needy humans give the animal  control of the household creating problems for the whole neighborhood. Then there's the last ass owner who let's ther dog deal with its anxiety by barking... bottom line domestic dogs should have controlled behaviors, just like kids.

And that's a whole other story....

So guard dogs shouldn't bark what utter crap!

I want them to bark as warning of people approaching thats what i train them to do!

For you info, no  i dont have neighbours and live in a remote area by choice 

Will they extend this law to crowing rooster too?

What about all the dogs wandering around free in the villages?  

What about the cats screaming and fighting on the garden wall outside my window in the night?

How about the loud croaking frogs or tokay gecko?

Its normal for a dog to bark occasionally.  

But, I agree and dog barking endlessly for hours throughout the night is another matter.

They'd have to fine and lock up 80+% of our village.  Virtually everyone has dogs.  At night, you get 'rolling' howl-and-bark episodes.  Dogs start at one end of the village, everyone picks up the chorus, and then it dies out on its own. 
My own dogs have different barks for different reasons.  One kind of bark for people/intruders especially at night, different bark for snakes, scorpions, and critters, and then the communal barking that I just call the nightly group Howl-In.  The majority of our neighbors have dogs.  They all bark. Like right now.  The village head just cranked up the village loud speaker and is playing music near 6PM.  All the dogs in the areas go into howl-mode for a minute or so and then stop.  Given most folks have dogs and they all bark and howl, I don't know who is going to be doing the complaining.  Villagers without dogs?  They're a rare breed in my village.  Dogs are not just pets, they are security.
Now, dogs howling and barking in gated communities with Home Owner Associations?  Now that a completely different can of worms.  You sign on to the bylaws so you keep your animals quiet. You pay people for security so keeping dogs is more of simply having a pet. And inside of cities.  Less people own dogs so their are is a much greater proportion of pet-less people to get offended. Even if they are protecting your house.
I think it's simply different based on where you live imho.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I live alone in a relatively remote area, so unlike you - I appreciate the warning barks.

My Thai neighbours aren't bothered by the warning barks (even though I suspect they are the ones causing the late night barks).

It seems likely that they also appreciate the odd barks during the night warning of a possibly unknown presence.

i also  live alone in a  relatively  remote area..........

Archived