Wild dogs: Seven year old fighting for life after savage attack on Thai beach

webfact

14 minutes ago, Artisi said:

It was only a tongue in cheek comment, we weren't really discussing the right calibre or weapon style for the job. But you're correct, blowpipe or even .22 short in the right hands is more than adequate. 

A spade works, trust me.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jvs said:

What if you had kids and one got attacked like this?Still a peaceful easy feeling?

I am staying and last time i checked i still had them.

Agreed. When my eldest was 4 he was bitten by a security guards' mutt. Guess who footed the bill?

40 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I have not been here long, but have NOT SEEN one dog being walked on a leash, or as though it is owned.

All the dogs I have seen are looking starved, dirty neglected and unowned.

So this is normal ??

I cannot walk my own dog without driving into the hills because doing so from home would see both of us being attacked by the feral menace...& in this bizarre culture it will be MY fault!

9 hours ago, briansbiology said:

horrific. Thais need to stop thinking these feral dogs can coexist and start the culling. 

Totally agree, these creatures should be sold to Vietnam for the restaurant trade, at least they will have done something of benefit. I am sick of hearing do-gooders waffling on about how they are no problem and we should take them little treats so they don't get angry and attack us! The only little treat these bastards would get from me would come out of a 12 gauge in the shape of 00 Buckshot!

I also do not believe that all these curs are actually feral or wild, a lot of these dogs have "owners". The cops should hold anyone that encourages these filthy creatures by feeding them as responsible for them and fine / jail as appropriate. If they were chased on sight and people stopped feeding them they would move on and hopefully end up in a truck on a one way ticket to Vietnam.

Just been on the news, as usual about 12 people stood around the poor little lads bed, family received the obligatory 2 baskets of chicken essence and bunch of flowers from local government officers, spouting the same crap about doing 'something' about it.
<deleted>×#ing joke.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Totally agree, these creatures should be sold to Vietnam for the restaurant trade, at least they will have done something of benefit.

There was the dog wagon from Sakon Nakon. Any strays would be swept up along with any others that didn't have a collar. Good business it was too. They love their dog stew in Sawang-dan-din. Then Chan-o-cha got in and they stopped. In our village, I reckon there are about 200 dogs. Not so bad you might say!! There are only 100 houses!

There were 7 dogs outside our house this morning at 6-45. Fortunately, I knew all but one of them. Otherwise, they might have had me. Once they develop a 'pack' mentality, no-one is safe. I built a dog whistle a year or so ago, that run on electricity. It scared the dogs to other areas. Of course, this is not the answer. Just moving the problem along

I  lived in Vung Tao  vnam for a year ,and every week or two a man would ride his scooter by the house with a huge cage on the back full of the stray barely live dogs he was delivering to be slaughtered...I am a dog lover and owner and that was hard to watch..have a good one sir

Ah would have loved to seen that ! Of course the man would probably be behind bars for doing the right thing in LOS!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

The easiest option would be for the Govt to introduce a tail or paw bounty as used to be popular elsewhere & tie it to the main school summer holidays each year.

Bht 100 for every tail turned in to city hall - problem would go away very quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Bht 100 for every tail turned in to city hall - problem would go away very quickly. 

So what's to stop some enterprising lad/girl simply cutting off dog's tails. I like the idea; what about dog heads on the railings?

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Ok, I be the weird one.

So a 7 year old is allowed to play on the beach unsupervised being well aware of the dangers such as dogs and government should kill

the dogs ?

and if 7 year old drowned , should government empty out the ocean?

its truely amazing the amount of evil and vicious people Thai visa attracts .

what kind of parents allows a 7 year old on the beach alone in any place on earth , let alone in Thailand where there are wild dogs?

yes Thailand has a problem with wild dogs , yes dogs occasionally attack people , which is even more reason for parents to be extra cautious when letting kids play outside. 

Wouldn't you think that anyone not only kids should be able to the beach and not have to be aware of or likely to be attacked by a feral dogs, and then have idiots post that it's their own or their parents fault. Nothing like victim blaming is there, just confirms a complete lack of intelligence. 

33 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There was the dog wagon from Sakon Nakon. Any strays would be swept up along with any others that didn't have a collar. Good business it was too. They love their dog stew in Sawang-dan-din. Then Chan-o-cha got in and they stopped. In our village, I reckon there are about 200 dogs. Not so bad you might say!! There are only 100 houses!

There were 7 dogs outside our house this morning at 6-45. Fortunately, I knew all but one of them. Otherwise, they might have had me. Once they develop a 'pack' mentality, no-one is safe. I built a dog whistle a year or so ago, that run on electricity. It scared the dogs to other areas. Of course, this is not the answer. Just moving the problem along

More about the dog whistle and how to make it please.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

So what's to stop some enterprising lad/girl simply cutting off dog's tails. I like the idea; what about dog heads on the railings?

Let's not be pedantic, you understand the concept, change tail to a pair of ears, balls, or head - - same same ????

8 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

it is not a false dichotomy of 'bleeding heart dog brigade' vs the kill em all brigade.  Research shows that sterilization will bring down the stray dog populations, and that mean a concerted effort from the government to make this happen, not just the work of animal welfare charities such as Soi Dog.

Culling, however attractive it might seem, will not work long term - populations will increase again. Yes, these specific dogs should be put down as they are a danger, but a long term solution to the problem is needed not just knee jerk reactions that lead nowhere. 

Sterilization not only brings down the populations but also helps curb anti-social behavior in the dogs - males dogs become less territorial and aggressive etc.  However, this requires planning and thorough implementation, so I won't hold my breath. 

Why don't you read what you just wrote?

How is it in any way better to have sterilized savage dogs running loose than dead dogs not running loose?

The amount of planning and implementation, supplies of tranquilizers, in the right dosage for the weight of the animal so we don't have any accidental deaths from OD, and then the sterilization mission by a non-existent army of veteranarians and supporting staff all over the country - you are right to not hold your breath, since you know this country does not have the political will to make an effort to take care of its human refugees - vs putting a .38-cal. sleeping pill in their brains, whenever the situation comes up. 

Why will this simple solution not work long-term; and why would your fantasy humane solution solve anything? 

The breeding soi dog population is as capable of breeding new members just as easily if some soi dogs are sterilized as it could replace them shot  if they were shot. 

And why should savage dogs be treated with more respect than than criminal humans who commit the same crimes?

This is rediculous. The people ask the government to govern, yhey negate their responsibility to the people on account of cost. There is no thai thag you can speak to about this incident and the many others who would still want dtray dogs on the street. I had my brand new car damaged badly by a stray dog who just walked off a lane devider in front of my car. 20000 damage and no recourse to diminished value losses. The dog survived thanks to the rubbish cars they are making these days. Start the culling. I am sick of the noise, trouble, injury and damage they do. I love dogs but they need to be owned, loved, fed walked, leashed, licenced and tagged. The licence fee could pay for dog rescue services. 

30 minutes ago, thequietman said:

More about the dog whistle and how to make it please.

The actual dog whistle was like a small recorder. I bought it at a Market in Phen (Issan), I was a bit skeptical it would work but it was only 100 baht. I tried it and the dogs just wandered away out of range. I had a small, but powerful, fan. We have lights at the sliding gate. I did a bit of fiddling and put in a switch. The actual whistle I put in front of the fan held with some wire. At first, it had no effect, so I used a funnel (like for putting fluid in a can) and put the whistle in the stem end. We put it on the fence and it worked. The dogs gradually moved away. And kept away. If they thought about congregating outside I'd just switch it on.

I gave the kit to the wife's sister's husband, as it had done the job for me, and he had a problem. He has gone back to Ozz and I want to get it back. Last week the dogs started congregating outside again.

The big problem is that I'm worried when the daughter and her pals play outside.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I have not been here long, but have NOT SEEN one dog being walked on a leash, or as though it is owned.

All the dogs I have seen are looking starved, dirty neglected and unowned.

So this is normal ??

Yes its the Thai caring society that will harm no living thing, some  call this  Buddhism, I call it total crap, like all religions, but ive been reliably  informed if "billions  believe" something then it must be a fact

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Being ripped by a dog pack is a horrible way to go.

Time they solved this growing problem and disposed of all the free range dogs (owned or not).

Poor kid.

When I was in Oman, the police would put out notices every few months. Basically what it said was keep your dog in or wee will shoot it. They need to do the same here.

I hope the boy recovers fully from his horrendous experience

10 hours ago, seajae said:

way past time the authorities started rounding up all the stray dogs and euthanizing them. Its getting so bad you cant go for a walk without being bailed up by them, it really is beyond a joke. We have a dog and she stays inside our fence line unless she is on a lead, we have to carry a stick to stop the strays from attacking her. Trouble is many thais simply let their dogs roam the streets so they dont have to take care of them or clean up after them, euthanizing them is the only way this problem will be solved

"euthanizing them is the only way this problem will be solved".... You referring to the the dogs or their owners ?

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

The easy solution, designed for night time. Bit noisly though. I would suggest ear muffs.

images (76).jpeg

how do I get the ear  muffs on the dog? I dont want to damage its hearing

Archived