Vietnam, Hanoi trip

cornishcarlos

Could be the wrong forum but I didn't see a Vietnam section, feel free to move if a more appropriate forum is available.

I'm planning a short trip to Hanoi, March 25th - April 1st. Most of the time will be spent in Hanoi, hotel in the Old Quarter.

We will do a Halong Bay overnight tour and also an overnight stay in Sapa, coming back to Hanoi in between each tour.

I have done quite a bit of research and have plenty to keep us busy in Hanoi but...

Has anyone been there and discovered something worth seeing, that isn't listed on all the "top things to do" sites ?

Could be an exceptional restaurant, a sneaky city view that you stumbled upon, unlisted walking tour etc etc

Also, the average temps at that time of year look like low-mid 20s, is that accurate ?

Any other random tips, advice, thoughts always appreciated.

Do some online research; some western nationalities are required to have a visa before boarding the plane.There are two ways to get one:

1. Go to your nearest Vietnamese embassy.

2. Apply through an online visa agent - assuming you are not on a blacklist. they send you a pre-approval letter. You present this on arrival at Hanoi to get your visa.  It is a little cheaper than going to the embassy, and is sufficient for the airline to allow you to board.

I went there as a somewhat reluctant travel companion for someone who was anxious to go there. I wasn't expecting to be very impressed, and I wasn't. There is nothing wrong with the place, but I saw nothing exceptional either. Prices are about the same as Thailand.

No personal experience on this, but beware of crooked taxi drivers.  The airport is a long way out of town, and there doesn't appear to be any train, or easy to use bus service.  Most hotels will provide a car to meet and send you, at a price similar to the officially approved taxi rate.

There are sufficient ATM's in the Old Quarter that withdrawing money was not a problem.

7 minutes ago, allane said:

There are two ways to get one:

1. Go to your nearest Vietnamese embassy.

2. Apply through an online visa agent

And the third and easiest and most reliable way is to get it through the official Vietnamese government website.

They send you the e-visa by email in 3 days you present it to immigration on arrival.

Cheaper than an online agent and you don't have to wait in long queues on arrival to get the visa stamped in your passport (and pay again!)

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

I can't believe anyone is still using, or recommending the visa agents!

If you like good beer go to Hoa Vien Brewhouse (Czech beer) or Legends (German beer, same as Tawang Daeng in Thailand).

Of the local beers, I find Halida the best, or try the Hanoi Beer with the red label (the one with the brown label is horrible).

Try the local beer hoi, very cheap fresh beer, look for beer corner, it's a place where expats hang out and drink cheap beer hoi.

My g/f and her daughter and myself stayed in the old city and went to see the puppet show one evening while we were in Hanoi. Vietnam is known for their puppet show and it was very entertaining. It is about an hour long and they have shows throughout the evening. It is reasonably priced and the venue is very nice also. We were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the performance.

Yes definitely skip the visa agents as absolutely no need and chances are you won't even need a visa for trip under 15 days but depends on nationality so check first.

As for day trip to Sapa suggest you reconsider. It's over 300kms and takes 5-6 hours by private car so hardly worth it for a single night stay. Take a look here and maybe there is something else of interest:

https://www.travelfish.org/sights/vietnam/hanoi_and_surrounds/hanoi/hanoi#sights-29

As for arrival Hanoi pre book a hotel and have them set up a car to collect you. It's not really necessary but just gives you peace of mind and won't cost much more than the taxi.

For changing cash don't use the banks but use the gold shops. Just stick you head in a couple to get an idea on the rate then make your choice. Personally I always change upstairs at 67 Bac Ha in the Old Quarter.

Enjoy Hanoi.

16 hours ago, watgate said:

My g/f and her daughter and myself stayed in the old city and went to see the puppet show one evening while we were in Hanoi. Vietnam is known for their puppet show and it was very entertaining. It is about an hour long and they have shows throughout the evening. It is reasonably priced and the venue is very nice also. We were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the performance.

That's on my list for sure.. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Yes definitely skip the visa agents as absolutely no need and chances are you won't even need a visa for trip under 15 days but depends on nationality so check first.

As for day trip to Sapa suggest you reconsider. It's over 300kms and takes 5-6 hours by private car so hardly worth it for a single night stay. Take a look here and maybe there is something else of interest:

https://www.travelfish.org/sights/vietnam/hanoi_and_surrounds/hanoi/hanoi#sights-29

As for arrival Hanoi pre book a hotel and have them set up a car to collect you. It's not really necessary but just gives you peace of mind and won't cost much more than the taxi.

For changing cash don't use the banks but use the gold shops. Just stick you head in a couple to get an idea on the rate then make your choice. Personally I always change upstairs at 67 Bac Ha in the Old Quarter.

Enjoy Hanoi.

Thanks for the heads up on the Sapa trip... Maybe I will re-think that one and just do a day trip out of Hanoi into the countryside.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Thanks for the heads up on the Sapa trip... Maybe I will re-think that one and just do a day trip out of Hanoi into the countryside.

Huong Pagoda (The Perfumed Pagoda) is an easy and popular day trip out of Ha Noi.

Also Bac Ninh (or is it Ninh Binh? I always get the two mixed up) anyway it's Ha Long Bay on land. You get in a rowing boat and are rowed up a river that flows through limestone cliffs on both sides, includes lunch and the obligatory trip to a factory on the way back. It's a whole day affair.

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Any hotel recommendations in the Old Quarter please ?

I stay at the Golden Silk Hotel which is in Hoan Kiem district 2 minutes walk to the northern limits of the lake and a minute further to the Old Quarter.

We stayed at the Golden Rooster and loved it . The smallish hotel was just recently opened when we stayed and the rooms were very clean and pleasant. In fact, it was the best hot water shower I have ever had in a hotel. It was in the old city and a 7- 10 minute walk to the lake where most of the action is situated. The hotel had a great buffet as well as items you could order, all included, in their breakfast. I am sure their are other hotels just as nice but for what we paid and how clean and accommodating the hotel staff were, you would be hard pressed to find a better value for your money.

10 hours ago, watgate said:

We stayed at the Golden Rooster and loved it . The smallish hotel was just recently opened when we stayed and the rooms were very clean and pleasant. In fact, it was the best hot water shower I have ever had in a hotel. It was in the old city and a 7- 10 minute walk to the lake where most of the action is situated. The hotel had a great buffet as well as items you could order, all included, in their breakfast. I am sure their are other hotels just as nice but for what we paid and how clean and accommodating the hotel staff were, you would be hard pressed to find a better value for your money.

Another great idea - thank you

17 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Any hotel recommendations in the Old Quarter please ?

I'm looking at the Little Hanoi Deluxe, again in the Old Quarter and close to everything.

So far they have been very helpful and have offered a full package incl return airport transfers, accommodation, overnight Halong bay trip, 3hr walking street food tour and another day trip to Bai Dinh for less than $400/pp.. I could maybe organise it all myself and save a few $$$ but I'm actually happy to pay someone else to organise everything for me this time ????

We went to the circus while there in Hanoi. It was a old style, communist circus all the way. But, it was entertaining, was in this funky massive structure, and the choreographed routines and acrobatics was worth seeing. It was also inexpensive, if I remember correctly. The food is very good. Avoid Cat Ba island. Not much to see. Annoying local people. Halong is very scenic and the boats are very cool.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm looking at the Little Hanoi Deluxe, again in the Old Quarter and close to everything.

So far they have been very helpful and have offered a full package incl return airport transfers, accommodation, overnight Halong bay trip, 3hr walking street food tour and another day trip to Bai Dinh for less than $400/pp.. I could maybe organise it all myself and save a few $$$ but I'm actually happy to pay someone else to organise everything for me this time ????

Thanks for that, I'll check them out

I usually stay in the Golden Lake View, at the top of Hoan Kiem Lake and away from the madness of the Old Quarter but still close enough to make forays into it.

I believe it's changed it's name though, it's in the same little street as the Art Hotel and there's lots of nice little boutiques hotels in that street.

Archived