Wild dogs: Seven year old fighting for life after savage attack on Thai beach

webfact

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Artisi said:

easily made legal to those who have a need to shoot every soi dog found.

Bit of an overkill don't you think using an SLR to take out soi dogs, suppressed or not. Think of the collateral damage there would be with 7.62s ripping through the dogs.

Blowpipes are the way to deal with these, no anesthetic, just final doses. 

I live in a village just outside Khon Kaen had lots in a pack fighting all the time then all of a sudden gone. Think a few of the village men had a clean up  

I am from New Zealand and any dogs found roaming the streets are  

caught by the council dog control.nAll dogs have to be registered with a chip inserted. You get a fine of $250. People are made to control them.

these Thai dogs should have been shot. We need to have a few Chinese tourists attacked then the government may do something.

yes its fair to say that everyone is sick of this and one of the Pattaya papers has mentioned one or 2 jobs the locals did to clear the dogs. But then you have the feeders that go around in cars and feed them and leave. No responsibility but mean well.

I feel for the kid as she will be traumatized from this event.

I was attacked a month ago and it has nearly healed but I had to go through a lot of meds and shots to get things right - my costs. But I am many of my friends are now worried about these attacks as they are more frequent. 

I still think that forcing registration will cut down the amount of dogs and that the dog owners will be forced to pay the medical and other costs. Those in the street - well they need to be rounded up.

15 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

No it's just peeing in the wind that only slows the population growth while making the do gooders feel all compassionate in making a merit mode. Four million dogs need exterminating not a few thousand sterilised while most go on breeding. Unfortunately nothing will be done because Thais do not see it as a problem due to Buddhist teachings and probably more importantly a certain book. The country will always look like a third world dump until they do something about millions of strays.

Absolutely correct on the points above. Sterilization will slow the problem as it is impossible to sterilize every dog/bitch.

Add to this the additional animals abandoned that have not been sterilized to boost the soi dog community; there is no way of controlling this unless laws on ownership are radically changed with regards to responsibilities towards the animals.

If the root cause isn't addressed then it will be a 365 day a year cull.

I regularly see thais doing the rounds of feeding packs of stray dogs..some of them put collars on the strays to prevent the dog catchers taking them..There are now many strays in my area where 5 years ago there were none...The Darkside.

shame on you authorities,,,This is very bad, lawless country,,,You should look at law and regulations they have in Japan for dog's owners ,,, that's the way it should be here in Thailand, 

Last year a young girl {farang} got chewed up on the beach, not even the dog's owner help,,,  very sad  situation ,  and no one will do a thing for it,,,

Ok, I be the weird one.

So a 7 year old is allowed to play on the beach unsupervised being well aware of the dangers such as dogs and government should kill

the dogs ?

and if 7 year old drowned , should government empty out the ocean?

its truely amazing the amount of evil and vicious people Thai visa attracts .

what kind of parents allows a 7 year old on the beach alone in any place on earth , let alone in Thailand where there are wild dogs?

yes Thailand has a problem with wild dogs , yes dogs occasionally attack people , which is even more reason for parents to be extra cautious when letting kids play outside. 

21 minutes ago, p414 said:

I regularly see thais doing the rounds of feeding packs of stray dogs..some of them put collars on the strays to prevent the dog catchers taking them..There are now many strays in my area where 5 years ago there were none...The Darkside.

The feeders are just selfish, self centered people.

and should be jailed.

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Visit Santiago, Chile sometime and try to explain that to the locals.  Probably the most stray dogs I've ever seen in one place.  Next time you see news videos of street demonstrations there (pretty regular occurance) notice the dogs, they are not the pets of the demonstrators.

I think you are missing the point This is not Santiago this is Thailand and the people here just don't care and though there are rules they are never enforced. What happened to the 'registration scheme'? There is a family just a couple of houses away from me and they allow the stray dogs into their grounds where they continue multiply. I stopped counting at twenty. In addition now there are several new pups too and they are a menace to the riders & drivers. These neighbours clear the mess in their garden by burning it and that stench hangs around for quite a while. I had to clean the remains of one pup a couple of days ago outside the front gate. The pup not knowing any different didn't deserve that kind of death and I certainly don't deserve clearing up the mess. Apart from Rabies, these soi dogs carry other infections which prevent wounds from healing properly.

I hope this boy survives but he'll be carrying a lot of scars for the rest of his life. I hope he recovers.

8 hours ago, briansbiology said:

horrific. Thais need to stop thinking these feral dogs can coexist and start the culling. 

Thais........................ many just brain dead ,my final conclusion after 13  years..everything here is an accident waiting to happen and yet it  still continues, death after death after death, the least i have to do with the general population the better especially when it comes to their idiotic behaviour with dogs.

35 minutes ago, p414 said:

The  dogs  catcher in BKK stopped rounding them up as "some"  people complained, kin incredible eh

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I have not been here long, but have NOT SEEN one dog being walked on a leash, or as though it is owned.

All the dogs I have seen are looking starved, dirty neglected and unowned.

So this is normal ??

I have- tied to the back of a bike running like mad! Actually on the posher moobhans you do see responsible owners walking dogs on leads, just not enough of them.

I was in a hotel in Chaweng beach in August. The hotel hat put up a big picture of a dog that didn't look well at all. The caption was "if you see that dog don't approach". So they might well have been aware that dog hat rabies but killing it was too much to ask.

53 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Bit of an overkill don't you think using an SLR to take out soi dogs, suppressed or not. Think of the collateral damage there would be with 7.62s ripping through the dogs.

Blowpipes are the way to deal with these, no anesthetic, just final doses. 

It was only a tongue in cheek comment, we weren't really discussing the right calibre or weapon style for the job. But you're correct, blowpipe or even .22 short in the right hands is more than adequate. 

7 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

it is not a false dichotomy of 'bleeding heart dog brigade' vs the kill em all brigade.  Research shows that sterilization will bring down the stray dog populations, and that mean a concerted effort from the government to make this happen, not just the work of animal welfare charities such as Soi Dog.

Culling, however attractive it might seem, will not work long term - populations will increase again. Yes, these specific dogs should be put down as they are a danger, but a long term solution to the problem is needed not just knee jerk reactions that lead nowhere. 

Sterilization not only brings down the populations but also helps curb anti-social behavior in the dogs - males dogs become less territorial and aggressive etc.  However, this requires planning and thorough implementation, so I won't hold my breath. 

We had a big problem in the past with packs of dogs wandering the streets attacking people in the UK. We culled them. Any dog on the street, unattended was caged and given a week for the owner to collect it (with payment of fine, so very few owners collected), rehomed or failing that, a quick, painless injection.

Stray dogs on the streets quickly became a thing of the past.

2 hours ago, lks7689 said:

Not many will understand, but we humans are the one who are denying animals the space and resources to survive on their own. The only way this world is going is down like the dinosaurs because our fragile egos cannot accept any responsibility. Try being denied food, territorial freedom and subjected to constant abuse from another species and see how you behave? From the comments I have been reading here, I think the dogs are way more civilized than the real beasts that's spending their time posting here and savaging anyone or anything related to any issue in Thailand. I have spent enough time in Thailand to understand, you either accept it and respect it the way it is. Or you take your balls and get out of there. Those who are still staying probably doesn't have any. 

Dogs are made by Humans and brought here by Humans, they dont belong here. same as cats, rats and pigeons

37 minutes ago, BestB said:

if 7 year old drowned , should government empty out the ocean?

I have a very clear understanding of who and what is important in Thailand.

Even if the uneducated on Tv don't.  

images.jpg

Hope the little boy recovers very soon.

27 minutes ago, BestB said:

Ok, I be the weird one.

So a 7 year old is allowed to play on the beach unsupervised being well aware of the dangers such as dogs and government should kill

the dogs ?

and if 7 year old drowned , should government empty out the ocean?

what kind of parents allows a 7 year old on the beach alone in any place on earth , let alone in Thailand where there are wild dogs?

yes Thailand has a problem with wild dogs , yes dogs occasionally attack people , which is even more reason for parents to be extra cautious when letting kids play outside. 

Blaming the victim. Congratulations, you have just written one of the most nonsensical arguments on this site. That takes some doing. You should feel proud, or ashamed. I'll let you choose. 

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Whats it coming to when a young lad cannot play on the beach,

without nearly losing his life,and suffering horrendous injuries,

maybe now the powers that be will act and do something about

the dangerous menace that are feral dogs,they usually move to

do something AFTER the fact,so lets hope they get their finger

out and come up with an urgent solution.

regards worgeordie

The easiest option would be for the Govt to introduce a tail or paw bounty as used to be popular elsewhere & tie it to the main school summer holidays each year.

Archived