3BB Router For High Speed Broadband Problems?

Brewster67

21 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Got 100/30 Mb/s 3BB six months ago with their Router. It goes down maybe once a week for an hour or so, but overall no problems whatsoever. Usually 120 Mb/s according to Speedtest.

100/50 Gbps seems very fast!   LOL

I've had 3bb for a couple of years.  Although it's a very friendly outfit that tries to solve my problem, I've never resolved an issue whereby the internet slows dramatically now and then for a few minutes or an hour. And for one or two weeks every few months it seems really unstable.

Others appear very satisfied.

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I've had 3bb for a couple of years.  Although it's a very friendly outfit that tries to solve my problem, I've never resolved an issue whereby the internet slows dramatically now and then for a few minutes or an hour. And for one or two weeks every few months it seems really unstable.

Others appear very satisfied.

Maybe your PC setup. Do a clean-up, CCleaner or Glary, do a clean boot, back up your C Drive then do a Windows clean install. Can only try.

23 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Maybe your PC setup. Do a clean-up, CCleaner or Glary, do a clean boot, back up your C Drive then do a Windows clean install. Can only try.

Yep, done all that.  Had quite a few devices hooked up at different times so I don't think it's the equipment.  Tried 2 modems out too. I'm going to ditch 3bb or back it up with a 4g package such as DTAC as that seems stable.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Yep, done all that.  Had quite a few devices hooked up at different times so I don't think it's the equipment.  Tried 2 modems out too. I'm going to ditch 3bb or back it up with a 4g package such as DTAC as that seems stable.

Where are you with your 3BB? I am up in the jungle, 35 km from civilisation (Phitsanulok) and mine is great. 

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Where are you with your 3BB? I am up in the jungle, 35 km from civilisation (Phitsanulok) and mine is great. 

Surat Thani. Mine isn't great at all. Anyway, I've finally decided to do something about it.  I'm not the only one to report a problem. I guess Thailand always has been hit or miss for me. I do understand the majority of people are very happy with 3bb.

12 hours ago, muratremix said:

Whatever you do, never get the lowest tier package (100/30).

Get top package if you'll hog bandwidth, and ISP will keep a blind eye if you pay 1200 baht + VAT to them. 

My 110/30 is great, usually over 120 Mb/s. If they start throttling me, I shall throttle my bank transfer every month!

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

My 110/30 is great, usually over 120 Mb/s. If they start throttling me, I shall throttle my bank transfer every month!

Yes, I think I'm on the same package but I don't get speeds like that.  I do use wifi most of the time.  Would that make a difference?

Mind you I was plugged in at my last place and it was still the same story.

46 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, I think I'm on the same package but I don't get speeds like that.  I do use wifi most of the time.  Would that make a difference?

Mind you I was plugged in at my last place and it was still the same story.

Yes it will. I connect both my PCs directly into the router via CAT 6 cables and get high speed. A wifi connection will probably be half that, depending on the actual router, and what you are picking up with, some phones/tablets are faster than others, and the more devices you have connected, down goes your speed and bandwidth. A VPN also cuts down the speed.

Ask 3BB to come out and check it, they've always been great with me.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yes it will. I connect both my PCs directly into the router via CAT 6 cables and get high speed. A wifi connection will probably be half that, depending on the actual router, and what you are picking up with, some phones/tablets are faster than others, and the more devices you have connected, down goes your speed and bandwidth. A VPN also cuts down the speed.

I agree they are a friendly bunch and they will gladly help. That's why I'm reluctant to quit.

Speed is not an issue after say 10mbs, but it's the instability that confounds me.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

3bb LAN 307.2 Mb/s WIFI 185

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

3bb LAN 307.2 Mb/s WIFI 185

Which package are you on please.My 100/30 gives Ping 8, DL 30, UL 30 on my phone, wifi. if I am next to the router. But move away and I am lucky to get DL 10.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Which package are you on please.My 100/30 gives Ping 8, DL 30, UL 30 on my phone, wifi. if I am next to the router. But move away and I am lucky to get DL 10.

200/100 1200 baht per mo.  Now for a week some free upgrade to 300.  Ping 52 ms.  Router D-Link Dir 825 bridge mode I think to 3bb Huawei.  Can move all over the house no problem.

dlink.jpg

Once you have had 100 Mb/s you'll never go back. Only WANT faster & faster, not really NEED.

I dang sure need much faster than 10 mbps. At that speed it takes forever to even install updates. 70 - 100 is the minimum for me, but will admit to getting a steady 265 - 350 mbps at our home back in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

I dang sure need much faster than 10 mbps. At that speed it takes forever to even install updates. 70 - 100 is the minimum for me, but will admit to getting a steady 265 - 350 mbps at our home back in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

350 milli bits/ sec isn't much.     LOL

On 1/30/2019 at 5:29 PM, wgdanson said:

Very interesting.  Yes those wifi readings are about average for me too.

I am about 20 feet away from my router, with just a thin wooden door between me and it.

The concern for me is how to avoid sudden dramatic drops in my speed, typically from a steady 30 to next to nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated a few drivers on my computers and also got AIS 4g as back up for when my broadband fails.  

But interestingly the speed also dips at the same time as the broadband.  I'm sure there is something peculiar to my area.

I have also borrowed my daughter's HP notebook which operates on 5ghz wi-fi.  The speed increases significantly, sometimes even matching ethernet, though the same dips occur.

I just think the internet here tends to be unstable.

On 1/27/2019 at 3:16 PM, Brewster67 said:

the wife has said many people complain that the router they provide has lots of problems.

Without understanding the router make/model, and the exact problems that many people are telling your wife about, this is challenging to address.

Over the years we've done many 3BB fiber installs, most with the Huawei HG8245H modem/router. I've seen 8045s and 8145s, but they may be using different kit today? (I haven't worked with any FTTb/VDSL installs. Most installs are 200/100, with telephony (02/fixed line hanging off the modem/router). Other than the occasional LoS, typically a brief maintenance issue, no real issues I am aware of. WLAN performance can be an issue is larger homes, and is addressed by using a secondary device.

3BB, and AIS Fiber, folks are EXTREMELY professional, responsive, courteous IMLE. 

Back to the same old problem for me on 3bb- for the most part it works well so I guess I should be satisfied at that, but I'm in a phase of instability for which there seems no solution other than switching to my AIS 4g, which is pretty costly on tethering.

I certainly agree with the above poster: the staff are very pleasant imo.

Archived