(quite) aggressive songtaew driver...

jil

3 hours ago, jil said:

I think the picture indeed says that the fare is 30 Baht for 1 person. I don't have a problem with that but he should have told me this in advance. At least, that's what I think.

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

The picture says "not more than 30 THB per person", so the fare can very well be less than that.

2 hours ago, jil said:

I think I've said all I wanted to say but I would encourage all people with poor reading and comprehension skills to keep on showing their lack of intelligence...

You come to Thailand to be nice to people, respect the culture, learn, be open, sincere...... and yet you are super, super, super mad because you can't understand their language, culture, and decide to get super, super, super mad at everyone over 10 baht.  

LOS for the Farangs who want everything in their native language, everything to be just like back home, then go to instagram for 100-years about how they helped everyone.  

14 hours ago, jil said:

I assumed the fare was still 20 Baht because no songtaew driver complained when I gave them 20 Baht the last few days. But like I said before, it becomes a different story when the fare has been raised indeed.

Then it becomes a misunderstanding.

I haven't taken the songtaew for quite a while either but I guess the price has gone up.

You might want to take the 20 baht RTC buses with air-cond next time if you're just travelling within the moat area.

13 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Reading this, I had to go back and check the date it was written. The standard fare went up about 8 months ago. There were several threads here on ThaiVisa about it at the time. For short rides inside the Old City drivers will still accept 20 without saying a word, but if you are going on a longer ride, they've been asking for 30 baht for almost a year now.

No wonder, the number of cheapskate tourists bicycling around seem to have increased. 

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

The picture says "not more than 30 THB per person", so the fare can very well be less than that.

Not more than 30 baht. LOL

I often see them overcharging Chinese tourists going on short distance by charging them over 50 baht per person.

Can somebody type the Thai characters so we can do a proper translation.

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

I often see them overcharging Chinese tourists going on short distance by charging them over 50 baht per person.

Actually, in the far right of the photo taken by the OP, it says "30 BAHT..." but the photo cuts off what, if anything, more there is. The last time I checked, the word "baht" is English. 

Can someone provide a photo of the rest of the notice, if there is more? 

And we all sort of skip over the "quite aggressive" part of the OP's post. How aggressive was he? Did he pull out a hidden screwdriver and threaten to stab you with it? Or do you mean "animated"? 

36 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Good on the drivers.  Hopefully the word will get out and the Chinese will stop coming here.

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

Can somebody type the Thai characters so we can do a proper translation.

It reads:

อัตราค่าโดยสารไม่เกิน 30 บาท/คน

Which translates as "maximum fare 30 baht per person"

Or literally:

อัตรา = the rate of...

ค่าโดยสาร = ...the fare...

ไม่เกิน = ...no more than...

30 บาท/คน = ...30 baht per person.

On 1/27/2019 at 5:02 AM, fruitman said:

I can't read a word thai, glad i don't live in chiang mai....will never go there  after reading this thread.

30 mean 30 in every language.  So, you wouldn't live in CM over ฿10?

On 1/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, jil said:

If the fee is indeed 30 Baht then it's a different story. I'm here for a few days and so far no songtaew driver said anything about it when I gave them 20 Baht. But again, if the fare has been changed after many many years from 20 to 30 Baht it becomes a different story. By the way, like I wrote earlier I didn't make a fuss about it so I think it's rather pathetic from you to assume I did so... 

This needs a complete investigation in regard to why nobody told you.... at least.

Stand by for a committee announcement.

Archived