3BB Router For High Speed Broadband Problems?

Brewster67

I have been on True broadband for over 5 years with no problems.

But over the past few months our internet connection started getting disconnected at the ISP end and would require a phone call to true to get it turned back on. 

I know why this is.. True are deliberately doing it because we are very high users of bandwidth, I use the connection to watch streaming through my android TV box, I also run my own Youtube channel and upload lots of videos, this is where I get a healthy income and so my connection is very important to me.

It is my estimate that they chop the connection every time we reach a certain limit deliberately, but the connection is now going off every 2 to 3 days which is unacceptable. I am starting to think they are deliberately doing this to purge high bandwidth users off their system because they deem them to be uneconomical. 

Anyway, I have decided to move over to 3BB but the wife has said many people complain that the router they provide has lots of problems. Can anyone else confirm this or describe what sort of problems they are talking about?... I really need to get away from True. they are an absolute joke.

Also do you know if they throttle the bandwidth for torrents or excessive streaming?... In my opinion if you advertise 'unlimited' bandwidth, then that is what you should provide, or can anyone give me any ISP recommendations possibly other than 3BB... I am currently on a 100/50 Mbps line.

Thanks for any help.

Got 100/30 Mb/s 3BB six months ago with their Router. It goes down maybe once a week for an hour or so, but overall no problems whatsoever. Usually 120 Mb/s according to Speedtest.

100/50 Gbps seems very fast!   LOL

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Got 100/30 Mb/s 3BB six months ago with their Router. It goes down maybe once a week for an hour or so, but overall no problems whatsoever. Usually 120 Mb/s according to Speedtest.

Oops, sorry, I meant Mbps.... Corrected.

I got a 3bb fiber optic router, its quite old, but when i bought it i also bought a better quality Asus router and put the 3bb router in bridge modus. That means it almost has nothing to do and my other router just takes over. I never have problems (only when its a area outage). So that is an option too.

Awaiting fiber here, last few months 100% connection 24 hours a day  no problems i stream a lot on kodi

We are In countryside so all bets off after storms etc and we had problems a few months ago with line connections, breaks on whole call center and  engineers helpful

Local office is home for the braindead

I have been a 3BB internet customer for almost 4 years. I initially had 20/4 VDSL for most of the first year, then upgraded to 30/10.  Nine months ago, I subscribed to 100/30 Fiber. I have never experienced any router/modem issues. I stream US TV, BBC I-Player, AUS TV, VUDU, Netflix from the US servers, game online with a PS4. I never experienced any speed, latency or limited bandwidth with 3BB. 

49 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

Anyway, I have decided to move over to 3BB but the wife has said many people complain that the router they provide has lots of problems.

My 3BB router is a Huawei that I get since I moved to VDSL (~2 years ago)

Never had any problem with this modem.

Never had problem either with the previous 3BB one I used for ADSL during ~6 years.

It seems they used well known brands, and not very cheap Chinese ones.

2 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

I also run my own Youtube channel and upload lots of videos, this is where I get a healthy income and so my connection is very important to me.

You are using a domestic connection for commercial purposes.

Maybe you should pay extra for a commercial connection.

21 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

95% of our use is domestic...

100% of our downloading is domestic.

To suggest that a youtuber should be using commercial ISP accounts is laughable at best.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

down once a week for 1 hour and no problem??? mine down 2-3 times week half hour to 1 hour at times but no problem!!! lol ... was so pissed that switched to True 6 months ago and NOT 1 time went down..... but better cross my fingers

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

My 3BB router is a Huawei that I get since I moved to VDSL (~2 years ago)

Never had any problem with this modem.

Never had problem either with the previous 3BB one I used for ADSL during ~6 years.

It seems they used well known brands, and not very cheap Chinese ones.

Where is the Huawei made?

51 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Or do what I did when we lived in Pattaya and needed to have working internet 24/7.

Get 2 lines in and each line from a different provider. In my case I used TOT and 3BB. In the 2 years I used it I had outages from both providers but NEVER both at the same time. (only of course when there was a power outage in the building ????)

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Or do what I did when we lived in Pattaya and needed to have working internet 24/7.

Get 2 lines in and each line from a different provider. In my case I used TOT and 3BB. In the 2 years I used it I had outages from both providers but NEVER both at the same time. (only of course when there was a power outage in the building ????)

That will not guaranty a 24/7 Internet.

By example if you have an electric cut, your laptop will still work but not your modem/router.

Best solution (IMHO) is to have a mobile phone with Internet as backup of your lined Internet.

2 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

95% of our use is domestic...

100% of our downloading is domestic.

To suggest that a youtuber should be using commercial ISP accounts is laughable at best.

Laugh away. You were the one talking about earning a healthy income and needing a constant connection. Domestic users do neither. I am a domestic user and so it doesnt bother me if my connection goes out from time to time, not least because I have a backup ready.

If you want a commercial connection you always have the option of paying for it. Up to you.

We have had 3BB for several years and a couple of years ago upgraded to fiber 200/100 mbps. After a few months of never actually achieving the promised speeds we had a technician come out. He told us the best we could do was 100/30 mbps so we downgraded our package. It works as advertised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Laugh away. You were the one talking about earning a healthy income and needing a constant connection. Domestic users do neither. I am a domestic user and so it doesnt bother me if my connection goes out from time to time, not least because I have a backup ready.

If you want a commercial connection you always have the option of paying for it. Up to you.

My income isn't affected, it doesn't stop making money even if I have no internet connection for a week, all the videos already on there are cash cows... I can easily upload when i have a connection, it only takes like 5 minutes two or three times a week.

17 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

My income isn't affected, it doesn't stop making money even if I have no internet connection for a week, all the videos already on there are cash cows... I can easily upload when i have a connection, it only takes like 5 minutes two or three times a week.

If you dont need the connection, what are you complaining about?

I remind you of what you wrote:

".....this is where I get a healthy income and so my connection is very important to me."

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

Yes, that's a good option albeit a bit expensive.

Personally I have a one-year 4mbs unlimited 4G SIM from True which I keep in a hotspot dongle for use in the car or at home during VDSL outages (very rare) or indeed in Thai hotels with dodgy wifi. They can be had for well under 50B/week.

45 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

If you dont need the connection, what are you complaining about?

I remind you of what you wrote:

".....this is where I get a healthy income and so my connection is very important to me."

It isn't affected, but sometimes I live stream and although I have not lost my connection during a stream it is important to have the peace of mind... Simple as that really.

And by the way, I didn't start this thread to complain about True, I started it to ask about 3BB routers and gave the back story.

I guess you are the type who trolls around forums trying to pick apart people's posts... Try to stay on topic, rather than getting in on the troll act... People prefer the actually helpful info, they are not here for entertainment.

Next.

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My modem/router is plugged into a UPS, it doesn't stop working during power cuts.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Then you need a UPS. Sorted.

No, an UPS can help, but not always.

I remember when a electric transformer blown up not very far and that, despite still having electricity in my condo, Internet stopped working. It was one of the 3BB technical cabinet that no more had electric power...

Still believe that 1 lined (router) access + 1 mobile (4G) access is the easier and safest solution.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

No, an UPS can help, but not always.

I remember when a electric transformer blown up not very far and that, despite still having electricity in my condo, Internet stopped working. It was one of the 3BB technical cabinet that no more had electric power...

Still believe that 1 lined (router) access + 1 mobile (4G) access is the easier and safest solution.

As we say in English....Belt & Braces.

Archived