Emirates BKK-HKG A380 Farewell

SheungWan

Following on from the recent news about the soon to be stopped Emirates BKK-SYD route, it appears that the BKK-HKG route is dropping the use of A380s in favour of B777s. My flight this week suddenly switched to a B777. I will miss the A380 on this short-haul route though the writing was on the wall with a mostly empty BC cabin upstairs and the ripping out of First in favour of more Economy seats. Emirates mostly cheaper than Cathay for BKK-HKG even though only one flight a day compared to Cathay's multitude. And the Emirates lounge still rather nice. For a short period some time ago, Thai tried out the A380 for this route. Seats in Economy with no legroom and food awful. And that was that. 

The A380 is a magnificent aircraft, in my opinion, and much better than its competitor, the Boeing dreamliner.

I had an all female flight crew (and cabin crew) CDG-JNB with

Air France last year and it was the smoothest take-off, flight and landing that I have ever had, on any aircraft.

The 380 is a magnificent plane but takes a long time to load. I normally use Qantas who share with Emirates Auckland BBK. 3 times a year. This last trip I booked a special with China Southern business, fantastic on their new 787 Dream Liner.

3 hours ago, allanos said:

The A380 is a magnificent aircraft, in my opinion, and much better than its competitor, the Boeing dreamliner.

These two planes are not in the same market at all.  Both magnificent but one seats 242 to 335 passengers normally in two classes and the other around 525 people in a typical three-class configuration.

5 hours ago, allanos said:

I had an all female flight crew (and cabin crew) CDG-JNB with

Air France last year and it was the smoothest take-off, flight and landing that I have ever had, on any aircraft.

Those two aircraft are not designed to compete.  The 380 has no direct competition while dreamliner (787) competes with the A350.

Archived